Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
James, what Is the yellow ?

I call it wild mustard. It gives the hay a better flavor.....lol. Only kidding. This was a field that we no tilled wheat and fescue in after corn. We're taking it out of crops and are going to pasture it. The wheat was sowed late, had too much water on it, and there was a mix up on the fertilizer order, which resulted in not enough being put on this particular field. It's a wonder I even had a good enough stand to cut.

Wheat cut at this stage makes good hay, just takes a while to dry down. I plan on tedding it tomorrow and we'll round bale it Monday.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well James, it's good to know you're not too old to cut the mustard. laugh

We are rained out here, again.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm cutting wheat for hay. Pretty old school here compared to you big farmers out west but it gets[Linked Image] the job done. [Linked Image]

Looks like you have a bit of infestation with mustard.. A pita, that... We get it here too. For those that wish to get a bale or two of straw for garden mulch, they pay attention to just WHO they get it from.. Nothing worse than a bale contaminated with mustard..

Curious as to whether any of you out there have any issues with Yellow Nutsedge? On the wetter grounds here it can be a miserable sob to get rid of..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck

Curious as to whether any of you out there have any issues with Yellow Nutsedge? On the wetter grounds here it can be a miserable sob to get rid of..

It's an issue down here. I spray for it.

The bigger problem is Rice Sedge... That stuff is highly invasive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I remember Mickey Coleman struggling with nut sedge in his garden. He was going to try spraying with a mixture of molasses, or using dried molasses that He had heard was a fix. Don't know if He ever did, or how it turned out. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well James, it's good to know you're not too old to cut the mustard. laugh

We are rained out here, again.

[Linked Image]

Damn, I wish I'd written that!

Cheers from Sweden,
John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That looks like the dog leg on the 9th.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Where's the trees?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Barry, that red tractor is all ready for the parade!

Jim, we didn't get much rain. Just enough to make the top a little sticky. Oh well, at least you guys got something.

Oldman, I'm curious to hear about other areas as well. And of course it's always interesting to here about local stuff.

Jimy, we have tree's here on the river!

I always figure 20 acres an hour with the drill at 5mph. Stop to fill up roughly every 2.5 hours and it takes an hour to reload(by myself).

200 acres a day would be good for us.

Sam, we had 1/2” Wednesday night and a little last night NE of Shelby. Ran the seeder up until midnight to finish a section ahead of it.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya this field you double seed more then you don’t the crazy hills. My grandpa must have been smoking some real good [bleep] when he decided to break this

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by C_Hell
Ya this field you double seed more then you don’t the crazy hills. My grandpa must have been smoking some real good [bleep] when he decided to break this
HAH.. Those ain't hills, those are gentle slopes compared to the fields I saw last year near Independence, WI.. I literally have NO idea how they plant/harvest anything on those fields w/o rolling the tractors about 6 times before they hit bottom.. I swear they're 45 degrees or more.. Just nuts.

But your pic above of those wide-open spaces looks like pure heaven to me.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you have a bit of infestation with mustard.. A pita, that... We get it here too. For those that wish to get a bale or two of straw for garden mulch, they pay attention to just WHO they get it from.. Nothing worse than a bale contaminated with mustard..

This was no till wheat, and the usual practice is to spray and burn down the existing vegetation before planting. That I did not do, as it was late, and I wasn't sure the Roundup would work that well, and besides we originally weren't planning on cutting the wheat for hay. I had drilled fescue with the wheat, and was planning on grazing the wheat, then pasturing it this spring. But, we had an early cold spell which meant that the wheat didn't get big enough, and we didn't get the field fenced, so I decided to cut it for hay after all. There was a lot of cheatgrass in spots too, so this field won't make what it should. I cut another field of wheat on ground that was in tobacco last year, and the two combined should give us enough hay to see us through the winter.

I hate having weeds of any kind in my hay, because it's usually going to mean seeds that get spread. One of our worst weeds around here is wild buttercups in the spring pasture. They're hard to get rid of, because when you spray for them, you'll kill your clover. I sprayed a low rate of 2-4-D last year, which burnt them down, but did not hurt the pasture. They came right back this spring. That's something I've got to figure out how to deal with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Man these jumps in oil prices have really got stuff crazy around here now. I think we got a mini boom
Coming back. Heard Williston has up to 2000 available jobs. On the farming part closing in on 60 percent done. 10 days or so we’ll have her stuff is drying out incredibly fast going need another shot of rain soon

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr

This was no till wheat, and the usual practice is to spray and burn down the existing vegetation before planting. That I did not do, as it was late, and I wasn't sure the Roundup would work that well, and besides we originally weren't planning on cutting the wheat for hay. I had drilled fescue with the wheat, and was planning on grazing the wheat, then pasturing it this spring. But, we had an early cold spell which meant that the wheat didn't get big enough, and we didn't get the field fenced, so I decided to cut it for hay after all. There was a lot of cheatgrass in spots too, so this field won't make what it should. I cut another field of wheat on ground that was in tobacco last year, and the two combined should give us enough hay to see us through the winter.

I hate having weeds of any kind in my hay, because it's usually going to mean seeds that get spread. One of our worst weeds around here is wild buttercups in the spring pasture. They're hard to get rid of, because when you spray for them, you'll kill your clover. I sprayed a low rate of 2-4-D last year, which burnt them down, but did not hurt the pasture. They came right back this spring. That's something I've got to figure out how to deal with.

Good info - thank you.

Yeah, first crop hay will be cut starting this Thursday, I think - and that crop is usually chock full of dandelion growth.. But once that's done and ready for 2nd crop, the alfalfa's quite clean. We also need rain here - haven't had more than .3-.4 since the last 15" of snow melted.. Gettin' very dry.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you tried wiping the buttercup?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Filming the neighbor girl.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you boys get a little nervous on a grade? Me too as I rolled a tractor in 1974. Carry on

Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 14,508 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,168
Posts18,542,964
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.