Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by driggy
I agree with most, but since no one has mentioned it, I recommend you go to Mt Rushmore in the evening. Get there a couple hours before sunset and check things out. At sunset they put on a small show, recognize veterans on stage if you want to go up there ( I did), retire the flag, and do a lighting ceremony of the faces. My wife is Korean and she had a nephew come a visit one summer. We did a tour of SD and WY. He was pretty so-so about the rest of the trip, including Yellowstone, but was most impressed with the Rushmore part of the trip.

This ^ is good advice. The best time by far to visit Mt. Rushmore is for the lighting ceremony. In fact, that is the only time we go anymore.

Custer State Park is not to be missed. Needles highway, Wildlife loop, Badger Hole etc. Buffalo, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, mountain goats. The resorts and camping and the dining and the hiking and the whole experience is first class. Mammoth Site in Hot Springs is good, esp for boys. The national caves, both Jewel Cave NM and Wind Cave NP, are spectacular. Badlands NP is good too, a plus for the Badlands is that its relatively easy to get up close and personal with bighorn sheep there.

The only things between Black Hills and Billings are Devils Tower and Little Bighorn Battlefield. If those are important to you then by all means, there are no wrong answers here. I myself would drive by Devils Tower and wave, get off the interstate at Buffalo or Sheridan and go over the Bighorns and into Cody before ranging up into Montana. There are things to see in Montana as well.

Three places I'd stop:

The Alpine Inn in Hill City, SD
King's Saddlery in Sheridan, WY
Poet's Table near Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park

Have fun!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Timely topic for me. I’m not a fan of hotels, am thinking of pulling a lil travel trailer behind a pickup. Dumb idea? Will there be camping spots available or should I just plan on taking a tent and forgoing pulling a trailer through this itinerary ?

Depends a bit on when and how you go. I would not want to pull a trailer through the worst heat of summer, and some passes in the mountains would be difficult and downright scary. For the most part, its tailor made for pulling a trailer, I'd say.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks wytex. I hate following a schedule, I like to stay in one place as long as I’m having fun, and not move on till I’m ready.

Figure that’s more doable f I pull our hotel behind us

Thus first run gonna allow 4-6 weeks. Have wanted to do this with my bride for a long time now

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 05/07/18.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can anybody tell me about the Wort Hotel and Silver Dollar Bar in Jackson Hole?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I made a similar, shorter version of your trip in 2001 or 02 with some friends, but we never made it down to Colorado as we only had a week and we drove from Mississippi. Almost three full days in YNP was great, but we rushed through and definitely could have stayed longer. We were young and energetic, so we hiked to dozens of the overlooks and color pools, etc., and every one of them was worth it. I don't recall the traffic being that bad, but apparently it has gotten worse in recent years as I've read numerous complaints.
We drove through Teton National Park on the way out, and I really wished we could have spent more time there as the views were spectacular and I know there was a lot we missed. We played in the snow in July, which was a big deal for MS kids.
Crazy horse was kind of a let down after seeing Rushmore, but the arrowheads and artifacts at the visitor center were great. Visitor center is free and next time out, I'll just stop there and not pay to walk up to the monument.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tagging for future reference. Headed there in a year when wifey retires.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Timely topic for me. I’m not a fan of hotels, am thinking of pulling a lil travel trailer behind a pickup. Dumb idea? Will there be camping spots available or should I just plan on taking a tent and forgoing pulling a trailer through this itinerary ?

Here is the camping information for Yellowstone N.P. and Grand Teton N.P.

Yellowstone

Grand Teton

If you can plan a visit for around the time school starts, you may have better luck. The campgrounds usually fill up pretty quickly during peak season. Mid-September has the elk rut and fall colors going on.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. Visit the Mt Rushmore Museum in town and watch the video it is well worth the time and effort for a better review of the history than the monument itself.

