W
Any oldtimers remember the days? [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I remember Gunsmoke back in the '50s but that wasn't so long ago.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Xm 148. Wife loves them. I hate the sitcoms.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just barely.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My grandparents had a radio like that....we would listen to it but the radio shows were all done for due to TV....that thing would receive a signal much better than a modern radio...

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) takes a break from biased left wing reporting every Saturday and Sunday between 8-11 PM. I enjoy them. Green Hornet, The Shadow, Have Gun Will Travel, Harry Lime, Boston Blackey. Lots of good ones. Just can't warm up to the banter shows like Bet Your Life and Jack Benny to much but the old mysteries and cops n robbers stuff is fun.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Yep, we had a radio like that during that in my youth in western Montana.

Many years later I hunted a great deal with John Larroquette and I learned that every single one of his television programs used "Dead Laughs."

The Dead Laugh recordings were those of true humor and laughs from the heart; Amos & Andy, George Burns and such ... you know, stuff you'd not be embarrassed to show your mother. No sexual innuendo and no PC bullcrap to make the .00001% of queers feel like they were accepted (which they are not and never will be as long as my generation is alive and kicking!!!)

With no doubt, I'll be "flamed" for these comments, but that is simply the truth and the way it is.

kd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old time radio shows were very cool. I'd listen to them in a heartbeat before watching the trash boolschidt offered on television these days.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember the radios, but I have many of the shows on cassette. Some good, some not so much. All dated, but that's okay.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post. Inspired me to see what's available, and I found this:

https://archive.org/details/TalesOfTheTexasRangers

After download I'll burn it to a disc and listen to it when I commute.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple of the radios in the past, but now I just get the shows on archive.org or on apps for my phone, which is easier than downloading and transferring them. Still have lots on MP3 CDs too. Mostly, I listen to Bob & Ray shows while I nap in the afternoon. They crack me up. Also like Johnny Dollar and Philip Marlowe, especially with Gerald Mohr.

I picked up an old floor-model radio one time, and the very first time I turned it on I heard some Big Band music playing. I tuned it to another station for a bit and when tried to get the first one back, it was nowhere to be found. Very Twilight Zone-ish.

One radio I had used a motorized tuner that went to preset stations when you pressed their button. High-tech stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shadow Knows....

I remember listening to rebroadcasts as a kid in the early 70’s on public radio. Fri or Sat nights.

Had my grandparents radio from the 40’s. Traded it to my Aunt for some of my Grandfathers Railroad items.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I remember gunsmoke, it wasn’t James Arness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I remember gunsmoke, it wasn’t James Arness.

William Conrad?

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm old, but not that old. We didn't get a TV until the late 50's, and though we listened to radio, the only show I remember was The Grand Ole Opry.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Boston Blackie.... Man, that was about 65 years ago... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It was a way to use your imagination. I missed most of them, but the ones I heard, you could just "see" the things being done by the Foley guy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Gun Smoke, The Whistler, The Shadow, Boston Blackie, Fibber Mc Gee & Molly, Jack Benny show with 'Rochester' are some I can remember listening to as little kid on our old early plastic cabinet table model tube radio (GE, IIRC).

We had that radio as far back as I can remember and it was still playing as good as ever on up through the '70s though it did have a few cracks and chips in the old Bakelite cabinet..
Wife and I used that same radio for the first few months of marriage until we could afford our own TV.

Maternal Grandmother had a floor model wood veneer cabinet radio like the OP pictured. The only shows I ever saw her actually sit down and listen to were a local news, farm report, weather and obituary broadcast every morning (basically just a reading of each days local newspaper over the air by a local well known and educated farmer/weather observer). On Sunday mornings she'd sit down and listen to the "Hell Fire and Brimstone" type sermons by some local radio preacher.

Parents bought our first TV, a 17" black and white Westinghouse, around '53-'54,.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We had a radio similar to the one above. It had a lot of wave band selections and we would stay up half the night on weekends trying to tune in distant stations. Lived in Northern VA and some of the stations would turn up their power at night and you could pull in stations from New Orleans, Chicago and other distant locations. We listened to regularly to all the drama and comedy shows as well as the Orpry and Louisiana Hay ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.