Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I have a friend the lives 2 ridge tops over from me. He built his dream observatory about 1 1/2 years ago and has gotten into astrophotography in a big way. You can see some of the images he has made here:

http://www.blueridge-observatory.net/

I just got a text today telling me he sold his telescope and replaced it with one with 10X the power "enough to see a few billion light years farther out".

He just took up deer hunting last year and posts on occasion here. I'll ask him to give us a heads up if he spots the "Earth 2 trillion light years away" off ramp with his new equipment....

Seriously check out some of the images on Dave's web page. Space is beautiful and pretty much beyond words to describe. I think the nebulas are my favorites:

http://www.blueridge-observatory.net/nebulas.htm

Thank you. Amazing!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dave's screen name is Starsplitter. It was fun getting an astronomer into big game hunting/shooting high power rifles last Fall. He has a portable telescope we use as a spotting scope... seeing bullet holes at 400 yards is not a problem.

He shot a pretty 8 point buck but I think he was disappointed it was only a 200 yard shot...

I sent him a note telling him I had put a plug in about his web page. Maybe he will join in. He LOVES talking about astronomy. I have not heard him mention any ET sighting though....

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I know a woman - a sober, hardworking gal who's a Wyoming native - and quite a hunter, to boot - flys her own plane and can run high school football stars into the ground when guiding them to a mountain lion - who told me a story I sincerely believe.

She said she was in a friend's house one evening, looking out the picture window across a wide valley, where the main power lines run through the state. She saw a small silvery oblong shape drop down and hover over the power lines. It had lights that rotated around its long axis - I don't remember what color she said they were - but the craft suddenly dropped down to the power lines, and all the lights went out in the house and across the valley. As it sat there on the lines, multi-color lights started moving around the craft from side to side, and after a few seconds it lifted off, paused, and then shot up into the sky faster than she could follow it. Shortly afterward, all the lights came back on - at the friend's house and across the valley, which she could plainly see from her position. Her friends were in another room and hadn't seen the ship - they just wondered what had caused the short-term power outage.

Whether that craft was of extra-terrestrial origin or not, I don't know. But if it was made here, I want a ride!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by czech1022
There are 200-400 billion solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy. The Hubble telescope has confirmed that there are an estimated 200 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Note that I said the "observable" universe - there are certainly parts of our universe that can't be observed at this time, and possibly even other universes.

And even if we say that our solar system is unique, that there is only a one-in-a-million chance that there is another one like it that is perfect for nurturing and sustaining life, when you multiply 300 billion times 200 billion and divide it by one million, that leaves you with the number of solar systems perfect for sustaining life equal to 6 followed by 16 zeros.

And that is only for the areas we KNOW about.

and it seems that sentient species seem to breed to extinction, once they pass the industrial revolution.

And how would one even know that if we don't even know of any other sentient species?

Judging from the sample we can observe.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by czech1022
There are 200-400 billion solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy. The Hubble telescope has confirmed that there are an estimated 200 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Note that I said the "observable" universe - there are certainly parts of our universe that can't be observed at this time, and possibly even other universes.

And even if we say that our solar system is unique, that there is only a one-in-a-million chance that there is another one like it that is perfect for nurturing and sustaining life, when you multiply 300 billion times 200 billion and divide it by one million, that leaves you with the number of solar systems perfect for sustaining life equal to 6 followed by 16 zeros.

And that is only for the areas we KNOW about.

and it seems that sentient species seem to breed to extinction, once they pass the industrial revolution.

And how would one even know that if we don't even know of any other sentient species?

Judging from the sample we can observe.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if that were true, I don't think we'd be debating the issue right now, would be?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trying to google this with mixed results, but there is a scale of civilizations – I think it is related to the Kardashev scale which is based on ability to harness energy but it also defines a species’ social development.

Anyway, the idea is that a civilization advances to the point where it can harness the atom which gives it the ability to destroy itself but is not advanced enough spiritually or socially or whatever to refrain from doing so. Who knows how many civilizations of little green or pink or blue people killed off their entire planets before they were able to travel to other stars? We’re at that stage right now.

That’s the first major obstacle to overcome – does a species advance sociologically enough to not destroy itself? Assuming it does it then reaches a point where it can travel the stars. If it does travel the stars, the fact that it was able to not kill itself off lends credence to the idea that it would be benevolent enough to other life forms.

In other related news, I always wondered how the Klingons achieved space travel. They were a race of warriors, the warrior caste was top dog and if you weren’t a warrior then you weren’t kl’farg. Yet they would have needed Klingon nerds to develop warp drives and all the other goodies needed for space travel. So how did the Klingon science nerds survive in that culture? Another mystery which we may never know…

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

In other related news, I always wondered how the Klingons achieved space travel. They were a race of warriors, the warrior caste was top dog and if you weren’t a warrior then you weren’t kl’farg. Yet they would have needed Klingon nerds to develop warp drives and all the other goodies needed for space travel. So how did the Klingon science nerds survive in that culture? Another mystery which we may never know…

Jim,
With all due respect, you need to learn how to talk to girls. Your whole focus in life will change.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But none of them speak Klingon. Or Dothraki, for that matter... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And we haven't even brought up their Cloaking device yet, no small feat.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Trying to google this with mixed results, but there is a scale of civilizations – I think it is related to the Kardashev scale which is based on ability to harness energy but it also defines a species’ social development.

Anyway, the idea is that a civilization advances to the point where it can harness the atom which gives it the ability to destroy itself but is not advanced enough spiritually or socially or whatever to refrain from doing so. Who knows how many civilizations of little green or pink or blue people killed off their entire planets before they were able to travel to other stars? We’re at that stage right now.

That’s the first major obstacle to overcome – does a species advance sociologically enough to not destroy itself? Assuming it does it then reaches a point where it can travel the stars. If it does travel the stars, the fact that it was able to not kill itself off lends credence to the idea that it would be benevolent enough to other life forms.

Jim,

I'm familiar with it. I just think it's another bullshyt theory that can't be proven and has no basis in fact. Which comes back to my original question and point: What sentient civilization have we observed that has made itself extinct after an industrial revolution? The answer to that is there isn't one.

The only sentient civilization we know of is ours, and we're still around. If we do become extinct then I'll concede the point, but I don't think it'll matter much then. . . grin

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/13/18.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sorry, I'd prefer you had a great forever. frown

Tell you what. You write a book. If it rings a bell with more than lieberals i will vote fer yer ideas.

I mean, fughk, who am i supposed to believe, someone who names himself a 'kook' in his name, or the Creator?

Do you think He directed you to do that by accident?

Not worried about my forever, but thanks, Ralph.
I’m not writing any books.
Believe what the fughk YOU want.
Why would I contemplate sky daddies direction if I don’t acknowledge him?

Finally. Thanks for your permission. smile

PS. Btw, the Bill of Rights and our amendments were not made up by this nations founders to give us those rights. Those amendments were to protect from govt the rights our founders felt were given us at bith by our Creator. They were to guarantee those rights be retained by the people in this country.

Thanks again, Ralph.

But who in the fugg doesn't know this schit?

Sean
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sorry Cal. May God bless you.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
No.

The idea that ET needs any sort of tin can 'craft' to traverse space and time is so idiotic it's difficult to put into words.

Maybe ET aint onboard...it could just be info gathering UAVs [drones] that they send... laugh

Originally Posted by Hancock27
Why would an Alien life form visit earth,?

same reason dirty old men visit Thailand?

Highly advanced-evolved beings having sex with mere humans would be akin to beastiality.

If the aliens are huge, they could use humans like gerbils...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, no, maybe...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gus is living proof.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 52 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,260
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.