Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Greetings all,

My brother-in-law, who was also my best hunting buddy, died last year. He left behind my sister, their daughter, and their two sons ages 11 and 14. I am going to take my two nephews deer hunting this season, but I need to teach them to shoot a rifle other than a 22lr. From what I understand they are somewhat proficient with their 22s with open sights but they have yet to shoot a scoped rifle. I would like to buy them a rifle to use while they are deer hunting with me. I want to buy one rifle for them both to use while in a tower stand with me. I am not sure either are going to like deer hunting and b cause they live 9 hours away they will unfortunately only be shooting about a week a year with me. I am looking for suggestions on a rifle. While they will need something with a shorter stock I am hoping To be able to also use the rifle myself. I am wondering if there are rifles out there with perhaps an adjustable stock? Or perhaps should I look at something that I could just drop the barrel/action into a longer stock as I am 6’2”. Budget is tight will need to be 800 or less. Also I have got and older savage 110 in 308 that I thought may be an option with reduced recoil rounds but I’m thinking the stock may be a little long for them. Thanks all for any advice or information you can help me with in advance.

Scott

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with a youth model Rem 700 in .243. In a few years grab a full size stock to fit them. Light recoil and fun to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tikka, and another replacement stock.

Or, being they'll have a rest in your stand, pick up a replacement stock for that 308.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And for sure a quality scope with plenty of eye relief.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308
And for sure a quality scope with plenty of eye relief.

An older VXII would offer that. Lots to be had on the cheap.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What ever your choice is, make sure that it's something that does not knock their socks off. Giving a youth a 300 wthby is not fun for them. They become recoil sensitive.

Is there a minimum caliber requirement in your area ? A well placed shot from a .223 with a 62-64 grain bullet works on white tail with proper placement.

Maybe get with a few buddies. See what calibers they have, set up a range day and see what the nephews enjoy and can shoot accurately.

Good luck, and THANK YOU for mentoring your nephews !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
check out the Tikka compact. it comes with a spacer you can add as they get older.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Tikka, and another replacement stock.

Or, being they'll have a rest in your stand, pick up a replacement stock for that 308.

Replacement stock for the rifle you have.

Second choice, T3 ( you can find them used for a good price) in 7mm-08. 120 gr factory loads don’t kick much but kill like the hammer of Thor. I speak from experience.

Swap the factory hockey puck sissy pad for a Limbsaver.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the T/C Compass rifle. I bought two of them this past winter, one in .270 and another in 6.5 CM. Both came to $210 with the $75 rebate they were running. They now have a $50 rebate. Both shoot easily under the 1 MOA guaranteed by the manufacturer with both my handloads and factory loads. The LOP is kind of short at 13.25", but would be great for kids with the very soft recoil pad. And somebody with a long LOP can add a Sims slip on recoil pad and increase LOP by 1", as I have done occasionally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my sons (8yo and 11yo) use the same Ruger American 243 with a Weaver K6 scope. Not fancy by any means, but it fits (a bit long for the 8yo but the don't make LH compact stocks anymore) well enough and is simple. I really like fixed power scopes for kids. Less to fiddle with. I'm into the whole setup for $550.

It works for us!
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Last edited by pointer; 06/27/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAR Compact 243. If they don't like it, easy to find another stock. Good little rifles. I'd say "Tikka", but it's a 2 for 1 deal these days it seems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scotts308
Greetings all,

My brother-in-law, who was also my best hunting buddy, died last year. He left behind my sister, their daughter, and their two sons ages 11 and 14. I am going to take my two nephews deer hunting this season, but I need to teach them to shoot a rifle other than a 22lr. From what I understand they are somewhat proficient with their 22s with open sights but they have yet to shoot a scoped rifle. I would like to buy them a rifle to use while they are deer hunting with me. I want to buy one rifle for them both to use while in a tower stand with me. I am not sure either are going to like deer hunting and b cause they live 9 hours away they will unfortunately only be shooting about a week a year with me. I am looking for suggestions on a rifle. While they will need something with a shorter stock I am hoping To be able to also use the rifle myself. I am wondering if there are rifles out there with perhaps an adjustable stock? Or perhaps should I look at something that I could just drop the barrel/action into a longer stock as I am 6’2”. Budget is tight will need to be 800 or less. Also I have got and older savage 110 in 308 that I thought may be an option with reduced recoil rounds but I’m thinking the stock may be a little long for them. Thanks all for any advice or information you can help me with in advance.

Scott

One option I'd look at includes replacing the stock on your .308W Savage 110.

The Ruger Scout comes in 6.5CM and the stock is adjustable in 1/2" increments. I'd ditch the steel mag and get a (more or less) flush-fitting 3-round synthetic. I put a $30 brake picked up at a gun show on my .308 Win Scout and my hunting buddy, who has shoulder issues, said it has "no recoil". Should be great for the kids (short stock, pretty well balanced with 18.7" barrel, low recoil and great cartridge).

I picked up a Vortex forward mount scope for my Scout and put it in Quick Disconnect rings, allowing me to use the irons or scope at will (which is one reason I bought it to begin with.) Handy little rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
RAR Compact 243. If they don't like it, easy to find another stock. Good little rifles. I'd say "Tikka", but it's a 2 for 1 deal these days it seems.

+1.

Add a VX-II 3-9 and your in business. Some prior experience shooting a scoped .22 would help them learn the use of a scope when they step up to the centerfire.

Also, sorry to hear about your BIL... Really sorry for the kids sake, man that tough at those ages.

Hats off to you for being willing to help out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd look for another stock you can cut down for the Savage .308. Should be easy to find and economical. That is if they cant shoot well with the stock currently on it. Most of us were shooting rifles with full length stocks at that age as that was all that we had access to. The managed recoil loads that are available in .308 work extremely well on deer and hogs. We have used those loads quite a bit on youth hunts and I have been impressed with their on-game performance. If you hand load or know someone that does you have allot of additional options. The 125 ballistic tip and the 125 accubond make great reduced recoil loads in the .308.

Whatever you do, good on you for getting those kids in the field and spending time with them!!!!

Last edited by Mohawk; 06/27/18.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hey all thanks for the kind words and all the advice. I am going to research a bit but y’all have pointed me in plenty of good directions and I appreciate it a lot.

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here you go. cdnn sports

There are 9 243's. One is a pretty neat Model 7.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you reload? Any cartridge is a kid’s cartridge with the right load.

My boy with his first two bucks:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Twelve years old, full size .30-06, 150 Accubonds loaded down.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pharmseller is right, reduced handloads are an excellent way to roll.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
308 with the Barnes TTSX 130 grain over Varget is pleasant to shoot and effective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scotts308
Hey all thanks for the kind words and all the advice. I am going to research a bit but y’all have pointed me in plenty of good directions and I appreciate it a lot.

Scott

2 suggestions:

1. Remington 700 ADL youth in 243. A handy length 20" barrel and a stock with a shorter LOP that can easily be replaced with a full-size stock when they get older/bigger. Wal-Mart sells these as a package with a low-grade 3-9x scope for a little less than $400.

2. Marlin XS-7 in 243 from CDNN for $240. A great value and new, or as-new, take-off youth length stocks can often be purchased via eBay for under $50.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,097
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.