Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What would be your pick for a big game hunting revolver? Something with enough power to take deer and maybe black bear at 50-100yards. Most likely scoped to aid in the longer range accuracy. Brand, model, caliber, barrel length, load - what would be your pick?

I'm currently leaning toward a S&W 629 Classic, 6.5" barrel, 44 mag with a 2X Leupold scope. Most likely shooting 240gr XTP at about 1300 fps.

Last edited by centershot; 05/18/18.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You choice would be a tough combination to beat. I don't shoot jacketed bullets so cannot comment on the 240 XTP. The Ruger Bisley Hunter wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was looking at one of the Bisley Hunters the other day, that would be a great choice also and a little cheaper than the S&W.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think you're right on in choice of a 629 with a 6.5" barrel. I've hunted for the last several years with a 629 with a 4" barrel and love the way it shoots and handles. If I was picking again, I'd go with the longer barrel though.

On the 240 gr XTPs, they shoot fantastic, but of the four deer I've shot with them, only one was a complete pass through that left a good blood trail. The other three left absolutely no blood trail to follow. Luckily of these three that left no blood trail, one of the piled up within view. However, the other two ran 75+ yards and tracking them was a miserable job.

This year, I've changed up bullets. I'm now using the 300 gr. XTP (which is not recommended for the 629) and the Speer 240 grain deep curl soft points. Both of these reportedly penetrate much deeper than the 240 gr. XTP.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned several "hunting revolvers" in the past, ranging from a Colt Python Hunter in .357 to a couple of S&W .44 Mags, a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt, and three Freedom Arms revolvers in .454 Casull. I still own the Vaquero and one of the Casulls, this one with a 10" MagNaPorted octagon barrel, factory tuned trigger, and mounted with a Burris 2x scope. If you are looking for something to take deer and black bear at distance, the .454 Casull is hard to beat.
Now- I do not shoot full power factory loads in mine anymore. Preferred handloaded ammo uses 240 gr. XTP Mag. bullets, loaded to a MV of 1450 fps. Recoil is very manageable, and accuracy is excellent.

I have most recently used this revolver to take a Red Deer hind and a wild hog. One-shot kills, with complete pass-throughs on both- no big surprise. If I were looking to buy a .454 Casull today, it probably would not be the Freedom Arms model- prices have escalated over the years to sky-high prices, well over $2K. It would probably be a Ruger or possibly a Taurus. I also suspect the used market has a good number of .454's available, from owners who have had a hard time trying to manage full-power loads.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum 7 1/2" or longer 300-320gr wfngc cast for bear, 1200-1300fps. Capable of the Buffalo Bore 340gr +P+. Scope optional. 240-255gr SWC for deer, etc. loaded to 1000-1100fps. Exceptionally accurate if barrel supported.

629 Classic is fine, too. 300-310gr cast.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
...with a 2X Leupold scope.

That's the only thing I would change. While the 2X is an advantage from the bench, the loss of FOV on moving game becomes a problem for me. A red dot doesn't have that problem and provides more than enough precision for the game and ranges you mention. I suggest a Burris Fastfire-type red dot with an Allchin STS mount - a very light and handy set-up.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you can, shoot a few guns before you buy, sure makes it easier to make the right choice. Best gun is the biggest one you can shoot well, if you can't shoot it, then you're wasting your time. A good 41, 44 or 45 with good loads will take any deer or black bear out there with proper hits. I've taken several of both & quite a few elk, just depends on you & your loads.
Absolutely don't over look the 41 magnum, with good bullets it will easily handle animals up to elk size, I've taken 2 with one shot each & both were with cast bullets, which is what I always use. I've taken 5 elk with the 44 magnum but truthfully there isn't much difference when shooting 250 gr bullets in both.
If going with jacketed shoot XTP mags, Speer Deep Curls, Swifts, etc. For scopes there's all kinds of choices, the Leupold 2X & 4X are proven for many years, for Red Dots the 30MM Ultra Dot probably has the best record for holding up to recoil on anything out there including the really big kickers. I would shoot a few & see what works best before buying if possible, used scopes don't bring much when you try to sell them.
A good trigger is an absolute must, take it to a good gunsmith & pay the money, don't go with the poor man's trigger job like many will tell you, that is NOT a trigger job, do it right the first time & you will be happy. I'm talking single action guns here. Most S&W guns are pretty good the more you shoot them, your call. Good luck!

