Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I enjoy playing with my firearms and reloading like most of you on the Campfire. And always trying to improve accuracy out of my guns by playing with different handloads and so forth. Even though I clean my barrels with solvent , brushes and patches I've always wondered if I got every last bit of fouling out of the barrel. Now a days you can buy a bore scope, so my question is,,, would the lyman bore scope be ok for a gun nut like me or would I be wise to save up for the Gradient Hawkeye? Would the Hawkeye be that much better? Or is there another scope on the market that I don't know about. Thanks in advance. RRM

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Lyman and it works great.Before that I used my Brothers Hawkeye.To me it is not worth the extra money.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve had a Lyman for about a year and it really does let you see if the bore is squeaky clean.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a pair of Hawkeye's with extra bright lights ( souped up Mini Maglites will do about as well but maybe with some color shift) and a right angle eyepiece. I'd surely suggest trying a second edition Lyman especially on sale and expect no reason to move up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the Lyman digital borescope for a couple of years and I think it was a good buy. If I ever get to use a more expensive or sophisticated borescope, I may not think so highly of it but ignorance is bliss---at least in this case.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve got three optical borescopes and the Lyman digital borecam.

I haven’t used the optical scopes in over a year. The Lyman is just too handy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm glad I read this thread. I just ordered a Lyman borescope from Brownells for $178.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you all for helping me make a decision on a bore scope. Sounds like one is in the near future for me. Thanks. RRM

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a Hawkeye a long time and am very satisfied with it. If the cheaper scopes work as well, go with a cheaper scope, but I would at least look at a Hawkeye for comparison before I bought anything.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys. You just cost me some money! smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Helpful crowd we ALL are, huh? smile

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Roger that! BTW, if anyone else wants one grin, Brownells has a sale price and free shipping.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Mr gaget I am, tell me what will a bore scope tell me? I'm one of many that doesn't keep his bore squeeky clean as my rifles seem to shoot better with a little seasoning . Thanks!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The one thing a bore-scope won't reveal is whether the barrel will be accurate.

It does work very well for seeing how well various cleaning products work, and the amount of throat erosion (if any). I also use mine when shooting bore-lapping bullets to smooth an erosion-roughened throat, to see when the rough portion has disappeared, and the make sure the bore's clean of ALL fouling when installing Dyna Bore Coat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shortly after I bought my Lyman I used it to examine the bore of a Model 70 HV I had purchased some time before. I worked on loads for that rifle for months, occasionally seeing something that encouraged me to go off in a direction that would be just another dead end. When I saw the bore up close for the first time, I knew why it wouldn't shoot---it looked as though someone had pounded a ball bearing through it and smashed some of the lands. A new (used) barrel from GPC fixed it right up and is now a pretty good shooter. The same story with a Ruger 77V in .220 Swift I had swapped for about eight years ago. MOA was achievable, but I thought it should shoot closer to a half inch. It turned out the bore was pitted from breech to muzzle, but I sure couldn't tell by just gazing down the bore. That one now has a PacNor on it and is shooting acceptably. In fact I'm going to fire a few more seating depth tests next time out to see if I have been in the right place or can tighten it up a bit more.

I've also found that my Model 70 Classic in .25-06 has a checkered bore about three inches ahead of the chamber, but it's still shooting very well. When it goes south, I'll know why, but for now I'm happy with it.

A borescope isn't going to make a rifle shoot any better, but I think it's pretty handy to have around. Glad I bought it.

Don't be the darkness.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RiverRider,

Good post!

The only minor comment is I've seen plenty of abysmal-looking bores shoot really well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes my hawkeye bore scope works well,but here`s a funny short story I purchased a brand new savage 300 win short mag s.s. and bedded the barrel right away and redid the trigger too. gun shoots 3/4 inch moa at 100 yards all day long, gun cost me around $400.00 a few years ago. now when I looked down the barrel of this Savage rifle man it looked ruff and that was even before I shot the rifle but this rifle does shoot well. now my dear friend wanted I better rifle in a 300 win.short mag so he purchased a Kimber rifle for over $800.00 and the bore looked super nice too new but the gun after and before being bedded shot terrible 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 groups ,friend paid twice as much as I did and ended up with a terrible rifle,and he was not happy . so sometimes even looking down the barrel tell s you little except if its burned out, >Mule deer is right it will never tell you what barrel is more accurate but those dang cheap Savage rifles are some real fool`ers. good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 06/04/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a Lyman for a brief time and it worked well enough but I got to wondering,
If the bore has imperfections, what can I do about it?
If it shot well enough for me and I could clean it well enough or Dyna Bore Coat it and keep it shooting well, what difference could I make to the function of the rifle by looking at the bore?

I like to shoot a variety of rifles and cartridges but a bore scope didn't change anything for me and it was returned.

If I was buying some collectible rifles, I'd like to be able to check the barrel out to see if it's shot out but that's not me.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hawkeye.....I see everything I need to....don't know why an advrage shooter would need one...but if you collect old guns it will pay for itself...especially old lever guns and 22s....I have taken mine to gunshows and it can be some leverage when a guy says it's got a pristine e bore...guess what....most are pitted or sewer pipes...some are better than expected...helps selling guns too to look a throat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Hawkeye.....I see everything I need to....don't know why an advrage shooter would need one...but if you collect old guns it will pay for itself...especially old lever guns and 22s....I have taken mine to gunshows and it can be some leverage when a guy says it's got a pristine e bore...guess what....most are pitted or sewer pipes...some are better than expected...helps selling guns too to look a throat.

Guy brought a Hawkeye to a gun show, set up a table charging 5 bucks to borescope barrels. He pretty much got run out of the place by used gun dealers.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.