Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have always had a lot of respect for Justice Thomas and his position on the issues. So far as I know he has always decided issues based on the constitution. When I boot up my computer I get links to several articles. One of the most recent was from Slate Magazine entitled "Ginni Thomas Shares a Conspiracy Meme, Creates More of a Mess for Clarence. I don't know how to link to it, but if someone can, I would appreciate it. After reading this article I have gained a lot of respect for Ginni Thomas. She gets exactly what's going on and is not afraid to say so. Of course the author of the article would not agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One side recognizes the truth and exposes it. The other side screams "foul!" and stomps their feet.

Wonder which one is right?

LOL
45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SandBilly thank you for linking to that article.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ginni Thomas is at it again. On Saturday, the conservative activist and lobbyist—and spouse of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas—shared a meme on her Facebook page accusing Democrats of engaging in “a silent coup, not just against Trump, but also against the very premises of our constitutional republic.” The meme, which came from the Citizens [sic] Mandate, featured an image of George Soros, the liberal donor often at the center of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories about malign “globalist” machinations. Americans, the meme declared, “will decide if they want to reward those who are engaged in [the] silent coup” at the ballot box in November.

Ginni has long been on the far-right fringe of the conservative movement, but in recent months, she’s escalated her rhetoric against perceived political enemies. She has alleged that President Barack Obama “rigged” (unsuccessfully) the 2016 election for Hillary Clinton and that Robert Mueller is “going to fabricate whatever fake scandals [are] needed to take down Trump.” But by sharing this “coup” language, Thomas has taken an aggressive new stance—one that yet again creates thorny ethical issues for her husband.

Let’s say a 2018 race were contested all the way to SCOTUS. In light of the fact that, as part of her lobbying work, Ginni has claimed that Democrats are engaged in a “coup” that must be thwarted to save “our constitutional republic,” should Clarence Thomas recuse? Under federal law, the answer is likely yes. And if Clarence Thomas served on any other court, Ginni Thomas’ posts might compel him to. But because he sits on the Supreme Court, there is simply no way to make him respect his ethical duties.

It’s often claimed that Supreme Court justices do not follow any code of ethics, but that’s not quite right. In theory, the justices are supposed to follow the same code of conduct to which all other federal judges must adhere. Moreover, federal statutes governing recusal and financial disclosure apply to all federal judges, including the justices. The problem is one of enforcement: There is currently no mechanism to force the justices to comply with these rules. If a lower court judge improperly declines to recuse herself from a case, a litigant can ask a higher court to adjudicate the dispute. But SCOTUS is, by constitutional command, the highest court in the land. There is thus no higher authority to step in when the justices do not adequately police themselves.
There is no higher authority to step in when the justices do not adequately police themselves.

Congress has considered various solutions to this predicament. In 2011, House Democrats pushed a bill that would create a new court, made up of judges or justices, to weigh in on SCOTUS recusals. The late Democratic Rep. Louise Slaughter repeatedly introduced bills to increase transparency among the justices by declaring them bound to the ethical rules of the federal judiciary. Senate Democrats have introduced a similar measure that would obligate the justices to follow the judicial code. Sen. Elizabeth Warren touted the legislation after Justice Neil Gorsuch spoke at Trump International Hotel to a group bankrolled by the same foundation that helped to fund litigation against public sector unions in a case before the Supreme Court.

Yet as Brookings’ Russell Wheeler has pointed out, were any of these efforts to become law, they would immediately encounter several hurdles. First, the Constitution commands the establishment of “one Supreme Court”; if Congress created another court with authority over SCOTUS, it could arguably create a second supreme court, in contravention of the Constitution. Second, only parties to a case may request a recusal—which they almost never do at the Supreme Court. Would that change if some body had power to enforce recusals? Maybe, but it’s no sure thing given the high stakes. If the recusal challenge fails, after all, the targeted justice may be embittered toward the party that asked him or her to sit out the case. (Virtually all calls for a justice’s recusal in recent years have been made by outside groups eager to highlight perceived conflicts of interest. When the Sierra Club asked Justice Antonin Scalia to recuse from a 2004 dispute, he responded with a howl of defiant rage.)

These obstacles are, of course, hypothetical, and they may be surmountable, but it doesn’t much matter so long as a majority of Congress remains indifferent to SCOTUS’s ethics. Controversies flare up now and then, like when Scalia accepted lavish trips from private sponsors or when Thomas did not recuse himself from Affordable Care Act litigation despite his wife’s fervent lobbying against the law. For the most part, though, Americans don’t appear especially worried about the justice’s relatively laissez-faire self-regulation.