Dick

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I had a 629 classic with the 6.5" barrel and scoped, exactly as you describe. I actually sold it years ago. It was perfect for the situation you describe, and I did take two whitetail does with it years ago. (It would shoot 3" groups off a rest too.) After I shot the deer, and could say I did it, I never carried it again. It was such a beast to lug in the woods; I figured for almost the same weight I could carry a lever action carbine or 16" AR15 (for deer not bear) and be able to take longer, more accurate shots. It was louder than f*ck too. Made my ears ring for days every time I shot it hunting. I've moved onto a 10mm semi auto and have a few to pick from depending on what I feel like. Took a decent buck last fall with my iron sighted, G20 at 35 yards.

So to your question, if you really want to lug what you described around, I think you've chosen well. If weight, holsters, convenience are a consideration, I'd opt for something smaller. As for caliber, 44mag is my first choice for a revolver for the situation you've describe. Ammo. is everywhere, can shoot weak 44 special loads to 300gr. power house loads. For the bullet, I like the XTP's or similar, though hard cast, if legal for hunting in your area, is good too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I picked a Ruger Blackhawk hunter... Sometimes I shoot open sights, but have numerous other pistols for that.. I have a 2x Leupold scope on it.. Right now I am shooting MacKay's load of 10.5 grains of Unique and a 240 or 250 grain bullet.. I have some xtps and shot one antelope with it.. Unlike deer hunting I was able to watch it after the shot.. I just stood around and feel over.. I did not get the bullet so it was a pass though..

Molon Labe
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
depends on your style of hunting. i personally hate scoped handguns. takes all the handiness out of them. when i hunt with a centerfire handgun, i plan on sitting mostly where my shots are less than 50 yards. i use a 44 mountain gun with the 4" barrel. off my knees its good to 50 yards on a broadside shot. i use 240 xtp at a rated 1300. not sure what it really is out of that gun.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I started hunting with revolves when I was a teen. I have killed about 30 head of game with them in my life.
I use stock belt guns. I have used:

45 Colt SAA Black Powder frame, 1st gen. 5.5" barrel
45 cap-and -ball Ruger Old Army, 7.5" barrel
44 magnum in both S&W M29 8-3/8" barrel
Ruger Super Blackhawk, 7.5" barrel
45 colt in S&W M25-5, 4" barrel
44 magnum S&W M29 4" barrel
44 magnum S&W M29 6.5" barrel
44 magnum Ruger Redhawk 7.5" barrel
454 Casull 6" barrel
44 magnum Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel
44 special S&W M24 6.5": barrel
357 magnum M28 6" barrel
357 magnum S&W M27 6" barrel
45 colt S&W "Mountain gun" 4" barrel

I dislike optics on revolvers personally. So I am of no value to you in answering what you should get for an optical sight.

But hunting with a revolver is not much different then hunting with a bow and arrow as far as how you move and hunt. To me the shooting of the revolver is WAY easier then it is with a bow, and I am far more accurate with handguns than I am with a bow. In fact, I have only killed 7 animals in my life with arrows, but I have loosed a lot more arrows then that.

It's safe to say most of my archery kills were getting VERY dumb animals out of the gene pool.

I stick with guns if I really want to eat meat. If I don't care much about filling the freezer I sometimes take the bow and arrows. If you can hunt with a bow you can hunt with a handgun. You need nothing special, but use bullet that go clear through. I recommend staying away from HPs Use hard cast or good jacketed soft points, but HPs sometimes don't exit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've yet to hunt with a handgun but when I do, my 5 shot Bisley 480 Ruger with RMR red dot will likely be my pick.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are many to choose from.

