Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Going to Nevada this weekend. My CHL will cover me through Utah but I assume I'll have to unload and lock it in a case in the trunk away from the ammo to be legal in Nevada.
Is this correct?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was stopped just outside of Ely NV a couple years ago and I had a 380 with a loaded magazine, chamber empty in the pouch on the side of the door. The patrolman asked if I had any weapons and I told him about the gun. He had me give it to him, and he took it back to his vehicle and called it in I assume. He brought it back to me with the magazine unloaded and sent me on my way. He really didn't say anything about having it concealed .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
He kept your ammo? Or just unloaded the magazine for you?

Are you from another state with a carry reciprocity agreement?

Nevada recognizes my Tn permit and I'm flying into that state soon. I don't expect any probs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/nevada-gun-laws/
Go read the law and know what is and isn't legal.
I would also find info on a Nevada State web page.
Following advice on a WWW forum, is a great way to end up with a bunch of problems.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bart71175
I was stopped just outside of Ely NV a couple years ago and I had a 380 with a loaded magazine, chamber empty in the pouch on the side of the door. The patrolman asked if I had any weapons and I told him about the gun. He had me give it to him, and he took it back to his vehicle and called it in I assume. He brought it back to me with the magazine unloaded and sent me on my way. He really didn't say anything about having it concealed .

A cop actually told you to put a gun in your hand that previously was empty? If true, you met the worlds' dumbest cop.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Following advice on a WWW forum, is a great way to end up with a bunch of problems.

Well, anyway your advice was good. grin I checked the link.

Turns out I can keep it loaded and not visible in the vehicle so it can ride just like it does at home.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by 700LH

Well, anyway your advice was good. grin I checked the link.

Turns out I can keep it loaded and not visible in the vehicle so it can ride just like it does at home.
Thanks

If your going to Vegas, check Clark County law too, I have heard gun laws are more restrictive there, but like i said above, talks cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is not a state web sight, but it seems pretty legit.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/28398934/can-i-carry-a-gun-in-my-car

Seems the state has stepped up to the plate, and stopped having a gun law mess, by county, city, etc. as say Oregon.

Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That site mentions North Las Vegas as a possible exception.
My Grandson is currently based at Nellis AFB and when I talked to him yesterday he mentioned something that caused me to ask today's question.
Due to problems in North Vegas he has permission to carry a loaded weapon in his truck, even on base.
It must be double locked, as for instance, inside the locked vehicle and also locked in the console or glove compartment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will North Las Vegas Police arrest me for having a gun my car?

No! Enhanced preemption nullified the obsolete ordinance. An arrest is highly unlikely.

https://www.nevadacarry.org/car-carry.html

I also clicked the "preemption" link,
Even so why risk a confrontation with local LE, I would be cautious.

We're thinking about maybe being in Nevada soon, so I am glad to know this info myself.

Last edited by 700LH; 04/23/18.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Tracks,

If you expect to spend much time in Nevada get yourself a Utah permit, it's honored in both Nevada and Washington.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
That site mentions North Las Vegas as a possible exception.
My Grandson is currently based at Nellis AFB and when I talked to him yesterday he mentioned something that caused me to ask today's question.
Due to problems in North Vegas he has permission to carry a loaded weapon in his truck, even on base.
It must be double locked, as for instance, inside the locked vehicle and also locked in the console or glove compartment

That will do him a lot of good when he really needs it...........................

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
In Nevada you may carry a handgun, if you can legally own it, loaded and concealed in your vehicle. Open carry is legal, though not all that common in Las Vegas. Long guns can have a loaded magazine but no round in the chamber. I have lived in Nevada for close to 50 years and have been stopped by the cops in at least 6 counties while carrying. They almost always ask if there is a gun in the vehicle, but I have never been asked to show a permit or otherwise been inconvenienced.

Lately I would expect increased security in the hotels and public venues.

Tracks, PM me if I can assist w/ anything.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might add that in 2015 the State Legislature passed a preemption bill removing the rights of cities and counties to pass gun laws that conflict with state law. The state used to have a hodge podge of different laws depending on which jurisdiction you were in, now they are supposed to be uniform.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.