Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
4,000 guns ain’t much of an order.

And I’m not sure why Glock is discussed because I don’t recall DPS ever carrying Glocks.

What did they carry previous to the P320?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, what caliber is TDPS going with?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sigs.

As stated by someone else I think they did try the M&P’s for a bit.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

And I’m not sure why Glock is discussed because I don’t recall DPS ever carrying Glocks.

I was thinking the same thought, but was not sure. I can recall troopers having 1911s at some point....at least one of the local ones did I swear. Of course if I was old enough maybe they carried SAAs too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

I was thinking the same thought, but was not sure. I can recall troopers having 1911s at some point....at least one of the local ones did I swear. Of course if I was old enough maybe they carried SAAs too.

I think they carried a S&W M27 longer than anything.

I always thought that was a waste of a good N Frame. Shoulda filled it up with at least a .41 wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
TX DPS carried Sig 226s in .357 for a long time. Before that, 220s in .45 for just about as long.

Rangers, who are a division of Tx DPS, have been authorized 1911s for just about forever, along with just about anything else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by liliysdad
TX DPS carried Sig 226s in .357 for a long time. Before that, 220s in .45 for just about as long.

Rangers, who are a division of Tx DPS, have been authorized 1911s for just about forever, along with just about anything else.

Yeah, Texas Rangers pretty much carry what they want to carry. The unspoken rule is a 1911... Many are engraved and ivory or stag gripped.

I don't remember the Highway Patrol division ever carrying a 1911 though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gentlemen,

When I began my service with the Texas Highway Patrol in '68, we were issued the Model 28, Highway Patrol S7W's. The Rangers could carry anything if they coulkd qualify with it. The majority carried Colt Model 1911,usually in .45ACP.
Hope this helps some.

Jim

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Yeah, Texas Rangers pretty much carry what they want to carry. The unspoken rule is a 1911... Many are engraved and ivory or stag gripped.

I don't remember the Highway Patrol division ever carrying a 1911 though.

Unfortunately the one I seem to think carried a 1911 was not a ranger, and was killed in a vehicle wreck some years ago or I'd go ask him.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OTOH I don't get paranoia... those that are scared of the glock type stuff these days want manual safety. Fine a 1911 has that plus a grip safety.... but seemed when 1911 was king, most folks were scared to death of it, especially cocked and locked, the only way Carolyn or I carry a 1911.

Fairly simple generally speaking, don't point at or put your finger on the trigger unless you are committed to killing and you generally won't get an surprise.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by hanco
I have Glocks, they are fun to shoot, but I like a manual safety.

Me too, my old 2nd gen G19 is my "if I could have only one" handgun, but it wears the "NY" 12lb trigger spring set-up.

Other's MMV.

A 12 lb spring is the equivalent of having an L tattooed on your forehead. Knowledge replaces fear when joined by practice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sigs.

As stated by someone else I think they did try the M&P’s for a bit.

I know they switched FROM the 357 Sig cartridge several years ago and then went back to it. My hunting buddy, Peggy’s BIL is retired from DPS and he bought the SIG he was carrying rather than turn it in. I know they went back to it later from a conversation with a Trooper some years after that.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One thing that has been noted here, and is impossible to cover in a department situation, the better a gun fits you the better you will generally shoot that gun...

I can't say that the wife and I don't prefer the 1911... better trigger, feels better. Shoots fine. But we take the trade off of ammo towards the double stack at times for certain things.

I had to learn to shoot the Beretta 92 for pistol matches, I didn't really like that gun that much but it sure worked for what I needed it too.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jeff,

Speaking of old DPS troopers is A F Hall still alive down there in La Grange???

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The State of Texas is not going to change vendors unless forced. That's just how it works. Nothing against Sig, but DPS buying something is not an endorsement.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The State of Texas is not going to change vendors unless forced. That's just how it works. Nothing against Sig, but DPS buying something is not an endorsement.

I used to think the same thing about the West Virginia State Police and their nearly one-hundred year love affair with Smith & Wesson, but that changed recently as they ended up signing a contract with Glock. I was shocked to be honest.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

The only Texas State Trooper I know is already carrying a .357 Sig but I don't know the brand of the pistol. You can easily convert a Glock 22 to .357 Sig is why I mentioned Glock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,829
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.