I like hunting with a handgun because it is "handy": adequate, convenient, unobtrusive. Optics are great at the range working up loads. I've killed a deer or two with scoped handguns but I much prefer irons when it comes to hunting. Optics turn a nimble gun into a clumsy turd ... I think a rifle is handier than a scoped handgun. I've hunted with scoped handguns, killed deer with them ... and I have a strong preference for irons.

The Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Hunter are great. I believe in addition to .44 magnum, they've been chambered in .41 mag and .45 for some distributors. Add the R-series Redhawk for DA fans. There are some few in .357 as well I believe. Scope 'em, work up loads, sight in with irons to hunt if your'e hunting on two feet or maybe scope if you're hunting from a blind or stand.

Other guns are ok .. S&W, regular Blackhawk, etc but usually you've got to remove the rear sight to install optics so it's not so easy to switch back and forth.

When all is said and done, it would be hard to beat a 6-1/2 inch blackhawk .41 magnum. The aluminum grip frame drops the weight to 38-39 ounces .. nicer than the steel framed .44s Pick up a weaver no-drill mount and a good 4x scope to work up loads, then return to irons and sell off the scope and mount. I'd recommend Speer or Hornady 210 grain hollow points and Winchester 296. For cast bullets an LBT design in the 220 grain range would be good for max loads and a 210 grain SWC for plinking. (Don't overlook Sierra's 170 grain JHP for varmints.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ve hunted exclusively with handguns for 30 years. I just love it. I have two Freedom Arms revolvers: a 7 1/2" .475 Linebaugh with 2x Leupold and a 6" .454 Casull with iron sights.

First off, how are your eyes? I’m 53 years old and have a retina issue, so while I much prefer the look and feel of a traditional iron sighted revolver, it’s either scope it or quit. The scope won out. If you don’t see irons well, a low power scope will keep you hunting.

Generally, for most people a single action will be much more comfortable to shoot a heavy recoiling cartridge in than a double action. Its the grip shape.

I think a 6" barrel is a good all around length, and it’s handy for a belt gun.

Now, for a dedicated big game revolver, I think it’s hard to beat a 7 1/2” gun. The Super Blackhawk Hunter with integral scope mount on the rib gives you a lot of versatility if you eventually decide you want to scope it. Its hard to beat the Rugers for value.

As far as optics, handgun scopes take helluva beating, and something like a Leupold has a better chance of staying together than a cheap scope. You get what you pay for here. I think 2x is perfect, you don’t need more than 4x. Even with just a 2x on it, my 475 will put 5 shots in 3" at 100 yards all day if I do my part. My best so far is 2.1" (and I need to get new glasses, too) so 2x is perfectly adequate for hunting.

What cartridge? If you don’t handload, it’s hard to beat the 44 magnum. There are tons of good, affordable factory loads and you can buy them anywhere. You can practice with lighter 44 Specials, if you want. The 454 Casull is great, the 475 Linebaugh I really love. You don’t need that much power for deer, but if you want to hunt elk or moose someday, the 475 is awesome. You can handload the 45 Colt to be quite a powerhouse, too.

Holsters: I carry the 475 in an Uncle Mike’s bandoleer across my chest, and this works really well for me. I have one for my 14" Contender, as well. The flap gives maximum protection.

My two cents…

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."
U.S. Coast Guard, retired
D
D
Originally Posted by centershot
What would be your pick for a big game hunting revolver? Something with enough power to take deer and maybe black bear at 50-100yards. Most likely scoped to aid in the longer range accuracy. Brand, model, caliber, barrel length, load - what would be your pick?

