-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My recently graduated 18 year old Daughter informed me tonight she will be moving to Las Vegas in 2 weeks. She graduated with a 3.9 GPA and was in advanced placement calculus classes.

She will be " just working wherever and figuring things out".

I get it, because I did it, but it is still a punch in the gut.

After a shot of bourbon and a beer, While I was staring out the kitchen window, after about 20 minutes, a yellow/green breasted hummingbird flew in front of me and hovered about 18 inches from my face for 15-20 seconds and darted off.

First I've seen all year at my place.

I'm not a spiritual guy, but I do acknowledge that, at times, Life is Weird....

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She's young, she will probably figure it out after a few months. Eating baloney sandwiches 3 meals a day gets old pretty quick.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No kids or hummingbirds around here so I'd say you're doing alright.

And Nevada isn't too far from Vegas.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hang in there, dad. What other options did she have?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm thankful that my 18 year old came in and said, "Dad, I am enlisting in the Marine Corps." I will not lie. I had to have a snort and look out the window too. But, that was two years ago, and he is still serving. I firmly believe that he is exactly where he needs to be. May God bless and keep your daughter. I'll tell you, the hardest part of being a parent comes when your children are adults.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many paths. It's all good.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happens. My oldest daughter did something similar. Out at the end of summer after graduation, in and out of college, living all over various jobs. 7 years later? Full time, full benefit 60k job living three miles away from us with her family and my first/only grandchild whom I just spent the entire day with at the zoo have the time of his life.

Love her, keep the criticism to a minimum and have her back.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote=FatCity67]Happens. My oldest daughter did something similar. Out at the end of summer after graduation, in and out of college, living all over various jobs. 7 years later? Full time, full benefit 60k job living three miles away from us with her family and my first/only grandchild whom I just spent the entire day with at the zoo have the time of his life.

Love her, keep the criticism to a minimum and have her back.

Your last sentence says it all. And, sometimes wild colts make the best horses.

Good luck, nemo.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
My recently graduated 18 year old Daughter informed me tonight she will be moving to Las Vegas in 2 weeks. She graduated with a 3.9 GPA and was in advanced placement calculus classes.

After a shot of bourbon and a beer, While I was staring out the kitchen window, after about 20 minutes, a yellow/green breasted hummingbird flew in front of me and hovered about 18 inches from my face for 15-20 seconds and darted off.

As long as she doesn't show up with a Cubic Zirconia engagement ring from a Snoop Dog clone,...it's all good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I'm thankful that my 18 year old came in and said, "Dad, I am enlisting in the Marine Corps." I will not lie. I had to have a snort and look out the window too. But, that was two years ago, and he is still serving. I firmly believe that he is exactly where he needs to be. May God bless and keep your daughter. I'll tell you, the hardest part of being a parent comes when your children are adults.

Grandmother used to have a saying, "your kids sometimes step on your shoestrings when they're little and on your heartstrings after they are grown".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas,

As you can imagine, my mind is all over the place.

It was all a good joke about getting one out of the house, until it came true.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My first left the house two years ago. The second last year. I realized that part of my fear was the test of whether I’d done well enough as a father. My wife did a great job and a better mother they could not have had. But what about me? Ya know I’m well aware of my shortcomings and weaknesses as a father. I’m scared about that.

As I’ve watched them spread their wings I’ve been proud. Some of the good from me and all of the good from their mom stuck. They are adjusting into being on their own. I’m proud of them as I see what they are becoming in spite of who I am. It’s been good.

I pray that you are able to relax and enjoy as she starts to become a full grown adult.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

So....who's gonna provide the grub stake to get her started??? Or is she gonna "wing it"???

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Baloney sammiches 3x a day? That is living large! I recall fixing Ramen noodles once a day and hoping there were enough for leftovers that evening.

That didn't last long, I decided I needed some skills or education to get a job that allowed me to eat better. That was the motivation to get me working another job and decide on a real career path. A year later I was making $25,000 a year base pay, great benefits, and another $3000-$4000 in step increases over the next three years.

33 years later I was earning a rate that would have put me over $80,000 base pay with a significant amount more in overtime. Retired early so pension took a hit but it is still pretty decent.

For someone leaving home without a plan I feel I did all right. Your daughter probably will do so too as she seems to have a better handle on responsibility (based on grades) than I ever imagined.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

nemo,

Give her all you have to give:

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Prayers and lifting you both up.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
why would I be worried about a coked-up, guitar playin nekkid cowboy inviting her to live rent free in his airstream? Cause a hummingbird whispered to me it'd be alright.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.