Print Thread
Hop To
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anyone here have any information or know anything, or know anyone who has attended this Bladesmithing school located Washington, AR?

https://www.texarkanacollege.edu/continuing-education/school-of-bladesmithing/

I am checking them out and thinking about attending some courses there.

I have always wanted to make my own knives and learn a new hobby.
I want to do it the right way starting from scratch.

No one in my local area to learn from.

Any input is appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my opinion, take it as such, but I think you would be farther ahead taking the tuition money and buying a good entry level grinder. Buy a bunch of steel, just regular low carbon steel and get to practicing. Watch all the videos you can find on YouTube and then just get to cutting and grinding. You may shorten the learning curve with taking classes but I personally do t think it’s necessary.

P.S. don’t plan on making it a significant source of income, it’s a great rewarding hobby that can eventually make you some fun money but making it a career is a long shot.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks, appreciate the tip.

I have no plans on making money on this. Just enjoying the art.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then enjoy the ride and take your time, if I can do it literally anyone else can. And besides one day I spent with RW Wilson at his shop, I am completely self taught. Trial and error are great professors.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any recommendations for a entry level grinder?

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I looked into this - I was looking at Grizzly. Never followed through.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Kni...35dWZ2wIVl4-zCh3OlApxEAQYAiABEgJ6EfD_BwE

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
KMG

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would frequent all the forging,and knife forums,and check with the American Bladesmith society and try to find someone local to learn from. When I started there was a Master Bladesmith that I learned about that actually had a class once a week about 2 hours from me. Then a little after that I met a full time knife maker that wasn't in the ABS that I became friends with and he only lives an hour from me.

There should be forging demonstrations and hands on classes somewhere close to you without having to pay tuition to a school. If classes are cheap and it's convenient,then by all means attend,but if you look in the right places you might find a teacher or a new friend to get you started too.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/25/18.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Although I am not into bladesmithing myself, I live about 35 miles from Washington, AR. I have seen the facilities they have there for the course, and am impressed with their equipment and resources. Legend has it that Jim Bowie's famous knife was crafted there, and there is a recreation of James Black's forge and shop in the town.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (219DW, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,189
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.