Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
https://federalnewsradio.com/your-m...ic-private-pay-gap-at-widest-margin-yet/

Government employees also work fewer hours than private employees and have always had better benefits. The pay gap has been there for decades, not years. But the lie lives on.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
You are being sarcastic, I hope. There in Clayton County they have about a dozen substations. There is one, out in the country in a nice neighborhood, where they average one call every 3 days.
That is where old guys waiting for retirement go because the young bucks want action!
Lorne spent his last 5 years at that substation, every 24 hour shift there was one chance in three you would run a call, and a good chance that call was a dumpster fire, or a seizure. Yes, we know that firemen risk their lives every day, these firemen were at risk of being bored to death.

This guy is speaking the truth about Clayton Co.

Not too many high rises on Tara Blvd to catch fire.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Harry M

Government employees also work fewer hours than private employees and have always had better benefits. The pay gap has been there for decades, not years. But the lie lives on.

The government has not been of the people, et al, for at least 50 years, so yes, I was talking decades not years.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm surprised that no Kalifornia cities are mentioned. Heck, the state is deeply in debt. E

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Speaking of government retirement plans, several years ago I was listening to the Mike Rosen radio show here in Denver and the discussion was about PERA, the Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association.
A guy calls the show saying he is an investment adviser, and has a client that is a retired school teacher. The caller said that upon the schoolteachers death, her 5 yo nephew was to get her $50k per year PERA retirement, for his life!

This quote is from PERA's website "As a PERA retiree, you will receive a lifetime monthly benefit payment. You can also choose a benefit option that will continue to pay a person of your choice following your death. The person receiving the continuing benefit is called your cobeneficiary."

How many, if any, of you in the private sector have that kind of a plan? Is it any wonder that States/Cities are going broke?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surprised that New Orleans didn't make the list.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My buddy Lorne was a paramedic firefighter in Clayton County, Georgia. S. side of Atlanta. Retired in 2005, at age 55, he put in 30 years.
Firefighters in Clayton county went union thirty years ago, largely to get a sweetheart pension.

What they worked out was, the firefighter gets 100 PERCENT of his pay for the pension. This is bad enough, as in private industry, a person would be lucky to get 33 percent.
But, the pension was 100 percent of the average pay, of the last 3 years the guy worked. This is the big scam that the unions pulled.
So, when Lorne had 27 years in, he lived up in N. Georgia near the N. Carolina line. He had a 2 hour commute to work, not too bad because he only worked every 3rd day.
But, at that time, he bought a house in Clayton County.
So, he would drive down and work his regular shift. Then, a guy called in sick, he would volunteer for the overtime shift, knowing that every overtime he worked, he would continue to be paid for the rest of his life.
So, he would work a 48, then lay around his new house for a day, then work a 24, then go home to N. Georgia for 2 days.
Also was renting out his spare bedroom to another firefighter who was working the same scam.

So, in his last year of work Lorne was getting about $51K in pay which was pretty good for Georgia at that time. But, he piled in $14K a year, in those last 3 years, so that his pension is $65K a year for life. In the real world, private industry, he would have had to have had some executive job making $200K to get a pension like that, IF he was lucky because most executive jobs have gone over to 401K.
And he got very good medical for his wife and himself, $70 a month for the rest of his life. His wife was 58 and already had had back surgery, making her virtually uninsurable on the open market. I mean she could have gotten a policy but it would have cost $1100/month.

When Lorne retired, he simply sold the Clayton Co. house.

So, we have this guy living the life of a millionaire, he bought a new big Ford pickup and a nice Airstream, drives out to Idaho and spends the winter out there skiing. Has to lay awake at night to think of ways to spend his money.
This is the unholy alliance between government employees and unions. These massive pensions are probably going to drive Clayton County broke.

All first responders deserve pensions like his ! Or more .
Around here all first responders are volunteer.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Where’s my counterpart in the private sector?

I’m creeping up on 20 years and might not waste my time waiting for age if the pay meets my needs.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Pension debt is a problem for most cities. Houston isn’t on that list, but there is always something in the paper about the firefighters pension. I think they have free health insurance. They are all will eventually go to a 401 based retirement plan.