Also, take the time to watch the video at Crazy Horse. It's basically a bio of the man that started the monument. The work that old coot put in to get it where it is today is unbelievable!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
B n C Buck: Be sure and take a detour into the Beartooth Mountains, Beartooth Plateau area via Beartooth Highway - fantastic viewing and even 1/2 mile hikes are rewarding.
Before that be sure and stop and do the Custer Battlefield - the new center there is very well done and worth the effort.
Then when in Jackson Hole be sure and do breakfasts at "Bubba's" and for lunch be sure and hit "Bubba's" and for dinner "Bubba's" is by far the best value in town!
When doing breakfast at "Bubba's" be sure and order "The Workers Special" - its not on the menu and you need to ask for it.
Enjoy your touring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: I have never been to a "Silver Dollar Bar" in Jackson Hole, Wyoming but I (and Willie Nelson!) have been to the "Million Dollar Bar" in Jackson Hole, Wyoming!
Great place - look it up on Google the pictures of it are amazing yet don't do the place justice.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yep "Million Dollar Cowboy Bar."
Jackson is a cool little town,kinda touristy though,
Grand Tetons are spectacular.
As mentioned Buffalo Bill's Museum in Cody
Spend as much time as possible in YNP,we went in 4 different days,(never seen a grizz),I've been out 3x and have never seen one,it was hard getting the family up ,fed and out the door early enough,
All and all,my 3 boys 21,16,13 at the time said it was the best vacation they have ever had,(would've liked to cut down the driving) was the only complaint.
You will enjoy any or all that you can fit in,

Last edited by rong; 05/07/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Cheyenne

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Granite Hot Springs outside Jackson....certainly off the beaten path.

McPhails Burgers for a casual dinner in Jackson.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fabulous trip. Took 3 of our 6 kids from central NY to Chicago for architecture tour on to Mall of America and Corn Palace then of course Devils Tour(KOA showed Close Encounters every night) Crazy Horse then Mount Rushmore on 4th of July. Forgot Cody Wyoming and the Custer Museum ( We were there the day Bill Ruger died- the curator discussed with me the concern about the large Ruger display - would the family leave it there or withdraw it? ) Not sure what happened this is a don't miss place, On to Yellowstone - toured that for a week - sooo much to see. then started home thru Missouri and Kentucky, etc, took us 6 weeks to do it all in our Class C RV but trip of a lifetime for the kids. Wife and I plan to redo it next year in the Fall by ourselves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hatari: I have never been to a "Silver Dollar Bar" in Jackson Hole, Wyoming but I (and Willie Nelson!) have been to the "Million Dollar Bar" in Jackson Hole, Wyoming!
Great place - look it up on Google the pictures of it are amazing yet don't do the place justice.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Excellent!

Just booked 3 nights in Jackson and 5 in Cooke City for Sept.!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
50 miles west of Cody is the East gate to the Park. There is a campground there called the Pahaska Teepee. Look for an old two story log cabin that was Buffalo Bill’s hunting camp/cabin. Lots of early pictures on the walls of hunting in the park with famous people like Rosevelt.

Should stay overnight in West Yellowstone and see the bears and hear the wolves howl in the morning. IMAX theater there could be showing a film on Yellowstone.

Have fun

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I grew up 2 hours from YNP, and went almost every year, some years more than once. First, it never gets old, and there's still stuff in it I've yet to see. The suggestions of things to see that you've got are all good. There's a lot to do w/in 2 hours of the park to the south and west. Mesa Falls is great, and there's some lesser known falls in the area that are great as well. Yes, a float on the Snake is great too. If you fish...well that would require a whole other thread. I'll add that it's a bit of a side trip, but Craters of the Moon NM is another amazing place in its own unique way. It's about 4.5 hours from the west gate, however. Two more things, one going through right now with flowers just starting and new born animals (bison calves are the most seen) is neat, and second you haven't fully experienced it until you've been there in the winter. Enjoy!

Last edited by NTG; 05/07/18.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,951
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.