Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 348srfun
Jack Lott comes to mind. At least he is the one I miss the most. He had a great wealth of knowledge about the type of firearms that interested me. Interesting fellow to talk to.

Another good writer.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike:

Most of the "gun writers" I found seemed obsessed with promoting the latest 'new' gun or caliber they get for free from the companies!

Others who can identify what's important to themselves like getting the game or winning a match do that and don't find it in pop magazines,

Proof of that is that the gun magazines, books and gunwriters are now dead and gone and replaced by this internet and forums like this one!!

Last edited by Savage_99; 05/27/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Mike:

Most of the "gun writers" I found seemed obsessed with promoting the latest 'new' gun or caliber they get for free from the companies!

Others who can identify what's important to themselves like getting the game or winning a match do that and don't find it in pop magazines,

Proof of that is that the gun magazines, books and gunwriters are now dead and gone and replaced by this internet and forums like this one!!

There are always exceptions, but I think that's basically untrue. I'm pretty sure gun writers don't get "free" guns. Big problems with strictly Internet articles is that much of the material is unedited or poorly edited and often contains inaccurate information. Lots of "conventional wisdom" rather than tested factual material. Articles are often pretty short and shallow.

All of the above occurs in paper publications as well, but not with the frequency that happens on the Internet. Regardless, there remains good, well-written material on the Internet by true experts in their fields.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Many. many good answers here.''Let me throw in an oldie but classic - Francis Sell.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
doggerel from Clark Magnuson:

Those that write the gun rag pages
Make it up, but pose as sages
Those who think that it's all true
Pay the bills to print more poo

Even worse are the reviews
Pay for adds is pay'n dues
If per chance you didn't pay
It ain't so good what we will say

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wayne van Zwoll is a far and away favorite. Also enjoy John Barsness, Jack O'Connor, Ross Seyfried, Layne Simpson and Bob Hagel.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer, Wayne van Zwoll, Finn Aagaard, Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Phil Shoemaker and Brian Pearce are the writers that I most enjoy as time has passed.

Aagaard had a way about him that still has me rereading his articles and following his advice. He was gone from us too soon IMHO.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, Jim Carmichael, Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor from the past. Today John Barsness is way ahead of anyone else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike74
I'm surprised at the Jim Corbett comments. If you've spent any time reading Corbett you know he was not a gunwriter.

True dat. So shoot me! wink I thought about my Corbett post and knew well that I was conflating hunter with gun writer. In my mind, one is a technician and the other a pursuer of wild game. One person can be both but Corbett was way over on the hunter side, though he knew his firearms extremely well in terms of field performance. In casual contexts hunters tend to talk about shooting/hunting writers as one loose category, whatever the writer's specialty. Alas, such imprecision must be corrected. Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage_99 is more knowledgeable than the gunwriters anyway so he's my favorite.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ken Warner.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had forgotten about Ken Warner. A bit offbeat at times, but a good writer. I think he was among the best of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN editors in recent times. Far better publication under Ken Warner than it is today.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I liked Ken Warner. One of the best things I have ever read in a gun publication - Just Another Millenium - was Ken's contribution to his 2000 Gun Digest.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just a few more who deserve to be remembered:

Ken Howell
Ed Matunas
Jim Bashline
John Pondoro Taylor

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jack, Warren and Townie from early on .Now-to Mule Deer, Boddington and Seyfreid. We are lucky to have John active on this site

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,739
Posts18,514,460
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.