My oldest son is HPD and they have recognized that the old pension plan was unworkable.

That said we will need to move to a plan which pays more for their work and less for their pension.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK, how much does a rookie firefighter make in Houston today?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

When a government gets the employee to pay at least 50% of the cost of the pension then
it becomes a manageable problem.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote

My oldest son is HPD and they have recognized that the old pension plan was unworkable.

That said we will need to move to a plan which pays more for their work and less for their pension.
[/quote]

Pay everybody what the line of work is worth - just like the private sector , want a pension - go ahead and get yourself one just like the rest of us .

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/15/18.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
National firefighter deaths :

'''With 69 on-duty firefighter deaths in 2016, the annual total continued below average, with fewer than 70 deaths a year in five of the past six years.'''

OSHA numbers on construction workers killed per year - over 1,000 , over 2,000 crippled/paralyzed each year . So glad I get to pay for firefighters pensions , I think I'll call the fire department and wake them up and tell them so .

I bought a new Mattress about six month ago , place had used mattresses ? I asked how do you come up with these out of curiousity - firemen he said . I laughed and said they have to be worn out - all they do is lay around and sleep . He said yeah but they get new mattresses every six months . smile

Last edited by ol_mike; 05/15/18.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's a labor market where ever and for whom ever we work: for others such as individuals, companies, gov't or for ourselves.

we are free to choose for whom we wish to sell our services. to the highest bidder say i.

gov't can fugg things up. but, we don't have to work for them. higher pay in the private sector almost always.

in rural georgia, at least for a while when the farm economy was on the skids, state gov't built prisons in rural areas, hiring farmers and sweeping up inner-city youth to populate the new prisons. worked like a charm.

as has been stated, gov't overhires as a employer of last resort, offers low pay, and pensions. for those who opt to stay long-term, the pensions can pay off.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Gus
it's a labor market where ever and for whom ever we work: for others such as individuals, companies, gov't or for ourselves.

we are free to choose for whom we wish to sell our services. to the highest bidder say i.

gov't can fugg things up. but, we don't have to work for them. higher pay in the private sector almost always.

in rural georgia, at least for a while when the farm economy was on the skids, state gov't built prisons in rural areas, hiring farmers and sweeping up inner-city youth to populate the new prisons. worked like a charm.

as has been stated, gov't overhires as a employer of last resort, offers low pay, and pensions. for those who opt to stay long-term, the pensions can pay off.
My brother is a high school history teacher. He makes 60k per year and gets a pension when he retires. Every so often he bitches he doesn't get paid enough. I tell him to look around as he's free to get a job in the private sector any time. He's looked. Can't find anything around here that would pay as much or come close to matching the vacation and retirement benny's.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Gus

My brother is a high school history teacher. He makes 60k per year and gets a pension when he retires. Every so often he bitches he doesn't get paid enough. I tell him to look around as he's free to get a job in the private sector any time. He's looked. Can't find anything around here that would pay as much or come close to matching the vacation and retirement benny's.

well, there we have it in spades. we pick & choose, make our decisions, and then live with the results. sometimes quite unhappily. it's the market place with all of it's imbalances and strengths & weaknesses. we can get off the roller coaster at any time, and board another one.

we only have one life to live. make the best of it is my comment.

i wouldn't & couldn't teach. lot's of folks can & do, for better or worse. i couldn't do police or fireman work either.

but, we still have choices to make. guess right or guess wrong, and finish the race.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
60k is damn good money for a part time job.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
60k is damn good money for a part time job.
That's what I tell him. It really pisses him off but the FACT IS he works about 2/3 as many hours per year as he would at most private sector jobs around here and makes over 50% more than the average private sector worker in this County. The vast majority of those private sector workers don't get a pension either.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It pisses the teachers off here as well but it is the truth. Every holiday, including ones that private sector never gets, week off in February, week off in April, out for the summer by early June, back after Labor day, week off in December. The average teacher here retires at age 57.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.