Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Cat... close the thread

Agree 100%. We have had several over the years and all have performed well. We currently have a 2017 279D and it is one helluva machine!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

O
O
THe track machines in snow are usually bad. The old ASV tracks did work awesome in snow, but I don't believe any one makes that style any more. Be sure to get a high flow machine to run that blower, they work a lot better then the standard flow. You can get clawm traction products that mount in the tracks that work well. I would definitely avoid concrete or asphalt with these. THe other option is they do make winter tracks but they cost a lot and the compound is to soft to run in warm weather. So you have to change them. Most of the machines out today are pretty capable. I would look hard at what kind of local support you have for parts. Sucks having to hunt for parts. Cat usually has the best support for parts but it comes at a premium price.

GFY
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Caterpillar.... and the rest may catch up eventually.

In my experience the Cat salesmen that I have dealt with over the years are not pushy. They have all been well trained and educated on the equipment they sell. They have all given the info I needed to make an educated decision. Talk to one of them and see what they suggest.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As noted above, high flow 3rd circuit. I have heavy steel grouser tracks over foam filled tires on my Case. GREAT on dirt, gravel, sand, mud. Packed down snow or ice... Hang on... If I plan to use it to move snow, I make sure that I am the first one out the door and get the snow work done before anyone drives on it...

Friend does dirt work for a living. Primarily foundations for custom builders. He uses a Takeuchi on rubber tracks for all of his back fill and leveling work.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've run JD 333D and CAT 297 units and I prefer the JD unit. The JD balances better with a load. It easily out pushed the CAT 297. The CAT has had problems with large debris getting suck behind the actuator arms for the quick connect. The JD has a plate covering the arms to keep the big stuff out.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Takeuchi and close the thread if you're talking track machines. New Holland/Gehl/Case if I was going wheeled( which I would for landscaping and snow removal) I liked my Bobcat's but our local dealer sucks balls.

I'd be looking for strong, local dealer support also.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/29/18.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's all about local dealer availability/support. Any of the new machines work great.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've used this machine every winter for quite a few years to remove the snow on the county access road we used to live on. It was paved, steep, and 1 mile long. Never needed chains but there was some technique involved. I landscape and do contracting for a living too, so it works for that as well. Bought it with 176 hours on the clock for $12,250. Best money I ever spent. Sitting on 1085 hours right now. Have spent a total of $3000 on repairs and maintenance in 900 hours. I charge out at $95 an hour with it. Spent 5 hours on it today cleaning out this barn in prep for concrete.

[Linked Image]

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stripe55
I m transitioning from mill work to active retirement. I want to stay busy and over the years I've taken on many small logging/firewood jobs that the guys with processors don't want. Ive used a tractor with a loader and while it kinda works, its not getting the job done and with no overhead protection I'm bound to run out of luck

The snow blowing side, while new to me, is where I'll make some money. Have a place on a lake in U.P., and we generally are socked in come mid December. Forrest roads are plowed but none of the long 2 tracks in are and folks are left to snowmobile or snow shoe in
Several years back I rented a loader to open our rd, as things are too narrow to just plow. I had a ton of request to open up other camps and it was lucrative as it was a big snow yr. A blower is the way to go here as i have to get rid of the snow.

Ive been on a unit with tracks on dirt and loved it, but never on snow. A few of you have made the comment that tracks on the snow are not ideal, is there a compromise other than full chain?

Thanks for the insights, and so far, of the dealers Ive visited, Cat is looking best for what I believe are my needs, but I have to get on a few more units

Ok, I know I sounded like a fan boy in my last response, so let me explain a little.
Although I have never owned anything but Cat, I have operated Bobcat, Geil, Case and Takeuchi. Out of those, I would only ever consider a Takeuchi.
I currently own a wheeled and a track machine, (both Cat). A 252B and a 289D.
If I were going to do snow and dirt work I would probably lean toward a wheeled machine. Once the snow is packed, a tracked machine isn't your best bet. If you can get to the snow when it is fresh and you are using a snow thrower or you are scraping down to the surface, tracks may be ok. However, with a wheeled machine, you can put Grouser tracks over the wheels for dirt and tire chains on in the winter for snow. Grouser tracks could get you hurt in the snow. I run Grousers on my wheeled machine all the time and it goes like a tank. The steel tracks stabilize it some too.
Around here the good dealers will do a tow and show for you. My salesman has brought me a machine and let me play with it for a half a day. I could also drive to more than one dealer and play in a pile of dirt that they have. Cat and Bobcat both offer that, not sure about the others. To me the Cat salesmen were educators, which I liked. Bobcat and the rest were salesmen, which I hate. I have never had a Cat salesman bash another brand, but the Bobcat guy never stopped. His promotion of his machine was based on making others look bad or trying to.
As others have said, dealer support is key and Cat is on top around here. My last 2 salesmen have always been very accessible, evenings and weekends too and I am small potatoes for them.
If you are serious about buying, a good dealer should let you demo one too.
Take your time and pick what YOU are comfortable with. They are machines, they all require maintenance and they can all break.....they can make you a lot of money too.
Good luck.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stripe55
Preference of brand and any insights
Thanks

I’ve used a tracked, cab Kubota and it is fugging nice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I live in North Dakota and we get a little winter and snow. I do not believe I have ever seen a track rig being used for snow removal. Must be a reason for that I would think.. I own an old bobcat and it does ok for snow and dirt. Ed k

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
We used bobcat on most job the guys were really hard on them as they were rentals....ghost things are bulletproof...had a jd on one job and it would outwork the bobcat even being smaller..as the hydrolocs were much better..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,383
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.