Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Regarding leaks...

Lightweight repair kits are available or a piece of the Gorilla tape that you wrapped around your water bottle can be used for some punctures or tears.

Joe:

Yes it's pretty easy (though time consuming) to repair leaks in a mattress. The problem is actually finding the leak in the field.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Rain gear ... my first rule of backpacking is "try not to backpack in the damned rain." It's an IQ test IMHO. Anyone stupid enough to go out in the rain deserves to get wet.

I agree 100%. Now, if I can only get the state game management agencies to schedule hunting seasons during those times when no rain is forecast, I'll be golden.

TOM:

I do a lot of my backpacking in the Colorado mountains. If I limited my backpacking only to those times when there was no chance of afternoon thunderstorms, I would have to stay at home.

I grew up in southern Kalifornia and lived in Phoenix for five years also. I did lots of backpacking without a tent and minimal rain gear. During my first summer of Colorado backpacking, I learned why everyone else was carrying tents and good rain gear.

During our 2016 coues deer hunt in southern AZ it rained heavily twice and we would have been up the creek without good tents and good rain gear.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Southern Idaho is usually dry during Sept and into Oct. our hunting season, but 'usually' means USUALLY. You can get your tail very wet sometimes. I've bow hunted in several inches of snow over Labor Day then a few days later it'll be back to shirtsleeve weather. One year I got a moose tag in eastern ID. On opening weekend, we hunted 1 day and went home. There's no way we could have saved the meat if we'd got one in 90 degree temps. A week later we were back and I shot one in 10" of snow.

That time of year, you have to be prepared for anything and it can change very fast. I always carry rain gear while hunting. I won't use it more than once in 3 or 4 years but when I need it, I need it bad.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I live on Kodiak in the Gulf of Alaska and it always rains - and no matter what the gear used I generally get soaked to the skin. You have no choice but to hunt in the rain. And that's why camping with wood stoves is so critical. You can dry everything off. When hunting in the rain I believe in 'wet but warm'. But then at the end of the day it is time to crank the wood stove and dry off (I got lots of tricks for getting wet wood to work in a small woodstove). Wet conditions is also why I like extra tuff boots. Since they are neoprene they do not soak through.

But even with the super wet conditions I still swear by down bags because they are just so much more compact. They do not fill your pack up with the bulk of a synthetic bag. And even a little wet I've found down bags still work well (even after the bag has doubled in weight from the wet - and this in 30 degree temps). I use an ultra lightweight, breathable bivy bag (8 oz) from TiGoat to protect my down bag from the wet ground and to keep it clean.

Patrick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Having spent time looking a gear at my local REI, I thought I'd ask you all about your favorite backpacking gear.

What do you prefer for these?
Pack
Rain gear
Tent, if any
Sleeping pad and bag
Stove

Thanks!

Stone Glacier Krux frame, Sky 5900 bag- it’s the best carrying pack I’ve ever owned
Sitka Dewpoint- I only need rain gear very occasionally during big game season
Seek Outside for cold conditions (w/ stove); MLD tarp and bivy for warmer
MLD Spirit 28 Apex quilt for warmer, FF Lark UL 10 down for colder
TR Xtherm- best pad out there imo
MSR Windpro for colder, Snow Peak Giga for warmer

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"But even with the super wet conditions I still swear by down bags because they are just so much more compact. They do not fill your pack up with the bulk of a synthetic bag. And even a little wet I've found down bags still work well (even after the bag has doubled in weight from the wet - and this in 30 degree temps). I use an ultra lightweight, breathable bivy bag (8 oz) from TiGoat to protect my down bag from the wet ground and to keep it clean.

Patrick"

Be sure to investigate the newest down bags. They now have the ability to take up much, much less moisture than previous technology. I still take the additional step to coat ALL tech fabrics exteriors with DWR after purchase and then renew periodically.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
[quote=TexasPhotog]Having spent time looking a gear at my local REI, I thought I'd ask you all about your favorite backpacking gear.

What do you prefer for these?
Pack
Rain gear
Tent, if any
Sleeping pad and bag
Stove

Thanks![/quote

Pack- Hill People Gear Qui ya for me is the most comfortable pack I have used and holds my gear with no problems. I run a Pals Pocket on it and use a Kit Bag for my possibles and binoculars.

Rain Gear is tough as I have still have not found the ideal combo of moisture management and protection.

Marmot Precip for the money is not bad.

Tent I use a Tarptent Bowfin1 Spring through Autumn and a Hilleberg Soulo if I expect weather and during the Winter.
Can't say enough good things about both tents. Free Standing really helps in the country I go.

I am thinking of trying a Tepee/Stove this year.

Sleeping pad is a Therm A Rest Neoair XLite large and a Crazy Creek Hex 2 Chair . Comfortable

Sleeping Bags are Western Mountaineering Alpinelite for Spring and Fall and An Antelope for the Winter.

Stove Snow Peak Giga or a MSR Windpro 2 depending on mood. I use grocery store food, mainly cous cous and rice based 1 pot meals. I really like the Wind Pro despite the weight.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 06/05/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,689
Posts18,494,064
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.