Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12914013 06/11/18
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a snake track going across the road to our shop at Twin Blades. We have seen some big 6 feet+ diamond backs on the property, but nothing that would have left a track this wide. That is a 6 inch ruler laying across it. We saw a track a couple of years ago that would have dwarfed this track. While this one is likely a big diamond back that had just eaten a rabbit or squirrel, the previous track could not have been. It was close to ten inches wide. I don't have a clue what could have made that track. Still this one is big enough.

[Linked Image]

Harry
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Might take something more than a.22 loaded with #12 shot to get that one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Y'all gettin' some of those Florida pythons over there?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by websterparish47

From Saturday with .22 shotshells.....4 of them. I was very unimpressed with their effectiveness. Ended up stepping on his head and cutting it off with a pocket knife. Snake had a belly full of something.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

From Saturday with .22 shotshells.....4 of them. I was very unimpressed with their effectiveness. Ended up stepping on his head and cutting it off with a pocket knife. Snake had a belly full of something.

[Linked Image]

I've had great luck with the CCI's out of a handgun. Within 6 feet or so. DRT.

Shot a big rat snake in the chicken coop awhile back with one. Very effective with minimal damage.

If I really want to leave a mark I drag out the CCI 45ACP shotshells... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the biggest diamond backs I ever saw was crossing the hwy between Statesboro and Metter.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GeoW, our shop is just about half way between Statesboro and Metter between Big Creek and Lotts Creek. It seems to be very attractive to rattlesnakes. There are some big snakes on the sand hill our shop is located on. Mostly what we see are diamond backs with the occasional canebreak thrown in to keep us careful. Never seen one that would make a track that wide even with a rabbit riding along inside.

Rockinbbar we have Georgia Southern University in Statesboro with over twenty thousand students. There is no telling what has been released around here. The track we saw year before last was huge. The first thing that crossed our minds as we stood there looking at it was python. There was one found on the other side of town in a storage shed that was a little over 10 feet, but it was called an escaped pet. We think that whatever made the big track was a released pet from some GSU student.

We didn't go into the woods after this one this morning because all we had was 9mm's. We talked about it and thought that maybe something a little larger might be called for, as well as snake leggins. It was headed into some really thick stuff and we just let it slide with out taking up the trail...

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mathsr

We didn't go into the woods after this one this morning because all we had was 9mm's. We talked about it and thought that maybe something a little larger might be called for, as well as snake leggins. It was headed into some really thick stuff and we just let it slide with out taking up the trail...

I sure don't blame ya for not going in there!

A buddy and I were coming back from hunting after dark one night and a HUGE rattler crossed the road in front of us. I mean this snake was Boone and Crockett!

We turned around and by the time we got to where it was, it had made it to the bar ditch... (Which was waist high uncut weeds...)

Umm... No. We got back in the pickup and left it alone. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure about this, but I dont think the snake is as wide as the track. I think the snake was slipping, so to speak. Look where the dirt was pushed up on either side of the ruler. The snake was slipping sideways until it pushed up the dirt and could get traction to move forward.

Just my .02

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had good luck killing rattle snakes with a handgun. I used to carry a S&W 48 with a 8 3/8 barrel. 3 cylinders with CCI snake shot the other 3 with HP’s. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Shot a big rat snake in the chicken coop awhile back with one. Very effective with minimal damage.

The experience soured me on the .22 shot shells. He was coiled and rattling hard. He was right beside the foot peg on my ATV, I moved my right knee up on the seat so he couldn't hit me. None of the shots were far from his head....about 1 foot in front of him, 2 feet above him. It hammered him and his head hit the ground just to pop back up. I shot him again and again his head dropped but he couldn't raise it quite as high. Shot again and this time he uncoiled, couldn't raise his head. Even uncoiled, he was still rattling hard. I shot him one more time for good measure, cut a few trees out of the trail, and when I came back he was still rattling slightly. I stepped on his head, cut it off, and kicked it down a wash on the side of the mountain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snake tracks in soft dirt are wider than the snake is.
The ones I have seen making tracks were, but then I am no expert nor did I sleep at....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think that is a snake track... just can't tell what it is though

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The last rattlesnake I shot was with a 1911,no difficulty was experienced.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

The experience soured me on the .22 shot shells. He was coiled and rattling hard. He was right beside the foot peg on my ATV, I moved my right knee up on the seat so he couldn't hit me. None of the shots were far from his head....about 1 foot in front of him, 2 feet above him. It hammered him and his head hit the ground just to pop back up. I shot him again and again his head dropped but he couldn't raise it quite as high. Shot again and this time he uncoiled, couldn't raise his head. Even uncoiled, he was still rattling hard. I shot him one more time for good measure, cut a few trees out of the trail, and when I came back he was still rattling slightly. I stepped on his head, cut it off, and kicked it down a wash on the side of the mountain.

I carry a 22LR for snakes around the place about 98% of the time but it's loaded with CCI Stingers. 22LR shot is reserved for carpenter bees.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Snakes aren't bullet proof. . . Jus sayin.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Snakes aren't bullet proof. . . Jus sayin.

laugh

This one didn't like 230gr handball to the head...

You can see the hole in his head if you look close enough.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is a snake track going across the road to our shop at Twin Blades. We have seen some big 6 feet+ diamond backs on the property, but nothing that would have left a track this wide. That is a 6 inch ruler laying across it. We saw a track a couple of years ago that would have dwarfed this track. While this one is likely a big diamond back that had just eaten a rabbit or squirrel, the previous track could not have been. It was close to ten inches wide. I don't have a clue what could have made that track. Still this one is big enough.

My pard and I got this one in Ga. way back in the day...7'3" and 19 inches around...so he could have easily left a track like that...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dayum ingwe eek,

That's a monster..........

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GeoW
One of the biggest diamond backs I ever saw was crossing the hwy between Statesboro and Metter.

g

Well, how big?,

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,924
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.