Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
http://warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p38lightning_WRG-0022788.html

So the attached link shows a P-38 lightening that crash landed on Middleburg Island in August of 1944. I just so happened to have a great uncle who died in a P-38 crash on Middleburg Island in August of 1944.

So, does the crash landing seems to show a survivable crash? Is the plane upside down or right side up in the picture? The only description I have of his crash is that a landing gear caught the seawall at the end of the runway and his plane cartwheeled down the runway and caught fire. Wondering if this might be the plane since the plane, place, month and year are all the same. Just wondering what you guys think? Thanks DR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That plane is upside down.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Inverted, PROBABLY not survivable.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The plane looks right side up to me- with the tail section broke off. Looks like the superchargers on top and air intake in proper spot under the prop cones as is canopy and nose section. This seems like it would be pretty nasty for the pilot. Rear tail section looks gone as a result of the plane being flipped and nose section is twisted. The canopy appears to be missing so I wonder if it was crushed - would help to see a shot from behind. In any case all this would indicate a pretty severe impact to the top parts of the plane.

Disclaimer here- I got ZERO credentials to jaw about any of this so take it as just a ding dong observation.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/29/18.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you think ?
[Linked Image]

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looks rightside up to me. Canopy covered with sand and hard to see. Survivable ?

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/29/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Superchargers are on top so at least the wings and engine nacelles are upright. Also appears the canopy is on top. Nose is broken off and lying sideways, as you can see the .50 cals in a diagonal line. Tail appears to be broken and hanging down.

NoCAL

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I thought it was upright. Daughter thought it was upside down. Campfire vote is split as well.

FYI Middleburg airfield became operational on 8/17/44. Great Uncle died on 8/25/44. I am sure planes crash landed fairly often in that environment but if the documentation on the picture is correct and I know my date of death is correct along with a first hand eyewitness account, I wonder how many other planes would have crash landed in a 2 week period at that time?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Look at the openings in the front of the engine nacelles below the prop hobs.

Now compare to the picture of the flying aircraft. Same.

Upright.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like he may have come up short on his landing. Middleburg Island is tiny.
https://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/indonesia/middleburg/index.html

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's right side up.

An intact aircraft for comparison.

[Linked Image]

Engine nacelles are below the wing, the four .50 MG's are above the 20mm, you can see the front tire sideways on the left below the nose. Canopy appears to be covered in foam which obsures it. Prop blades are not bent except perhaps the bottom most ones. Whether this was survivable is hard to say. The canopy doesn't look to be crushed but who knows how bad the impact and fire was.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aug 1944 crash reports

Find it here I bet..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Not at 1st glance. Would be last name Kelly. Middleburg Island, August 25, 1944 P-38

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The cockpit is right side up with the nose broken in front of the cockpit. The prop blades aren't bent so I'd say the engines were not operating. Hard to say if this was survivable or not. The impact that broke the airframe was obviously with considerable force.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
The cockpit is right side up with the nose broken in front of the cockpit. The prop blades aren't bent so I'd say the engines were not operating. Hard to say if this was survivable or not. The impact that broke the airframe was obviously with considerable force.

agreed. might have been a dead-stick landing stall. visible prop blades intact is very relevant, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If he was stationed at Middleburg flying P-38s, he was likely in the 67th Fighter Squadron of the 347th Fighter Group. Interestingly, the 67th flew both P-39s and P-38s until May 24th 1944 when they were re-designated from single engine to twin engine.

The only P-38 loss I managed to find on Middleburg was this one:
24309 (347th FG) destroyed in Japanese night raid on base at Middleburg Island, August 1944.

This cat could probably fill in the blanks for you but I have no idea what he would charge. LINKY

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
There's a forum on WWII aircraft, where you might make inquiries. You'll have to log in, but those guys have all kinds of arcane info that might be helpful. You'll have to log in and go thru the business of getting permissions. They have in "Inquiries" forum, and they can find out stuff, if you're patient. Be patient. It might help if you have your great-uncle's log book with the possible aircraft "vin number" to help them do their thing.

www.ww2aircraft.net

These guys "know stuff", one of the guy's father was a big deal flying Mustangs and other aircraft (wing commander, at that) and some of them have worked restoring warbirds for a flying museum in CA. Interesting place. I READ a lot there, but post very very little. I learn a lot of stuff I don't need to know, and will never use, but it's interesting.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=kenjs1]What do you think ?
[Linked Image][/quote

What I think is that Uncle Sam never flew a better looking airplane.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

agreed. might have been a dead-stick landing stall. visible prop blades intact is very relevant, IMHO.

that's what I thought....stall on short final...relatively low speed....

can't quite tell if props are feathered; possible indicating fuel exhaustion as pilot tried to glide in; stretch it, stalled and plopped down.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If he was stationed at Middleburg flying P-38s, he was likely in the 67th Fighter Squadron of the 347th Fighter Group. Interestingly, the 67th flew both P-39s and P-38s until May 24th 1944 when they were re-designated from single engine to twin engine.

The only P-38 loss I managed to find on Middleburg was this one:
24309 (347th FG) destroyed in Japanese night raid on base at Middleburg Island, August 1944.

This cat could probably fill in the blanks for you but I have no idea what he would charge. LINKY

Yep, I have pictures of him in P-38, P-39 and P-40s. I am assuming that is the unit he was with. That was the correct time period when he was there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,975
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.