Print Thread
Hop To
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What are some of your favorite tools for measuring runout, neck concentricity and thickness, etc? Are the mult-function tools like the forster or rcbs the way to go?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Forster's ability to measure neck thickness, etc, but for strictly measuring concentricity, the Sinclair tool is easier and quicker to use. If forced to use one tool to measure it all, I do like the Forster.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Am using the Hornady and it gets me in the .001 to .0015 range or less. Good enough for my long range shooting...at this point in time.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I purchased the hornady concentricity gauge last summer. Extremely easy to use and easy to fix any runout you come across.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I splurged and purchased the AccuracyOne concentricity gauge and absolutely love it.

A word of advice, don't hangout at 6mmbr.com or you'll end up buying stuff like that.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've just stuck with the RCBS gauge, works fine for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by cast10K
What are some of your favorite tools for measuring runout, neck concentricity and thickness, etc? Are the mult-function tools like the forster or rcbs the way to go?

You do realize what a slippery slope this is? smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL. If you're already thinking about concentricity and such, you're already going downhill at 60 mph.
wink

I have an RCBS Casemaster in the classifieds if anyone's looking for such.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
LOL. If you're already thinking about concentricity and such, you're already going downhill at 60 mph.
wink

Truth has been spoken.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you guys measure runout do you count the total sweep of the dial total indicated runout or divide that measurement by 2 ?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Total indicated runout (TIR)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 28lx
When you guys measure runout do you count the total sweep of the dial total indicated runout or divide that measurement by 2 ?

Both. Total Indicated Runout is what is usually referred to. But with the Bersin tool in particular and maybe others you end up centering your indicator to sweep equally between the positive and negative runouts. On the negative runouts you use the Bersin tool to gently push the bullets back in line. You can go from say -.007 sweeps either way for .014 total runout down to .001 sweeps either way for .002 total runout. Sounds more complex than it really is...............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I've reached the platue on my concentricity endeavors. I've recently started neck turning and have switched to FL bushing dies on my most commonly loaded cartridges. I am still leaving the expander ball in the bushing dies and it is just slightly dragging on the neck on the upstroke. Majority of my loaded rounds are .002 or less with boat tail bullets. And flat base are averaging. 003 or less. I do occasionally still get a few .004 or higher but I've probably reached the good enough point for my needs. I'll experiment a little with the expander ball removed from the bushing die to see if i get any improvement but its making such light contact as it is I'm doubting I'll see much difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remove the expander ball! All it's doing is pushing out the necksizing you just did! The expander ball is the most common culprit in inducing runout when sizing brass........

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know this is heresy but at what point does it matter? Up to .002 doesn't make much difference in my hunting rifles with my shooting. Then one military study showed that greater than .006 and the chamber more or less straightened out the round when clambering. I am lusting after the 21st Century model but question if I need it that much. Using a home made one now. Where it would be helpful is verifying that I have set up the dies properly but I usually do this just once and then have either double lock rings or where appropriate an O Ring to float the die so one time deal for each rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,022
Posts18,500,450
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.