Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
I buy it like this at TSC.

[Linked Image]

And mix it in one of these from HomeDepot.

[Linked Image]

The spray bottles at TSC suck.

That is what I use. I mix it a bit strong and I really think it is better than Sawyer brand. The last bottle of Sawer I had was ineffective, maybe it was froze once or not mixed well. Anyway the concentrate seems to be better. I put it on bandannas and tie those on the labs necks. Helps reduce the number of ticks. In some places each dog can have 50 without the bandanna. Some places, at some time around here get absolutely polluted with ticks. We have special treated clothes for our weekly walks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take that concentrated permethrin (like that shown above). I'll wet a washcloth with water, wring it out...then slosh a couple capfulls of the concentrate onto the washcloth. Then squeeze it together one good time....then commence to wiping my dogs down and working it into their fur real well. Under their armpits, belly, top of the tail and all over.

The dogs think it's attention and sit for it. If I try to spray them with anything they will bolt.

Anyway, the concentration is pretty strong and I'll apply it about once every couple of weeks in the summer. The ticks here are horrible. I do this TOO in addtion to the Frontline products. Plus I spray Demon EC (cypermethrin) about 30ft into the woods and brush where it meets my yard areas.

My dogs are strictly outside dwellers.

All said, the permethrin concentration rate if I was to guess is probably about 10% applied rate. Sounds quite strong. However, I have seen pharmacy grade 5% permethrin used on Retards for de-lousing in some nursing homes I've done IPM for.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Picaridin; that's the stuff I couldn't remember the name of! Great stuff. Not only doesn't eat plastic, but it's much more pleasant on your skin.

Don't waste your money on what they sell in the store. Amazon has the good stuff that's much stronger.

I've been using insect repellants with Picaridin since I found out it they existed because it works as good as DEET and is less toxic. It's hard to find but I have found OFF containing Picaridin. I used to take sulfur tablets and use sulfur powder on my legs and around my waist which kept the chiggers and ticks off. I haven't found a tick on me (or any deer) since the fire ants moved in years ago.

Last edited by victoro; 04/26/18.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Permethrin is the way to go. Ticks and chiggers will eat you up at where I hunt in GA during the warm season. Purchase Martins 10% permethrin and make your own spray. It's a lot cheaper than buying the spray put out by Sawyer.

The Martins label calls for (1) part concentrate in 19 parts water for a 0.5% ratio. That's the same % listed in the Sawyer Permethrin. For easy measuring, just use 1 oz permethrin in 2 cups water (16 oz)

https://www.domyown.com/martins-permethrin-10-p-2124.html

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I spray my snake boots & pants from the knee down & have never, ever had a tick on me in years of hunting the tall grasses.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2sticks
Is there any product that really keeps them of you? Short of being in a swimming pool.

powdered, or 'flowers' of sulfur works. Rub it around your waist, ankles, sleeves. They won't cross it. Deep Woods Off does a fine job as well. I spent last week camping in the Ocala NF. My buddy picked up a bunch of Lone Star ticks, I only found two.

Sam......

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Saresto collars are great until they fall off. Bravecto given once every 12 weeks or Nexguard given every 30 days work well, too. No matter which product you choose, get your dog vaccinated against Lyme disease if you are in an endemic area.

Has anyone on the fire been tested for Lyme disease on a regular basis? The CDC estimates this is a badly under diagnosed disease. Heck, most of our dogs get tested annually when the heartworm test is done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We don’t have many ticks around here and have never had even one on any of our dogs from the west side but when we lived in Chelan I removed 3 or 4 from our dog but that’s over several years.

Ticks and chiggers creep me out but it’s the democrats that really make me sick.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Nothing worse than a tick on your asshoole

Or your pee hole. It goes on both sides of the toilet.

So I've heard...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have gotten my ass chewed up by chiggers down in N. Georgia! Good God I just about wished I was dead.
My stacked blond girlfriend and I were out in the woods picking black berries and we got into them. Didn't even realize it at the time.
Thank God there was a pond right there and we went out right then into waist deep water and had some hot sex for about a half hour, think that must have washed off about half of the chiggers.

I hope there is something to prevent them because they are real bad asses.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by aalf

That schit works. Tick free.

I use this stuff too, on my clothing and my dogs. And yes, it also protects against chiggers. It's an absolute must if running your dogs or hunting in Kansas in the late summer or early hunting season.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,235
Posts18,485,710
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.