Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,701 of 1,842 1 2 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I like the pike!!!
How did you get my pic to be a pic?

See at the front and the ends of your link [img][/img].

When you copied that link it was a direct version which already included the [img]s You just needed to paste it directly into the text window you were typing in.

Instead you clicked on the img button and copied it there. Thus now you have two sets of [img] making your link broken.

One set of [img][/img] only Mr. Vasily.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the pike!!!

When you go to your photobucket image, click on the direct link, it will say copied.

Open full editor in the bottom of the reply panel, click on the "insert image link" (9th box along top - looks like a landscape thingy), this will open a dialogue box at the top of your reply, paste in copied direct link from photofucket & hit OK on dialogue box !

Easy as that !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I like the pike!!!

See at the front and the ends of your link [img][/img].

When you copied that link it was a direct version which already included the [img]s You just needed to paste it directly into the text window you were typing in.

Instead you clicked on the img button and copied it there. Thus now you have two sets of [img] making your link broken.

One set of [img][/img] only Mr. Vasily.

Yeah, but the link contained "gibberish" too !

I started there & couldn't make it work, thus, see above.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, it really is !!

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I like the pike!!!

When you go to your photobucket image, click on the direct link, it will say copied.

Open full editor in the bottom of the reply panel, click on the "insert image link" (9th box along top - looks like a landscape thingy), this will open a dialogue box at the top of your reply, paste in copied direct link from photofucket & hit OK on dialogue box !

Easy as that !

That's what I did. I'll have to try again.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
minus the gibberish.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tzone; 05/23/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thumbs up Tom !!

smile

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Success!

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cookie in cook tent. Deer tenderloin and taters.
Wyo hunt this past Oct. I’ll post some more when I get the damn things uploaded from my phone

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

this is the beginning of many great memories, stay safe.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
minus the gibberish.

[Linked Image]

Tom-is that up by Duluth or in Sisconnie?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Tom-is that up by Duluth or in Sisconnie?

That's in WI. There's actually a deer in that pic. See if you can find it.

That is an older cut that so thick you can barely walk through on the one side. It's a mix of Red Pine, scrubby Oaks, and Popple. I'd say 10-15 years old. If you follow the tall red pines to the top of the pic, there is a bit of snow you can see on the logging road. That's about 225 yards. But from in the tree, a perfect shot.

It's kinda hard to tell the terrain from the pic but the big pines are on a ridge that drops down into the cut, pretty quickly. Most of the land in that area for about 10 square miles is like that. Red Pine ridges down into thick, cuts. They still actively cut in there. So as long as the county keep cutting, we'll keep hunting it.

Jack has a blind about 100 yds into that cut we call "The Hole". We built a brush blind out of pine boughs. There is an opening that I'm assuming was the log landing at one point. It's the only open spot in there. We see TONS of deer from that spot but it's really tight and hard to get on one. Over the last 5 years we have 1000's of trail cam pics, multiple 100's of bucks. It's a really cool spot. We just haven't shot a deer from there.

It's a bedding area. Probably about a 40 acre one. The buck I shot this past season was about 400 yards to the south of that stand. I have a spot set up for a north and a south wind. The ladder is set up for a south wind. But realistically, the deer come from every direction there. I'll see if I can dig up a few pics when I get a few min.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Since this is all working now...Here are a few pics from the past deer season and a few from fishing.

We didn't get to hunt opening morning in WI, since the new baby decided to come a few weeks early. She arrived 2 days before deer season. We needed her and momma to come home before we left. For some reason, I had the bags and the gear packed into the truck before I went to get them though. grin
I had a VERY antsy boy pacing the house when we came home Saturday morning. Once everyone was settled, we took off for camp. A 2.5 hr drive. I told Jack that the weather, the wind and the day was perfect to shoot a deer in the afternoon. I told him, expect to shoot at 4:00 P.M.

Well, at 3:58 P.M. Jack shot a big ol cow headed doe in WI from the double ladder he shot his deer from the year before. It was the second year in a row that I've got the privilege to sit with my son and watch him shoot a deer. This time was much different than the first but the same stand that he shot his first deer from the year before. It's a peninsula of old growth that juts out into a 5-10 year old cut. Deer cross it like crazy. The spot has had tons of rut sign on it all 4 years I've hunted this spot. The ladder was set up for about a 40yd shot at the furthest spot. We don't hunt it much because the wind get funky and swirls in there. It just happened that opening day the past 2 years it was a good wind to be in it.