Ginni Thomas seems almost determined to change that. As I reported in April, her activism has largely shifted from direct political lobbying to Facebook—where, on her verified page, she has shared memes attacking Obama, Clinton, Mueller, David Hogg, Andrew McCabe, DACA recipients, the Girl Scouts, and the American Civil Liberties Union. She has also touted a meme blaming gun control for the Holocaust featuring a photo of the famous shoe exhibition at the Holocaust Museum. And now she has accused Democrats of engaging in a “coup” to bring down Trump and “our constitutional republic.”

Ginni’s views should not be automatically imputed to her spouse. Yet her very public stances, which ultimately promote her political lobbying firm, raise a legitimate concern under the federal recusal statute—which, again, purports to cover the justices. That law directs the justices to recuse themselves from any case in which “his spouse … has a financial interest in the subject matter in controversy or in a party to the proceeding, or any other interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding.”

Even a narrow reading of that statute indicates that the Thomases may have crossed an ethical line. Gabe Roth, executive director of the pro-transparency group Fix the Court, told me that “it’s not difficult to imagine that Justice Thomas’ votes in certain cases over the years may have translated into more consulting work” for his wife—“even as the judicial ethics statute dictates that a justice ‘shall disqualify himself’ from proceedings that could impact his spouse’s livelihood.” Ginni Thomas, for example, raised a substantial amount of money lobbying against the ACA. Her husband then voted to strike down the entire law.

The spouses of Supreme Court justices are assuredly allowed to hold political opinions. But Ginni’s extreme activism is her livelihood. She doesn’t just have views—she has an “interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome” of Supreme Court cases. Under our current ethical regime, though, there would be no way to force Clarence Thomas to even consider recusing himself from a case that has consequences for his wife’s bottom line. The system is badly broken. And its flaws allow Clarence to enact from the bench the same political agenda that his spouse relentlessly promotes. What a coup.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...creates-more-of-a-mess-for-clarence.html

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
IC B2

45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fireball2 the truth is there for all to see if they only open their eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My kind of gal!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have always had a lot of respect for Justice Thomas and his position on the issues. So far as I know he has always decided issues based on the constitution. When I boot up my computer I get links to several articles. One of the most recent was from Slate Magazine entitled "Ginni Thomas Shares a Conspiracy Meme, Creates More of a Mess for Clarence. I don't know how to link to it, but if someone can, I would appreciate it. After reading this article I have gained a lot of respect for Ginni Thomas. She gets exactly what's going on and is not afraid to say so. Of course the author of the article would not agree.

Slate is a lieberal bunch of liars. I wouldn't give a thought to what they say as thought is a process they are precluded from by their bias.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yep. Some are blind or refuse to see, can't tell which, but I'd guess both are at play.

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Ginni is just on her own, poisoning swamps scum. Gotta love her.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Here's what "Slate" mentions after the article:

"One more thing
The Trump administration poses a unique threat to the rule of law. That’s why Slate has stepped up our legal coverage—watchdogging Jeff Sessions’ Justice Department, the Supreme Court, the crackdown on voting rights, and more.

Our work is reaching more readers than ever—but online advertising revenues don’t fully cover our costs, and we don’t have print subscribers to help keep us afloat. So we need your help.

If you think Slate’s work matters, become a Slate Plus member. You’ll get exclusive members-only content and a suite of great benefits—and you’ll help secure Slate’s future"

Slate needs to be put on a slab.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yep. Some are blind or refuse to see, can't tell which, but I'd guess both are at play.

I'm not sure "refuse" is the right word as I think some are just completely incapable of cognitive thought.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RickyD I don't dispute your opinion of Slate magazine. I was referencing Mrs. Thomas's remarks about Soros involvement in the deep state coup. The writer's opinion is what one would expect from the deep state liberals. Mrs. Thomas thinks the same way I do about the liberal takeover Soros is funding.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well it's verifiable that there was and continues to be an effort to rig the election in Clinton's favor and get Trump out of office.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
RickyD I don't dispute your opinion of Slate magazine. I was referencing Mrs. Thomas's remarks about Soros involvement in the deep state coup. The writer's opinion is what one would expect from the deep state liberals. Mrs. Thomas thinks the same way I do about the liberal takeover Soros is funding.

Certainly I understood that. I posted the request for funding so all could see who Slate is. Thank you for posting what you did.

45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We are on the same page.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm liking this couple!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 48 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,476
Posts18,508,643
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.