-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing will make the hunt more memorable than a good, tense, bear encounter. You know, the first thing people are going to ask when you get home is if you had any bear trouble! smile

Hope for it! smile

GB1

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brad

Archery hunt?

Yes, Archery, and we will be backpacking in.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You can't outrun any Grizz male or female so don't try.
Do not approach anything dead!

Very good advise!

And if you get in trouble on an archery hunt, just fire 3 shots in the air.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
JG & Greg, cut it out, this is some serious shat. I'm thinking of leaving the bow at home and running security duty for the hunting party. grin

If those two were thinking of helping they would consider that it's much easier on the family not to have to move things out of state..... whistle

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
las our favorite hiking trail between Helena and Boulder was closed due to increased sightings and paw prints down to a lake where Moose like to go in the evenings.
Due to health problems I can't hike anymore so it won't be a problem for me.
They are voting on Grizz hunting season here in Montana and many are saying it may well pass.
Where you live you have BIG Grizzly's,ours are a little smaller but we have had so many bear attacks/encounters here since the 90's that I always bring a handgun when hiking.
Stay safe.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Archery brown bear hunting always brings me back to the cook at McCarthy that asked someone else from the kitchen to back him up. He stuck a bear with an arrow in very close cover. The bear started mauling the cook and the back-up did exactly that... backed up all the way to the road! Went back to town without saying a word.

A few days later a very mangled cook made it out to the road and survived...

Wonder if he sends Christmas cards to the back-up?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Not interested in your guns or your hunting partners ( he has none that are really his anyway ) ....just want to up ya'lls life Insurance and change the beneficiary's...….

Men and Rivers are made crooked by the path of least resistance....!!!!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted the back country near Glacier and Yellowstone Parks for over 40 years. We used to be able to buy a Montana OTC Grizz tag every year for $25. I'd buy the tag, just hoping to find a bear on my elk's gut pile. I never had a grizz in camp until after they closed the season. I fired a couple of shots over his head with my .44 mag, but he didn't run off until I bounced a rock off of him. The only trouble that I've seen with either Black or Grizzly bears was when someone got between a sow and her cubs.

Like others have posted, keep a clean camp, and hang your food and game away from your tent.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've a new friend that is a life long resident, avid hunter, wildlife photographer, and outdoorsman in the Glacier National Park area. Very well versed on the area and the Grizz. I've a back country elk hunt planned in mid September with him in a unit just east of GNP. Being a life long resident of Alabama, I am clueless. Should I be concerned? (I am, very much so). Any tips?

Can’t live your life scared Clint!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,888
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.