-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Came across a gun yesterday I know little about, the Remington 24? I own a browning Belgium 22-auto but rarely shoot it because of its condition and I have other 22's I use more often(10/22, 40x, cz 452). This gun did intrigue me because it's about 90% condition when one takes in account its age. It's s 22 Lr and actually comes with 2 barrels(21 inch and 19.5). Blue book value was crazy high and gunbroker is all over the place. I was wondering what you guys opinion was of this gun and what it's worth? Thx for any and all advice

Eric

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 24 was not rated for hi-speed ammo, just standard velocity. The 241 which came later was rated for the the hi-speed rounds. That said, the 24 is a cool little rifle and IMHO a bit neater than the 241, especially since Remington changed the take down mechanism on the 241. I had the opportunity to work with a 24 for a few weeks and it was a very slim little rifle with great handling characteristics. Not knowing the limitations I ran a box or two of Winchester Super-X through it. The ejection was quite positive. wink

In operation it's pretty much a copy of your Browning - which it is. You can take it down and disassemble it for cleaning in a few seconds, the breech bolt and entire action comes out in one unit after the barrel is removed. All milled steel and old-school work inside. Also, since it is like the the Browning SA-22 you will know about limitations for mounting a scope. Lyman (IIRC) made a peep sight for the 24 which mounted with the two screws at the top rear of the receiver but those are hard to find and pretty spendy if one is found.

As you note, value is hard to pin down. 4 years ago beat up to "shooter grade" ones were going in the low 200 to 300 dollar range. Just checked on gunbroker and see that one guy wants $500 for a scarred up rust bucket and another wants $599 for one in very nice condition, but I think the latter is being optimistic in today's softer market while the rust bucket seller is living in dreamland. There are a few shooter grade ones that look all of their 80-90 year age with starting bids in the $350 range so that looks to be what the current market is expecting. However, one in 90% condition with two barrels would probably be worth somewhere north of $400-450 but that's just my personal complete WAG. At least I wouldn't pay more than that for one unless it was in exceptional condition and that particular rifle really spoke to me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I'm not up on their values either but I do know that you need to check the barrel to recover lockup on those rifles to be sure it isn't loose and/or worn.
The barrel shouldn't rotate in its joint (meaning the alignment "key" is significantly smaller than the notch it fits in to - a little is probably unavoidable) or flex up/down or side-to-side in the joint under normal hand pressure when the locking screw is tight. Especially since the previous owner had a spare barrel to switch in and out.

If its good, I'm guessing $350 to $500. But I'm really guessing.
The last one I saw was a 60% finish gun with questionable lockup, a rust spot in the barrel and some home grown brass tack artwork on the stock (that can be interesting but this time it just wasn't) that I think went for $125. Yours sounds much better and more valuable than that.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a M24, in .22 Short, only. It's fun to shoot, and absolutely a killer on trapped coons. It was re-blued sometime in its life, which has been long, as it's got a four-digit serial number. Mine isn't worth much, the barrel's first half is very poor, due to the old corrosive ammo used in those days. but with the new bluing, it's not too bad to look at. It's loose and sloppy in the worn-out takedown mechanism, but it still works well enough. It was a gallery gun, and limited to a five-round capacity due to a crimped magazine follower tube.
My late brother gave it to me about a month before he passed away, so the sentimental value is way more than the $$ value.

Like the 241s and the Brownings, they are fun little guns, but they will toss the empties down your left shirt sleeve most of the time, and that is not fun, those little cases are hot. In all honesty, I rarely shoot it, unless I catch a coon in the trap outside the house. The shorts are quiet enough to shoot here in town, usually. I can't find any standard velocity Shorts anywhere, so I have to use the Short HV HPs. I limit my use of them for that reason. Any .22 built in the '20s, like mine, should not be used with HV ammo.

They were built when intricate machining was not a rare thing, and the quality of the work is just amazing. Interesting little guns, and again, they prove the genius of John Moses Browning.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the model 24 that my grandfather bought for my father as an 8th grade graduation present in 1928. Its still in good condition and is fun to shoot though I don't take it out often. My dad said it accounted for many rabbits and pheasants during the great depression and saw more use than the shotgun since ammo was cheaper than shotshells. I shot it a lot growing up in the 1950's. I could buy a box LR for 45 cents. Sometimes I would feed it one at a time with shorts as they were 35 cents per box. I also am fortunate to have the Winchester 1906 pump made in 1911 that belonged to my wife's grandfather.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 700shooter
Came across a gun yesterday I know little about, the Remington 24? I own a browning Belgium 22-auto but rarely shoot it because of its condition and I have other 22's I use more often(10/22, 40x, cz 452). This gun did intrigue me because it's about 90% condition when one takes in account its age. It's s 22 Lr and actually comes with 2 barrels(21 inch and 19.5). Blue book value was crazy high and gunbroker is all over the place. I was wondering what you guys opinion was of this gun and what it's worth? Thx for any and all advice

Eric

I hate how they eject hot brass down your shirt sleeve, so I avoid them in the same way that I would avoid a syphilitic whore.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Long story of my 24.
Many years ago I was given one that was well used. My BR traveling buddy was Bill Hull.Bill was Shilen's shop manager for about 25 years. Bill did the bluing and sent the barrel out to be relined. John Bunch, oldtime friend and BR competitor did the stock. About 12 years ago I gave it to Bill's father as he always had a love for it. Last year Robert gave it to his grandson, Wade Hull, owner of Shilen. It is in good hands. It was a 22 short.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rem 24 I bought from CBinNH here on the fire. It's in pretty good shape mechanically and about 75% or better on finish. It's tight and has a good bore. I bought a brick of standard pressure ammo and have had a ball with it.
I also own a model 241 in pretty rough shape but is a great shooter and a late model Jap browning ATD that is also a great plinker after some work.
Browning 22 autos are my favorite 22s.

Last edited by 1911a1; 06/20/18.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LGS has some FN version. threaded bbl, think tube in stock has port on top, not side.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,348
Posts18,506,238
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.