Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I thought Ted Williams was a baseball player who sold shotguns for Sears & Roebuck???

And long since dead. This Ted Williams is/was writing for Autobon.

Veteran conservation journalist Ted Williams, who for years has penned the Incite column for Audubon magazine, has been suspended and had his name removed from the publication's masthead, after he wrote a column on controlling feral cats for the Orlando Sentinel.

Endangered Species & Wetlands Report

----------------------------------------------------
He wrote Autobon for Audubon grin

Last edited by nighthawk; 05/11/18. Reason: Posting while sleepy

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Apparently, they all failed to learn the history of America's founding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joel Vance used to be something with the Missouri Game and Fish and used to write articles about training his Brittany Spaniels and bird hunting. Haven't heard anything from him in quite a while. No wonder.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Many of these so called writers are also into fishing. What they fail to realize is that the left is starting with firearms, but they also want to do away with fishing. I wonder what they will say when their preferred sport is on the hit list?!

Elk country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I remember reading a couple of hunting articles by Paula. IIRC, she wrote for one of the more obscure gun/hunting rags that no longer exists. Again, IIRC the articles weren't half bad but it has to be close to 20 maybe 30 years ago.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, what great qualifications are required for the title "gun writer". Any knowledgeable firearms person knows that joke - a ruse, for openers. What is the political agenda of the Huff Post? What is the best way to shove that false story down their throats?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeez, guys, get yer nuts outta the washer-wringer!

OF COURSE the HuffPo's "gun writer" petitioners are a buncha commie environmental whack-jobs. OF COURSE they ain't REAL gun writers. It's the fecking Huffington Post, after all.

Nobody takes HuffPo seriously any more except the most left-leaning libs. Even CNN doesn't quote HuffPo any more.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Huffington Post published the following under the signature of eight "outdoor writers" advocating for gun control, Leonard Lee Rue was the only name I recognized.

An Open Letter From Hunters About Gun Reform
headshot
Daniel Ashe
Guest Writer

GRINVALDS VIA GETTY IMAGES
We are Republican, Democratic and independent. We come from the East, South, Midwest and West. We are conservative, progressive and liberal. We are men and women. We include eight members of the Circle of Chiefs, the highest conservation honor of the Outdoor Writers Association of America. We are all different in many ways, but we have important commonalities. We are Americans; we are gun owners; we are hunters; and we support responsible firearm regulation.

Yes, the Second Amendment conveys a right to “keep and bear” firearms. But rights come with responsibilities, and we all have a moral responsibility to address America’s crisis of gun violence.

We avoid the term ”common sense,” understanding the wisdom in Voltaire’s words ― “Common sense is not so common.”

Perhaps nature’s unpredictability, or the predictability that either our abilities or our equipment will fail at the most inopportune moment, have conditioned us to find solace in simplicity. We believe simple and responsible steps can and must be taken to end the cycle of gun violence and tragedy to which we are all witness in today’s America.

We do not need AR-15s or any assault-style weapon to hunt game.
We are at a turning point. There are now 265 million guns in private ownership — more than at any time in our nation’s history, and owned by a smaller proportion of the population than ever. Only about 30 percent of Americans own guns, and about 60 percent live in gun-free households. The long-term trend away from gun ownership will continue. As people who own and use guns respectfully, we feel an urgency to speak up for a simple, sensible approach.

Hunters and hunting are also declining. In 1955, 10 percent of Americans hunted. Today, it’s less than 5 percent. But the positive image of the hunter as a skilled and conscientious “sportsman” is being abused in defense of an out-of-control gun culture.

Most hunters own guns principally to hunt game. We use them safely and respectfully: If someone is injured during their use, it will most likely be a friend or family member, since that is who we hunt with. We don’t buy a lot of guns. We usually have a few favorites, often passed down to us by fathers or grandfathers. The gun industry figured that out decades ago, and switched to creating guns for a different market.

That’s not to say that all hunters are like-minded on the issue of regulating firearms. As our numbers have dwindled, many have found a comforting alliance with Second Amendment radicalism. But we believe this is not representative of most hunters, and certainly not the tradition of the hunter-sportsman.

We do not need AR-15s or any assault-style weapon to hunt game. That’s not to say some people won’t use them to hunt. But they are simply not necessary, and are actually not preferable for legitimate, fair-chase hunting.

We believe that simple, responsible reforms in firearm policy are an urgent necessity. Hunting and hunters should not be seen, or used, as a shield against constructive bipartisan solutions. We see the need and opportunity to frame compromise between the Second Amendment’s right to keep and bear arms and the Fifth Amendment’s right to life and liberty.

Subscribe to The Morning Email.
Wake up to the day's most important news.

addressemail.com
Here’s where we would begin:

1. An age minimum of 21 years to purchase any gun;

2. Anyone on the Terrorist Screening Center’s “no-fly list” may not purchase or possess firearms;

3. Anyone on Social Security disability due to mental illness may not purchase or possess firearms;

4. Prohibit new sales of semiautomatic assault or tactical-style weapons;

5. Prohibit new sales of semiautomatic shotguns or rifles (except .22-caliber rim fire) that can hold more than 10 rounds;

6. Prohibit any accessory designed or mechanical modification intended a) to increase the rate at which any firearm may be discharged; or b) to increase the magazine capacity of a semiautomatic rifle beyond 10 rounds (except .22-caliber rim fire);

7. Mandatory and universal background checks for all firearm sales;

8. Prohibit sales of firearms except through registered/licensed dealers (no direct private sales);

9. Enact gun violence restraining order authorities allowing courts to temporarily prohibit a person from purchasing or possessing firearms when a family member, community welfare expert or law enforcement officer presents evidence of a threat; and

10. Repeal the “Dickey ban” on scientific research in the area of gun violence and implement the Institute of Medicine’s 2013 gun violence research agenda.

