Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i've seen my brother shoot dove out of the air with his.

Better than some hunters with a 12ga I've seen!

I read in some magazine years ago that the national average for dove is a bird a box.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wasnt much with a sling shot, but I spent hte better part of the early 80's with a wrist rocket, and I was down right scary with it.

Even if the memory is that I was better than the reality, I was STILL damned good.

Its in the shed. Me at 11 could kick my ass rught now

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i should ask my brother if he'd be interested in making some more out of antlers if anyone would like one. don't know what he'd want for one.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dad used to fill an empty 22 mag case with molten lead then slide a 22 LR inside the mag. Good grouse ammo. He'd aim for the neck and was pretty deadly with them.

I use a sling shot, but think sling, swing around your head type.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Dad used to fill an empty 22 mag case with molten lead then slide a 22 LR inside the mag. Good grouse ammo. He'd aim for the neck and was pretty deadly with them.

Sounds like too much work. I use excess hexnuts from work. If I want heavier shot, I fill the hole with lead.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kellory

Sounds like too much work. I use excess hexnuts from work. If I want heavier shot, I fill the hole with lead.

A nice rock wasnt enough to kill musk rats 99% of the time, but they did a job on canada geese and ducks when head hit.

Squirrels, like we all know, are tough SOBS and require a good head hit with a nice chunk of lead.

Rabbits die very easy, but there werent too many.
We used anything handy, including chips and crap from the old Motorola plant across the street (long since gone)

I'd say 75% rocks, 15% marbles, and 10% anything else we could find.

I freaking loved it. One of the things in life I was good at. Peaked early in that regard, I guess.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 04/28/18.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Uhhh... OK.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Or you could buy slingshot ammo, which is super expensive...

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i've seen my brother shoot dove out of the air with his.

Better than some hunters with a 12ga I've seen!

I read in some magazine years ago that the national average for dove is a bird a box.

I don't doubt it.

In the South, a lot of people wouldn't dove hunt because of the Bible. When I was a kid a lot of guys wouldn't hunt on Sunday either.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DryPowder

In the South, a lot of people wouldn't dove hunt because of the Bible. When I was a kid a lot of guys wouldn't hunt on Sunday either.

What?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Taconite pellets make great sling shot ammo!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't doubt it.

Some of the best southern hunting I've ever had was a fat alcoholic bible chick on a Sunday afternoon trying to swallow my bobber. She knew how to hunt and fish and she liked to drown the victim.
It was glorious.

WetPowder

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

What?

It used to be a different world 40 years ago. The whole town pretty well shut down for the weekend between noon and 5 oclock Saturday afternoon. Lots of people believed nothing needed to die on Sunday and a lot people wouldn't kill a dove because of the blood. I didn't live much of it but I remember it.

Some people wouldn't cook on Sunday either. The food was cooked on Saturday and reheated Sunday to eat.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No offense, but I find that odd.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I don't make the news, I just report itgrin

Like I said, it was a different time and some people were pretty hard core about what they believed in and doing what they thought was right. The last time I remember someone talking about the blood in a dove was around 1990. That guy is probably around 70 now.

Last edited by DryPowder; 04/28/18.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes I have killed a bunch of stuff with a sling shot. Marbles was always the preferred ammo. Tennessee flip, nig4er shooter, what ever you want to call it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used to carry a homemade slingshot and a handful of marbles when I first hunted Coues deer. I'd "work" the heads of brushy canyons and when I felt i was in position to shoot a buck that would try to slip out, I'd flip a marble across the canyon. Rolling rocks made the deer bust out running, but a marble bouncing down a hillside made them curious and they'd run to an opening and try to find the source. After I graduated to Swarovski binos, I retired the slingshot. I'm sure it would work today on days when Arizona's little deer are holding tight in the brush.

Bill Quimby;\

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You better double check what your getting into.

blue laws

Florida
Several counties prohibit the sale of alcohol and sex toys on Sunday and during certain hours.[citation needed]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

A nice rock wasnt enough to kill musk rats 99% of the time, but they did a job on canada geese and ducks when head hit.

Squirrels, like we all know, are tough SOBS and require a good head hit with a nice chunk of lead.

Rabbits die very easy, but there werent too many.
We used anything handy, including chips and crap from the old Motorola plant across the street (long since gone)

I'd say 75% rocks, 15% marbles, and 10% anything else we could find.

I freaking loved it. One of the things in life I was good at. Peaked early in that regard, I guess.

All sorts of projectiles work, but accuracy comes from consistency. Same size and shape, same weight, same movement. Just like bow hunting. I run through a lot of nuts and bolts at work, so hexnuts are what I use. (Free, and very uniform in size and weight. )

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
In high school in the 60's and working summer oilfield jobs in the coastal plains southwest of Victoria i always carried a " sling 'shot. I used rocks and killed quite a few rabbits and several prairie chickens. Had a pet hawk i had rescued as a big fledgling i fed the rabbits to, uh iirc. whistle

If you hit a jack just behind the shoulder, over the heart it would run a bit before starting to circle before falling over. Breast is about all the meat you get off a prairie chicken. Legs are pretty sinewy.

I had spent summers on grandads farm as a kid and did a lot of ni cker chooter chooting. I have killed a few quail flying and several bull bats over water holes in the evening.
Riding in the back of a work truck from one place to another on the huge OConnor Ranch in the summer jobs i got pretty good with one.

Summers after 10 and 11 grade i was pusher of the high school gang of JP Johnson and Son and we kept the locations oiled down and brush cut out from around oil and gas wells and facilities to keep rattlers away from areas pumpers had to visit.

I would have a high school kid drive the crew truck when we travelled to different locations and i would sit on top of the crews cab behind the truck cab and let fly at quail or rabbits. A quail flying away or standing by the road was in real danger.

I thought i was pretty good when i managed to head hit several bull bats over waterholes in the evening until i figured out they just thought it was a fast insect flying buy and they made an accurate but unlucky lucky grab at the rock as it went by their head.

That Quintana Oil Field is where we were going down a ranch road early one morning and noticed a commotion up ahead where a ranch gang truck was resting by the road. All the Mexican hands were out and in action on the road. That was big country years ago with 10,000 acre lush prairie with mesquite and oak mott areas. Big deer too of which i have taken a few. Its fertile country and raises heavy beef and fat rattlers.

I still get pissed about it as i should have been ahead of them that morning had i not been detained earlier, and got the prize myself. They had run over a huge yellow mottled diamond back that was at least 8 ft long if not 9 and broken its back. Then in typical South Texas indian fashion had each used a shovel or hoe to count coup. That snake was thicker than my thigh at, i figuer near 10-11 inches. Dayom, i wonder what its skin would be worth today. Its head was as big as two fists together.

I have killed several 6 ft rattlers in that country over the years and after a wet spring with plenty of cottontails i have seen 4 foot snakes thicker than a mans arm.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/29/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 16 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.