Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Damn good info. And you know I trust you buddy! Carolyn passes along a BIG hug! When you have time for the 300 mag issue, let me know, if Lord is with me I may be moving to AK in a year or less, much sooner than I thought.

I'll shout at Louis if I get that far. I'd rather drop less coin on optics than more, but for vehicle permanent firearms, I'd like em to be tough enough, even though they will be soft case, if not hard cased.

I sure wished I'd had the time for that SDM program, no doubt they'd have accepted me LOL. But thats life!

Tell Bona hello and pass along our love and a hug!

Jeff

Thanks, back at her. Maybe we can hook up sometime for dinner somewhere central to us like Bastrop, Bona and I would enjoy that. As far as the 300 Win Mag thing, I am 5 weeks now post operation on my right total replacement, give another 4 weeks I would be ready to play.

Speaking of my partner, Paul Laberge, who coached us still talks about when you, Kayla, Carolyn, and I won the team match at the state championship at Camp Bullis, beating the military teams. If you remember, they were ahead till we got to 600, Paul kept us in the 10 and the X ring. The team trophy on his wall is still his favorite.

AK, one of my favorite states, lived there for a year. It is so beautiful and rugged that I wanted to move to the southern part after my tour of duty at Cape Lisburne, Bona just did not want to have any part of the cold weather.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread, back to your normal programming.

Jeff,

For truck gun when I hunted a lot by the border was a 16 inch AR with a non-magnified EOTech. I lost track on how many times that little guy got banged around in the cab and in the bed of the ranch truck, and it survived. Yes, lots of abuse. Later on I stuck a Surefire suppressor on it. To date the EOTech still resides on the carbine, and still serving as my truck gun when we travel to see the grandkids in Virginia. No magnification, but the red reticle is better than irons. From the bench with our match ammo I can hold X ring with it. Plenty good for 2 way shooting contest or launching those extremely large slugs pn those large animals you might encounter in wilderness. Drawback, battery powered, but it is not a battery power hog. Dealing with - 20 and lower temperature, I dont know how long the batteries would last. Put BUIS for insurance.

USAF 1972-1978
HM XC Service Rifle
Distinguish Badge 1234
P100
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nez

Interesting that Carolyn and I have that same feeling on the match and the same trophy on the wall. Paul was on that day for sure, like he usually is as a coach.

I think the military teams were a bit surprised.... Remember the stepped on our .... comment from them. LOL

RMR going into service up there, battery supposed to last 5 years possibly normally. Will see how it lasts in teh cold but it won't live in teh cold constantly, even if had to drop a new battery every 3-6 months no biggie.

Lets try to meet somewhere soem point. They want me to cut on around end of June... LOL. maybe I can do it after that, no heavy lifting so would be off work some... but doesn't mean couldn't come help/wathc

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

RMR going into service up there, battery supposed to last 5 years possibly normally. Will see how it lasts in teh cold but it won't live in teh cold constantly, even if had to drop a new battery every 3-6 months no biggie.

I and most of the guys in my training group use RMRs on our carry pistols, and of course most of us have multiple samples. We've settled on changing the batteries once per year, I do it on my birthday so it's easy to remember. The batteries probably last longer, but they're cheap enough to replace. I've never had one of mine go dim earlier than that 1 year mark. One exception might be if you stored it exposed to bright light; the auto-brightness feature will turn up the red dot and burn through the battery faster.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TWR
They are $300 higher and 5 oz heavier, far better?

Yes, it is a far better aiming device. It is more rugged, has a better reticle, can be dialed if desired, and has 2x more magnification. The Accupowers are between $600 and $700. You can find the SS 1-6’s easily for $600.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

Not sure what you really want for a vehicle gun optic, but I'm using a Meprolight RDS (red-dot) on one & a SS 1-4x24 Illuminated scope on another.

It's really hard to beat the speed of the red-dot if you're not looking for super 100 yard precision & the SS 1-4 is a good fast reticle (diamond w/mil-quad) if you want some magnification & more precision.

And the SS scope has a nice feature in that the illumination is off on any setting between numbers so all you have to turn it to get to your preferred setting in a half a number.

You can get into either for around $400; if you like red-dots & want to spend a few bucks more, go Aimpoint.

I got the Mepro just because I got a good deal on it. Had it for a couple of years with no issues, takes an AA battery & has auto shut-off that works fine, but bouncing around in a vehicle will keep it on, so I manually turn it off.

MM

SWFA SS 1-4x24 scope

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by TWR
They are $300 higher and 5 oz heavier, far better?

Yes, it is a far better aiming device. It is more rugged, has a better reticle, can be dialed if desired, and has 2x more magnification. The Accupowers are between $600 and $700. You can find the SS 1-6’s easily for $600.

I'm seeing the 1-6 now runs $999 and the Accupower is just under $600. Maybe next black Friday sale I'll try one if they drop to $600 but I think the usual is about $200 off at best.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I recall seeing one for sale in classifieds. Haven’t followed the thread. It may have been snagged by now.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D

Last edited by David_Walter; 06/09/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What's the difference in their 1-6 they are selling now for $999?
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

I just bought an RMR yesterday so I'm broke again.

Last edited by TWR; 06/09/18.
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
for the price of them you can get the SWFA SS 1-6x HD which is a FAR better scope

I can't speak on the ACOG but have a SWFA SS 1-6x and it's been 100%. IME, the reticle is IDEAL for the ranges and situations where I want to use my 223/5.56.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,331
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.