Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My FIL and MIL were two of the finest people you'll ever meet. I do miss both of them, a lot.

MIL passed a few weeks ago at 98, and the sons and grandsons that wanted guns all got something nice out of FIL's cabinet. My older BIL got an A5 shotgun, which was a nice choice and something that he will enjoy.

When all the picking was done, there was this one old piece left, that nobody in the direct line wanted very much. So they sent it to me. I'm a little gobsmacked. According to the serial number, it was made in 1947.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by denton; 04/21/18.

Be not weary in well doing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very nice indeed. I love a good, honest worn, pre-64 Model 94. I have several. Is yours a .32 Win Special or a .30-30?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks very interesting. Congrats sir.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Pre-64 Model 94, hard to beat those if your eyes agree with iron sights.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
25-35? 32SPCL? 30WCF?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great gun, great story.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The value is not in the item, it is in the fact that it belonged to a man you admired...and I cannot think of a better family heirloom to be passed down to succeeding generations.

His name on a piece of paper under the butt plate wouldn't go astray.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

The value is not in the item, it is in the fact that it belonged to a man you admired...and I cannot think of a better family heirloom to be passed down to succeeding generations.

Agreed. I carry my father's guns and my grandfather's guns. And every one has a tale.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nice ,got the long fore arm.A fella up at the lake has a bundle of old Winchesters.His grandfather had a gun shop in St.Paul Mn.He told me there was a room in the shop that Winchesters went in and never came out.He told me he had over three hundred of them,about every caliber they made.You have a nice one ,what caliber? Dabble

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kellory

Agreed. I carry my father's guns and my grandfather's guns. And every one has a tale.

You Sir are a rich man indeed...were I so fortunate.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd say you came out good. I'll bet there are some good stories it could tell. Looks like it was well used and well loved. Congratulations.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I was a kid, the father of a good friend of mine owned a very nice old classic hunting rifle and shotgun collection what he kept on display in his man den. Most of the time, they were secured behind glass in a traditional gun cabinet built into the wall. Often, he let me handle and admire them, but the one I always wanted to handle was the pre-64 (I think about the same date as yours, if not a little older) Model 94 carbine.

Well, my friend and I grew up, and his dad passed away, and a year or two later, I asked him about the Winchester. He said it was sold in an estate sale right after his father passed away. I was flabbergasted. He didn't keep one of his dad's old cherished guns.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's a 30-30.

Thanks for the thought about putting a note under the buttplate. I will do that.

It's precious enough that I hardly dare shoot it.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just passed down a shotgun to my son at christmas. Bought by my father, for his father, with his first real paycheck. Mossberg bolt action 12ga. With a poly choke. He used a single shot hinge action before that. I've taken many deer with it, and now it has gone 4 generations

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

When I was a kid, the father of a good friend of mine owned a very nice old classic hunting rifle and shotgun collection what he kept on display in his man den. Most of the time, they were secured behind glass in a traditional gun cabinet built into the wall. Often, he let me handle and admire them, but the one I always wanted to handle was the pre-64 (I think about the same date as yours, if not a little older) Model 94 carbine. Well, my friend and I grew up, and his dad passed away, and a year or two later, I asked him about the Winchester. He said it was sold in an estate sale right after his father passed away. I was flabbergasted. He didn't keep one of his dad's old cherished guns.

In that respect I am fortunate as my lass wants my Brno rifles for herself, and I truly relish the idea of my descendants using my rifles and is the main reason i am gathering the best that I can.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yes sir.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
From my FIL, I have a SXS 12 ga that once was a pretty high end gun. I think it’s a Saur or Merkel. He picked it up in Europe in WWII. He also picked up a SxS rifle that is in very good condition with lots of inlaid gold, a cartridge trap, adjustable cheek piece, multi leaf rear sight, and external hammers. It’s chambered in 8.15x46R.
My son has it.
Both are handled but not shot anymore.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
what a great gesture!

I have a beautiful Browning A5 and a very nice Remington 742, both from a brother in law. Another gave me a Glock 19, a Springfield 1911 A1.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a very nice inheritance. I treasure the guns I have received.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.