-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Would anyone know if ring mounts are available for:BSA BOLT rifle from the 50's.It is a short action 222 Rem. There are integral grooves on receiver and a round recess in rear groove to stop ring slippage.The grooves
are parallel.
I have searched online without luck. Thanks. Scott

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 1957 BSA Imperial Featherweight. The rifle has the ring and bridge cut with a 19mm dovetail to take a proprietary Parker-Hale ring set. It's a simple dovetail (not double like a Weaver or Picatinny) with a vertical dowel in the bridge to take recoil.

After three months of searching I was unable to find a set of the correct Parker-Hale rings for my rifle and scope, but I did find a message someone left about being able to use some Warne rings. So I called Warne a while ago and talked to one of their Randy at Warne, who knew all about the BSA and what rings fit.

They sell a kit with two CZ550 front rings to fit the BSA.

Randy said some BSAs don't have the dovetails on the ring cut all the way to the front; for those, the end of the dovetail acts as the recoil stop. Mine's cut straight end to end, though.

Warne makes that particular CZ ring in 1" or 30mm, and in "medium" (.425" high) and "high" (.535" high). They measure the height from the dovetail to the bottom of the ring, so add .50" or .59" to the centerline of the scope tube. They don't make a short ring for this application. All current production rings are matte finished; they're phasing out gloss finished rings.

Randy said Warne doesn't have a part number for the two-front-CZ-ring kit, so you can't order through their usual distributor network. But they'll sell you the correct rings directly for $58, plus shipping. Expensive, but 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the "correct" Parker-Hale rings, if you can find them.

My scope sits a bit taller in the medium-height than I wanted - my scope has a smallish objective - but the rings fit the receiver just fine; the BSA and CZ dovetails apparently have the same dovetail angles.

The CZ rear ring is supposed to have a square block that interlocks with a matching divot in the receiver to keep the rings from sliding with recoil. The Parker-Hale rear ring had a round dowel. The CZ front rings just clamp on, with friction holding them in place. I'm going to shoot the rifle a bit to see if the scope stays in place; if it shifts, I'll drill the rear ring for a PH-style dowel.

The P-H rings are apparently in short supply because they're the correct rings for some SMLE sniper models, and the SMLE collectors vastly outnumber the BSA owners.

Hanging arould to make good deals with adults AND to drive old FO even crazier.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Junior. This is a lot of info and greatly appreciated.Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (808outdoors, 300_savage, Akhutr, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 916 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,253
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.