Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
GPS showing landowner - which one and why and references, articles, education. Likes and dislikes?

There should be a lot of interest on these in Idaho given the new trespass laws.

I know Mr. Barsness bought a (Garmin?) GPS for landowner boundaries a few years ago now. I know they are widely advertised but I've seldom seen any discussion beyond advertisements.

I suppose like most things it's a get what you pay for market but then again I've found NavTec was once satisfactory and today is nowhere near so good as Garmin for mapping and driving.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only research I did before buying my Garmin GPSMAP 64 was ask several friends what they used, and the Garmin was the number one choice. Then I went hunting sage grouse for a few days with one of the friends, and was very impressed with both the ease of use and accuracy. The local sporting goods store where he bought his also recommended the Magellan over the others they sell, saying none of their customers were disappointed. I wasn't either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use my iPhone with OnX Maps. Download the maps prior to going and use phone in airplane mode so the battery lasts a long time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PRM, does that app provide stuff like contact info for the landowner? Just curious as that would be hugely helpful.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It provides a name and the tax address. They are pulling from local records. I don’t think you’ll get a number or email so you could contact quickly for permission. Be nice if it could.

Last edited by prm; 07/08/18.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I also use my IPhone or IPad, and OnXMaps. If in a local area where I need to contact owners, having a local phone book along can be handy once you have a landowner name.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The only research I did before buying my Garmin GPSMAP 64 was ask several friends what they used, and the Garmin was the number one choice. Then I went hunting sage grouse for a few days with one of the friends, and was very impressed with both the ease of use and accuracy. The local sporting goods store where he bought his also recommended the Magellan over the others they sell, saying none of their customers were disappointed. I wasn't either.

Living in Texas this can be pretty important information! Did you have to buy any extra software to have the ability to identify landowners?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In Texas, if you are ON private property and don't have written permission, you are trespassing and can be arrested.

No "Posted" signs, paint rings on trees or other designations required. If its private, its posted, period.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt
In Texas, if you are ON private property and don't have written permission, you are trespassing and can be arrested.

No "Posted" signs, paint rings on trees or other designations required. If its private, its posted, period.

Don't know where you got your info, but it sounds a "bit overstated".

This is from the TPWD website:

Frequently Asked Questions
Trespassing
If my property borders a public lake or stream, what can I do to discourage persons traveling in boats from camping on my property?
It is very important to mark property boundaries so that public property may be distinguished from private property. After marking the boundaries of private property, if a trespass problem continues to exist, then call the local game warden or other applicable local law enforcement agency.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rickt300,

Had to buy a chip, which as I recall brought the total price to around $300. You can update the chip every year on the Internet, but the store where I purchased it will also update for a minimal fee.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
I use my iPhone with OnX Maps. Download the maps prior to going and use phone in airplane mode so the battery lasts a long time.

^^^^^This^^^^^

I’ve also used it this when shopping for real estate.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
onX Maps... I use it hunting all over the USA and for buying timberland and finding property lines or the landowner

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
onX Maps saved me from a fist fight with a landowner claiming BLM land as his private property.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A Garmin GPS and an onxmaps chip. This combination will be all you need to find the way wherever you want to go, and stay out of trouble!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCS271
A Garmin GPS and an onxmaps chip. This combination will be all you need to find the way wherever you want to go, and stay out of trouble!

I am finally considering one of these technological wizard machines. Does this "onXmaps chip" go in the Garming GPS or is it something that gets used in one's phone? (which I never use as a GPS)

Thanks for assistance,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Does South Dakota have on line property ownership maps yet?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the major reasons I picked my combo was the Block Management program here in Montana, where the Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department pays landowners a small fee per hunter (or angler) for allowing them on their land. We've taken a lot of game on Block Management properties,hunting them a lot every year.

Most landowners continue to sign up each year, but there are always some changes. The updated chip shows us the Block Management areas, along with state and federal lands--which also sometimes change with land swaps. They're all mixed up around here, and having an updated chip let's us know EXACTLY not just where we can hunt each year, but how to legally walk into those areas. While we hunt some on private property where we've gotten permission directly from the owners, we probably hunt various kinds of public-access land at least 3/4 of the time--and the GPS chip makes it far easier.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I am finally considering one of these technological wizard machines. Does this "onXmaps chip" go in the Garming GPS or is it something that gets used in one's phone? (which I never use as a GPS)

Thanks for assistance,

Geno

The chip goes into your handheld GPS provided the GPS is a newer unit with a slot for the chip.
The chips are also usable in some types of smart phones, PCs and tablets.
The onX maps website has all the details: https://www.onxmaps.com/

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Thanks for assistance,

Geno

The chip goes into your handheld GPS provided the GPS is a newer unit with a slot for the chip.
The chips are also usable in some types of smart phones, PCs and tablets.
The onX maps website has all the details: https://www.onxmaps.com/

MT_DD_FAN,

thanks for that info. When I do get a GPS unit I'll be sure to see that it accepts the chips.

I'll check the onX site too.

MD John,

thanks for your info also. If/when I get one of these goodies it will be primarily for accessing public land.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

+1

Where I hunt there are patches of private land in and around the BLM and forest land I hunt and onxmaps keeps me on the public land.

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (10Glocks, 1moredeer, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,263
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.