These suggestions are simple to implement and enforce. They do limit the rights of honest and law-abiding citizens, but they are responsible limitations that do not infringe the ability of Americans to hunt, shoot, or protect themselves and their families. And in comparison to the 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who have been stripped of all of their rights, and of life and liberty, it is a small price to pay.

There are simple, responsible solutions. No one should use hunters and hunting as an excuse to avoid pursuing them.

Daniel M. Ashe, former U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director
Ted Williams, environmental journalist*
Paula Del Giudice, outdoor writer and hunter*
Mike Furtman, outdoor writer and photographer, hunter and former gun dealer*
Jim Low, former president of the Outdoor Writers Association of America and 13-time recipient of the Izaak Walton League’s Outdoor Ethics Communication Award*
Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III, wildlife photographer*
Brian Rutledge, conservation leader and naturalist
Scott Stouder, outdoor writer, conservationist and lifelong hunter*
Dr. Kris Thoemke, outdoor writer, conservationist and hunter*
Joel Vance, current member and former president of the Outdoor Writers Association of America*
George Harrison, retired nature journalist*

*Member of the Circle of Chiefs, the highest conservation honor of the Outdoor Writers Association of America

"Gunwriters", my hairy black arse they are.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zumbo isn't on the list?

Oh, wait, his writing career ended a long time ago...

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need someone to explain to me what, exactly does the Second Amendment have to do with hunting?
Unless we're talking about hunting down corrupt politicians, would be tyrants, and other such other threats to our Republic, nothing at all.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the Izaak Walton League left wing?

I was looking for someone to supply a venue for a Boy Scout rifle league several years ago and a local Izaak Walton League offered to host us. We went and checked out their facilities and were guided by an old hippy lady who made constant jokes about drug use. The facilities sucked and there was no way I was going to put my boys in contact with that old biddy.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket

OF COURSE the HuffPo's "gun writer" petitioners are a buncha commie environmental whack-jobs. OF COURSE they ain't REAL gun writers. It's the fecking Huffington Post, after all.

Nobody takes HuffPo seriously any more except the most left-leaning libs. Even CNN doesn't quote HuffPo any more.

Look no further than this. Posted on twitter by Liz Heron, Executive Editor of the Huffington Post:

Notice anything about this Huffington Post editors meeting?

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Look no further than this. Posted on twitter by Liz Heron, Executive Editor of the Huffington Post:

[Linked Image]

Those comments are a scream, still chuckling along about the gay black jewish clansmen.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Pugs
A quick look @ https://classic.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/norindsea.shtml

Shows at least Daniel Ashe and Joel Vance are contributors to the Democratic Party

Brian Rutledge is on the staff of the Audubon Society, not exactly a mainstream hunting advocate anymore.

Look @ Paula Del Giudice's Twitter feed - Another left wing greenie - https://twitter.com/pauladelgiudice?lang=en

That's 10 minutes work. Seems like a little more research and the full Zumbo may be needed to open their eyes to that facts.

I'm tellin' ya... It's all a liberal lie.

Made to look like gun control has such strong support that even the gun writers are onboard.

Too damn bad Joaquin Jackson is pushin' up daisies. He'd join their cause. For free.

You got Joaquin right!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

[Linked Image]

The picture is telling...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
More BS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't realize there was a difference between a progressive and a liberal? Along with the 20 other nicknames they steal from the dictionary to sound like anything other than Communist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They could have saved a bunch of print and typed this:

1. All Hunting and any other shooting activities have been abolished for the safety of our children, communities and the environment.
2. All Americans must turn in their guns (exceptions made only by government approval).
3. The Constitution of the United States is now considered null and void. It will be replaced with the New World Order Manifesto.
4. All subjects shall submit themselves to government assessment at approved community locations.
5. Turn in all suspicious behavior from ANY associations to your local Community Bureau, in order to be cleansed and redirected to best benefit the New World Order.
6. Commit yourself to the New World Order and follow all stipulations required by the new government or suffer the maximum consequences.

Signed, (Hopefully) Your New Global Progressive Masters:

Daniel M. Ashe, former U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Communist
Ted Williams, environmental Communist
Paula Del Giudice, outdoor writer and Communist
Mike Furtman, outdoor writer and photographer, newly minted Communist
Jim Low, former president of the Outdoor Writers Association of Communism and 13-time recipient of the Izaak Walton League’s Outdoor Ethics Communist Award
Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III, wildlife Communist picture taker
Brian Rutledge, Communist leader and naturalist
Scott Stouder, outdoor writer, preservationist and lifelong Communist
Dr. Kris Thoemke, outdoor writer, preservationist and Communist
Joel Vance, current member and former president of the Outdoor Communist Association of America
George Harrison, retired nature Communist

Pretty close to the original article and about every other liberal editorial?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My family's entire income for more than half a century has come from outdoor writing, and editing and publishing books, magazines and newspapers about hunting and fishing, all of which means I probably am more qualified than many who hold membership in OWAA.

The only time I was tempted to join was in the late 1960s/70s when the group held its annual convention in a Mexican beach town. I was shocked to see members running around with their hands out for freebies from manufacturers. The seminars were so basic they were laughable. The organization and its convention was nothing I wanted to associate with.

I did not renew that one-year membership and have never regretted that decision.

Bill Quimby

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 12 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,926
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.