After the season, we went back up and did a little scouting. We moved the stand about 100 yards NE. We can still see the clearing the deer cross, but we can also see into the bedding area about 150 yards to the south and about see to the north 50 yards that we couldn't see before. The best benefit of moving the stand though...We have a new way in and out so we won't have to cross the clearing and the wind will be in our favor more often. I'm hoping anyway. I feel a bit dumb that I didn't discover the new spot before. But we were seeing a few deer come past us where a shot wasn't presented or busting us to the south.

This year we sat for about 4 hours before we saw as deer. The first deer came into our right, where Jack couldn't see it, but I could. It was coming right at us. When he moved his head to see it, she stopped and busted us. She was a good sized doe and one he would shoot if she gave us a chance. Being about 20 yards away there was almost no way he could move without her blowing out of there. They had the old stand off. Then, to the north the big ol girl came through on a trot right past everything on a hard 1/4'ing away shot. Neither of us saw her before she was making all the racket. But, before I knew it the kid has his rifle up and BOOOM! Down she went, on the spot. He made a beautiful shot.

Just before the action started.
[Linked Image]

Here he is checking shot placement. That's the entrance. Exit was through the heart and out the other side in front of the opposite shoulder.
[Linked Image]

Hero Shot. You can get an idea of what the bedding area looks like. Waist high grass, scrub oaks, and Jack Pine. West is behind him. We rarely see a deer come from that way, but almost all of them leave to the west into that grass or to the north in thick brush.
[Linked Image]

The gun he used is a M7600 in 30-06 that he inherited from his Grandpa Pete last year when he passed. There have been dozens of bucks shot with that rifle. It was a touching moment for us both. He was a wonderful man. He'd have been very proud to see this.
[Linked Image]

For a size reference, this is in an XL Otter Sled.
[Linked Image][/URL]

Here is pic from the blind in "The Hole" I referenced earlier. As you can see, it's a bit tight for seeing them come in. You need to be ready. The gun is pointing down a shooting lane about 3' wide, looking East.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is the buck I got on the last 1/2 hr of our hunt last year. I was happy to get him. I saw him coming at about 30 yards through a Red Pine plantation. He saw something he didn't like and started to bug out. Thankfully, it was down the shooting lane. Caught him in back of the onside lung and behind the shoulder. Exit the opposite shoulder between shoulder blade and neck. He ran about 50 yards. Shot with a M70 XTR 7x57 Mauser, 140gr Federal blue box bullet.

The funny part was I saw him hook to the right(North East) after I shot. Then, I saw a tail bounding back past the end of the lane, to the NW. I thought it was him. It wasn't.

I only found hair at the site where he was hit. Underbrush is very thick, knee high blueberry looking crap that has red berries on it. I couldn't find squat for sign other than where I found the hair. I had to have the kid come help me out. I assured him I hit the buck. After about 1/2 hour of looking for blood, I told him we were going to do a grid to try to just find the deer. Then I told him I saw the tail bounding back to the left and he told me about a deer that was by him, he was watching when I shot.

Jack said there was a doe on the old grown in logging road he was watching about 75 yards behind me. He said I HAD to have seen her, she came from my direction, nearly on the trail I walk in on. Well, I didn't see her. I may or may not have been catching a quick snooze about 1 min before I saw the buck. grin

So, I started looking back to the right where I originally saw him hook off to the NE. I still didn't find any sign of a hit or a deer. Coming back down the hill to start again from the hair...I saw him piled up under a Jack Pine blow down. We were happy campers. Until we realized we had 1/2 mile drag and it was getting dark pretty quick. We hustled and made it back a bit after sunset. No way the Otter Sled would have gone through that low down brushy crap. It would have taken twice as long.

The knife is from Jelky on the fire. It was the first time since I got the knife that I shot a damn deer. grin That is the entrance side.
[Linked Image]

The end of the sheath is pointing to the exit. In the background you can see some of that brushy crap.
[Linked Image]

Jack pulling him from under the Jack Pine.
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff Tom & JackHammer !!!!!

Love the double stand photo of you both !!

Paul.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Great pictures!

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good stuff!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KId's a chip off the old block Tom. Congrats to both of you.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads Guys what Huntings all about!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love that pic of Jack dragging your buck. The torch has officially been passed Tom. Good job sir.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1,701 of 1,842 1 2 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.