I'm currently leaning toward a S&W 629 Classic, 6.5" barrel, 44 mag with a 2X Leupold scope. Most likely shooting 240gr XTP at about 1300 fps.
Your choice of caliber is fine. The rest of the things you ask are your choice. What do you shoot best? Do you want strictly a hunting set up? After many years of handgun hunting I use what is the most versatile to me. I have more Rugers than any other. The price is great and they are strong. All of mine have trigger work done. I prefer 7 1/2" barrels for 100 yd shooting but the shorter barrels can be just as accurate. Optics on mine vary also. I have red dots, scopes, and irons. Choice of handguns are S&W, Ruger, Freedom Arms , and one everybody seems to forget Magnum Research BFR. {IMHO} I have shot many times with red dots and 2X scopes side by side and I still can't pick one over the other. I shoot both to the same degree of accuracy even at 100 yds. I can tell you this, when I let someone else shot my red dots that doesn't have experience they have a lot of trouble finding the dot but if using a tube type dot [ultra-dot] they find it a lot faster. Good luck with whatever you decide.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I won't argue with your choices. I have a 629 Classic DX, 8 3/8" which, in the past, I've had a 2X Leupold on and killed deer with it nicely, with 240 grain XTP's at about the speed you're mentioning. I also have a couple of S&W Performance Center hunting revolvers, one a .44 magnum and one a .41 magnum that have worked well on deer with 2X Leupolds and the same load in the .44 and a 210 grain XTP close equivalent load in the .41.

I would urge you to spend a lot of time shooting off hand with the 2X scope. In my experience, a long eye relief, 2X handgun scope takes a significant amount of practice to quickly acquire a sight picture.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
I think you're right on in choice of a 629 with a 6.5" barrel. I've hunted for the last several years with a 629 with a 4" barrel and love the way it shoots and handles. If I was picking again, I'd go with the longer barrel though.

On the 240 gr XTPs, they shoot fantastic, but of the four deer I've shot with them, only one was a complete pass through that left a good blood trail. The other three left absolutely no blood trail to follow. Luckily of these three that left no blood trail, one of the piled up within view. However, the other two ran 75+ yards and tracking them was a miserable job.

This year, I've changed up bullets. I'm now using the 300 gr. XTP (which is not recommended for the 629) and the Speer 240 grain deep curl soft points. Both of these reportedly penetrate much deeper than the 240 gr. XTP.

My experience exactly with the 240 XTP. I would use the 300 myself but have gone to cast.
The S&W is tricky, does not like heavy bullets because of internal parts inertia. Grip is sensitive to how you pick it up as are the Bisleys. POI can vary 10" just with hold.
My choice would be a Ruger SRH, 7-1/2" to 10" and next the SBH Hunter, 7-1/2" with the hog leg grip. Next is an Ultra Dot for hunting, plain Jane 30mm with the fixed dot.
A RH is good but I do not like the spring setup. These are built like tanks. I made my own molds and my .44 weighs 330 gr so nothing alive will stop it. LBT WLN style.
To show how strong a SRH is, an old friend came to shoot. He loaded his own and I opened his box and wanted to know why all were different lengths. I picked out a bunch and said "you can't shoot these". He started and I seen all kinds of recoils, then a "POP". I grabbed his arms and told him to stop. No powder and a bullet in the bore I had to pound out. Next he had one that would not extract. Pound out. Then after a few more the gun locked up. I had to use my plastic mallet to open the cylinder, primer fell out and looked like a rivet. No measurable damage to the gun. I pulled the rest and found plugs of compressed 296 in some.
I told him he does not load again, he has become senile. I actually found two .44 special cases in the box. Who knows what was loaded in them? I really don't know how he drove here. He should not be behind a wheel.
Yes I should have stopped him at the first but I did not expect how bad he got in a year.
But the SRH held up. That last shot might have been 90,000 psi. S&W parts would be in orbit.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I gotta stick with my Dan Wesson Super mag in 357 max.In Florida the "big" game are hogs so the DW really works well for them and since the vegetation limits longer shots on most hunts I can reach out for a deer with it.The ability to change barrels ,I have 4" thru 10", is another plus for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by savage2400
I gotta stick with my Dan Wesson Super mag in 357 max.In Florida the "big" game are hogs so the DW really works well for them and since the vegetation limits longer shots on most hunts I can reach out for a deer with it.The ability to change barrels ,I have 4" thru 10", is another plus for me.

Curious to the performance with the 357 Max on hog. Do you get pass through? Do you have to wait for double lung?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,398
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.