Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
If you used a new knife this past hunting season, please tell us what you used(details!)and give a short review of the knife's performance.
Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used an Ingram. It was great. The end.

smile Sarcasm at its finest, all true though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also used an Ingram model 7+ in D2 with Black Micarta. Worked great on the two bucks this year.

Joe

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I used 2 new ones, but I made them (if that counts here). I used one on a mule deer (similar to a classic Loveless Drop Point with maple burl handle) and one on an elk (with a sort of spear point design with off white lined micarta handle).
I use 440c with a heck of a good heat treat and have had great success with sharpness and edge holding, and so have others who have used my knives.
This is not an advertisement.
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Used a progressive tempered Lauri blank and green/black canvas micarta to build another knife this year. Ridiculously sharp, has cleaned and gutted several salamis, a couple pounds of summer sausage and processed about six feet of pork tenderloins so far and is still sharp. For under $25 and some time invested its well worth the effort.

I will notice that edge retention in general has gone up significatly on all knives since I started using an Apex Edgepro to sharpen my knives. Between thinning the edge, producing a more consistent edge along the full length of the blade and getting them ultra sharp to begin with has made a big difference.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
varmintsinc

Is the Apex Edgepro similar to the Lansky system??
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Same concept, but different means of production. I have both and the lasky has sat in the drawer. The Apex is smoother, quicker and more consistent. The website has a demo video that is a very realistic representation of how the product works.

The price is a little more but its like comparing a pinto to a lotus.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Same concept, but different means of production. I have both and the lasky has sat in the drawer. The Apex is smoother, quicker and more consistent. The website has a demo video that is a very realistic representation of how the product works.

The price is a little more but its like comparing a pinto to a lotus.

Do you have a link to the Apex system? I've been using a Lansky, but am open to a better system.

TIA,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here you go, Don ..... Edge Pro

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Walker
Here you go, Don ..... Edge Pro

Walker,

Thanks mucho!!

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shucks, I skinned and boned a nice bull elk with a 9.50 cent Swede Mil surplus Frost made mil surp knife from Sportsman's Guide.

Did fine with no need for honing.

Had some more expensive edged tools with but never needed them..

When I bought the first of these knives two years ago, and saw the quality, I orderd another TEN.

Have given them to an assortment of folks who work and hunt in the outdoors from 12 years to 60 and they all like them...and USE them.
If you lose them, no biggie and they aren't queens for the display case.:)

I blued mine with OxphoBlue ( it's carbon steel) but other than that, they are a great bargain for the money..See the link( and know, I ain't one of SG's AD men)
Jim
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=78455

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
DMB if you are looking hard at the edgepro the only stones you really need are the 180/220, the 320 and then skip to the 600. This will cover everything you should need to do. I keep messsing around with the polishing tapes up to a 3000grit to humor myself but reality indicates the 600 is plenty sharp.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
DMB if you are looking hard at the edgepro the only stones you really need are the 180/220, the 320 and then skip to the 600. This will cover everything you should need to do. I keep messsing around with the polishing tapes up to a 3000grit to humor myself but reality indicates the 600 is plenty sharp.

Thanks for the info.
Are the stones Diamond, or regular Arkansas?
I have diamond stones with the Lansky, as I think they remove steel faster than the regular ones.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don, do you have some bench stones on hand?

MacDonald
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WMacD
Don, do you have some bench stones on hand?

Yes, I have some Arkansas stones, and some Japanese water stones.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don, if you're considering the Edge Pro sharpening system, you might also want to look at the EZE Sharp. It's a jumbo Lansky-style sharpener that's similar in operation to the Apex and Edge Pro, but with a few differences.

Instead of using stones supplied on a rod or by the manufacturer, the EZE Sharp relies on frames that hold bench stones. It comes with 2 different sized frames, one for 8"x2" stones and a larger frame that takes up to 9"x3" stones. The EZE Sharp also has a clamp that actually holds the knife instead of just laying it on the shelf of the Apex or Edge Pro.

It's made in Australia and is sold here in the US by several companies. The company web site has a little bit of info on it:

EZE Sharp

You can read some reviews on it here:

Blade Forum review
Edge Pro vs EZE Sharp
Another EZE Sharp review

I just ordered two sets from Wolff Industries, who has been selling them for half-off the original price. For $87.50, you can get the system and it comes with both sizes of stone frames; $10.00 more will get you the 8"x2" combination stone.

I wanted some extra stone frames and the Wedge accessory, so I ordered both packages, one with the 100mm flip over and the other with the Wedge. That's less than $200.00 for the 2 systems, 4 stone frames, the Wedge accessory, and 2 combination stones.

EZE Sharp... 1/2 off at Wolff Industries

I have a lot of stones that will fit this, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

MacDonald
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
WMac,

Thanks for the info.
I appreciate it very much.
I'll look into the EZE Sharp system.
I like what you wrote about how it works.
Checked out the links to get a handle on how it works. It's a huge improvement over the Lansky. I like the edge the guy got on the knife in the pix tutorial.
The one thing I don't like about the Lansky is the way the blade is held by a flimsy clamp for holding the angle and sharpening. The EZE Sharp has a much better blade clamp.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
WMac,
Wow I had looked at the EZE sharp but sure as heck was never able to find one at those prices.

DMB,
Anyway...the Edgepro uses natural stones and they cut as fast as you could possibly want them to. I must say I was a little hung up by the lack of a clamp but I quickly become accustomed to it and actually like it better than having the knife clamped.

Jim is absolutley correct, that inexpensive Swiss Mora is the best buy in the market and performs was out of line with its price. I have a couple stashed away in various spots as well. I make most of my knives from blanks for the sole satisfaction of using something I built. Lord knows if I figured my time into the cost they would be be about $500 each. I still have no idea how Ingram can deliver the product he does for what he charges.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WMac,
Wow I had looked at the EZE sharp but sure as heck was never able to find one at those prices.

Yep, other dealers have the same thing for close to $200.00, compared to $87.50 at Wolff. It looks like what I ordered will be delivered tomorrow. I'm anxious to try it out.

MacDonald
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last fall I used my Helle Eggen for the time on a good sized bull moose that I shot. I skinned and cut up the entire moose without ever having to sharpen it. By the time I was finished it was getting a little dull but I was amazed that I could do a whole moose with just 1 knife.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44mc, AlanF, anothergun, 7887mm08, Amos63, 8 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.