Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In high school used to be one of the first on in the morning and last off the bus in the afternoon. I'd check out F&S and Sports Afield from the school library and read them on the way home. Good stuff back then.

American Rifleman has become so annoying anymore with single column strips and page skipping for the very few articles I find worth reading, all bloated with carni-grade ads. I skim each volume now quickly and toss them out more often than not. On rare occasion, I see something worthwhile and cut it loose for a notebinder reference.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by htr3
Thanks John for the history lesson. I have some hunting story books from my dad's childhood (50's) and mine (70's and 80's). And a few newer than that. Been re-reading some of them to my suburban young kids (9 and 4). The stories engage their imagination much more than articles about "best glass for the money" or "best powder burn rates for the Creed" even though I can't stop reading those smile

John,
I too want to thank you for the stroll through the history of hunting magazines; with the added insight to the reader driven and business interests affecting the content between the pages. Starting way back in 1949 or 1950 (a couple of years before I got my first single shot 410 at age 11) my love of hunting, fishing, and the outdoors was routinely fed by the likes of Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, and any other outdoor book/magazine I could get into my young hands. The changes in content you described were noted, but you provided a logical explanation to the change in content that had not occurred to me before. As much as I am interested in the "how-to and gear information", I love and miss the "smell, taste, and thrill of the hunt, or setting of the hook", described in the old hunting and fishing stories. Guess I need to buy more books! grin

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 06/11/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 458Win
Mr Peabodies coal train, and all the TV hunting shows, done hauled them away.

Dang poor substitute, almost unwatchable for the most part.

And without a doubt, with only an exception or two, one of the very worst enemies of our hunting tradition. Most of them simply reinforce an ever-growing negative stereotype.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean the gap-toothed, bubba-hugging, inappropriate-giggling, NASCAR-style product-placement stereotype?

Hadn't noticed.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pretty much. It's up there with the fist-pumping, chest-bumping, sitting on the animals, etc. If hunting is ever outlawed a big part of the decision will be our own fault. There are some pretty good shows out there - Steve Ranella comes to mind. But there are also a whole lot of really poor ones too.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by RevMike
Pretty much. It's up there with the fist-pumping, chest-bumping, sitting on the animals, etc. If hunting is ever outlawed a big part of the decision will be our own fault. There are some pretty good shows out there - Steve Ranella comes to mind. But there are also a whole lot of really poor ones too.

I like Rinella's show too. The other two I watch are Solo Hunter and The Shooting Show (about shooting and hunting in the UK), both on YouTube.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too miss those stories in the "big three" of decades past. As a 9 year old kid,the barber in the little town not too far from our farm got all three. When he learned I liked guns and hunting, he started giving the month old issues to me when the new ones came. I devoured them. At 12, Jack O'Connor announced his retirement......I read "Hail and Fairwell" with horror! But I learned to enjoy Carmichel (spelling) too. One thing I always liked about O'Connor's writing...he wove little mini stories into his "how to" articles. Books like The Hunting Rifle and The Rifle Book are full of one or two paragraph tales of his experiences. I've noticed that Mule Deer does that as well. Instead of just saying that polymer tipped bullets increase BC and thus increase effective range of a rifle, he tells of a prairie dog hunt where he used his smaller rifles more due to the increased performance of this technology. This seamless weaving of good hunting stories and information makes for very pleasant reading.

Last edited by 300_savage; 06/13/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am one that enjoys articles that review gear for hunting, target shooting or self-defense. Out of all the authors, I enjoy anything John writes. His wry sense of humor keeps me laughing through his articles even if I'm learning something at the same time. I've been steeped in academia for 20 years; dry, concise, technical writing. John's writing style is a delight for me to read regardless of the subject matter. I read Peter Capstick's Death in the Long Grass, Death in Silent Places and Death in a Lonely Land, greatly enjoying each book. I didn't read those books to learn "how to", but rather for pure escapism. I've read a lot of other authors over the last 44 years. My wife used to get pissed off when I would lay 5 magazines on the conveyor belt with the groceries. John consistently has been my favorite author. He entertains and teaches simultaneously.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,344 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,291
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.