Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
High level philosophical question,,,,

Would you rather have a DNR full of neutral, possibly non-hunting, foresters and biologist directing hunting and land management versus a bunch of QDM zombies that say screw the forest, other game species, and farmers and let the deer population get out of control?

I'll take my chances with the neutral party than have a bunch of QDM Nazis shove their rules down my throat and how to hunt on my farm.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd take the QDM people if they actually knew what QDM is and how to correctly implement it rather than the ignorant fools who think QDM is shooting "big" bucks only or those who manage for a maximum number of deer whether the habitat can sustain it or not.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been involved with a multiple ownership contiguous 1000+ acre private land parcel camp in NW MN about 40 miles west from Northern Dave since the mid 1980's. Our land is surrounded by mostly inaccessible public land that has within the last ten years become a wildlife management area limiting access for the general public unless the public is willing to walk , which most are not . In the 1980's we used to see more moose than deer. Then moose disappeared. Deer hunting was good until a few years after the Skime area disease outbreak resulted in the sharpshooting of many uninfected deer causing wolves to move west since there were less deer in the Skime area. We now have a large black bear and mountain lions population living in our area and wolves that move through the area every few years in addition to the well established coyotes . Deer hunting varies depending upon the predators but large antlered deer are still taken every year in the area by those either lucky enough or skilled enough or willing to actually hunt for the deer instead of drive trails/roads and shoot whatever they see. Disagree with much of what the MN DNR does but most of the issue is that deer license buyers in NW MN today do not have many of the skills required to successfully hunt the wily whitetail in forest environments IMO. Flame suit on and looking forward to other viewpoints. I do not do facebook so am oblivious to that method of communication.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No flame suit needed! One thing some don't realize is that the wolves cycle through. If you don't have wolves in your area and you did in the past...there is a reason. The deer moved out.

I enjoy deer hunting in MN. But it's not because of the deer. It's because of the hunt. There is no where else in the US that you'll experience deer hunting like you can in northern MN. New England may come close though.

We can go round and round about the DNR on this thread but we all know it's not going to change anything.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
wolves ? in the skime area wolves seem to stay in that area a lot because one big rancher calf`s in spring and another big rancher calf`s in the fall, both are within a mile or 2 apart ,so federal trapper is in that area setting traps a lot. Many of us in this area hope the next new Governor is not a liberal like our current governor goofy ! Jeff Johnson seems to understand our DNR problems and if he becomes Governor things just might change ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by SKane
MN and WI both have a multitude of issues in the northern halves of the state.
Yeah, wolves, bears, and some improper management are involved. But rarely do I see mentioned the lack of cutting on National Forest lands, and, in my mind, it's the biggest of the enchiladas.

The young growth that all wildlife needs to flourish is either in very small pockets or it simply doesn't exist at all.

Extreme winters have not helped the cause of late either.

Scott, the forest areas around our camp are being harvested full swing, have been regularly for quite some time now. I honestly get a little nervous that soon nothing will be left lol. Hopefully this helps our deer rebound from the bovine TB management disaster we had in our area.

As far as this topic and some of the comments, I'm not for a more detailed management plan. We are hunters, the king allows us to take a deer from his kingdom in trade for money paid to the king. That's enough goddam management for me. When you drill down deeper with fine print conditions on how to hunt the kings deer, the king can shuvhisdeeruphisass. It's a liberal move and I'm sure liberal hunters would love it.

"this state sucks, there are no big horns, I need the big horns and it's the states fault for not making everybody pass on the small bucks"

I say F-you, go hunt somewhere else if you think it's someone else's fault that you can't find a big buck. If you are to that point where you want the state to throw conditions on all of your fellow public land deer hunters so that you might be able to get a better deer more easily, I'd really rather you just get your checkbook out and buy yourself a high fence hunt. If I choose to pass on a small buck, that's fine. My decision. But the thought that my kids or other young hunters can't shoot a spike or a basket because some QDM Nazis got there way on a state level? F that, I'll go to war againstthatshit.

We have big bucks, and you don't have to own a bunch of land to get them. You do have to put some work into your hunting efforts though (or many times people just get stupid lucky with very little effort). That's the way it's always been and that's the way it should be.

I think hunting and fishing regulations should move forward with the rule that for every single new regulation, two old regulations need to go away.

Some guys might find it hard to understand, but big horns are not a priority for all hunters. Detailed management efforts to improve the "quality" of the deer because some hunters figure all deer should look like high fence freaks, nope, F that. No thanks.

Spot on you must be reading my mind. Though I hunt in Missouri.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (2UP, 160user, 06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 24 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,179
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.