Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Have a Vangaurd 300 Weatherby , have tried the Nosler reloading Data that says max load was the most accurate with 7828 SSC under 180gr E-Tip . I think 84.5 or something I think was max load . Anyway I started in the middle with 82.5 gr and groups were terrible , also loosening primer pockets to the point they were either loose or fall out .
Any ideas as to what might be going on ?
Bought it used , thought maybe it was copper fouled , this past weekend scrubbed the bore with JB bore paste and mopped it out with patches of Butches Bore Shine , then dry patched it . Used a 7.62x51 chamber brush wrapped in 30 cal. patches to mop out the chamber . Then fired two fouling shots off paper . This time I tried 200gr SGK over 77gr 7828SSC first shot went 9 o'clock of bull three inches right , second shot 11 o'clock of bull three inches above first shot , third shot almost touching first shot , fourth shot , two inches low at 6 o'clock of bull , fifth shot almost touching fourth .
Action screws , scope base screws , lock ring screws have all been tourqed .
Let gun cool while shooting other rifles , then tried IMR4350 , forget grains at moment , not at home , don't have access to target , but it was with in .5 gr of Sierras max load for 200gr SGK . Two inches low at 6 o'clock of bull with next four rounds going in for a one inch five shot group . Three of them overlapping .
Any ideas why primer pockets were getting stretched with the E-tips ? And accuracy so poor .
Kenneth

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you chronoed the loads? I'm guessing the Vanguard doesn't have the 'typical' Weatherby freebore and the loads are way over SAAMI pressure which is why your brass is reacting the way it is. I'd run a chrono ASAP to see where velocity falls.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I guess you didn't read Nosler's instructions for the E-tips.

Middle load with E-tips IS THE MAX LOAD. Sometimes you don't even make it to the middle load with E-tips before pressure signs tell you to stop.

If you get impatient with new guns and new components, one you'd don't have any experience with, and do it often enough, things like this are going to happen.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Excessive pressure.

I'm agreeing with bwinters and Antelopesniper, spend $100 on a chronograph and start with the stating loads not middle loads.

I had a rifle with a tight bore that primers would fall out of fired factory ammo. One shot and surprisingly high velocity was enough to explain the primer falling out. I reloaded for it and Start loads were Max in that rifle.

I'm especially careful with the mono-metal bullets even more so in a rifle I don't have any history with.

People look at primers to judge signs of pressure, when they fall out, it's excessive.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by bwinters
Have you chronoed the loads? I'm guessing the Vanguard doesn't have the 'typical' Weatherby freebore and the loads are way over SAAMI pressure which is why your brass is reacting the way it is. I'd run a chrono ASAP to see where velocity falls.

One of the reasons 30-06 factory ammo is so anemic. It has to work in a 1895 Winchester. Weatherby could not produce a rifle that can’t shoot factory ammo. I’m sure the rifle meets factory specs on chamber and free bore. Or the factory made a mistake. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog

People look at primers to judge signs of pressure, when they fall out, it's excessive.

Made me laugh. I generally don't put too much stock in a primer's appearance when I'm wondering about pressure, but I think it's a pretty safe bet your pressure might be high if primers are seen in motion relative to the case itself.

laugh

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

Originally Posted by bwinters

One of the reasons 30-06 factory ammo is so anemic. It has to work in a 1895 Winchester. Weatherby could not produce a rifle that can’t shoot factory ammo. I’m sure the rifle meets factory specs on chamber and free bore. Or the factory made a mistake. Hasbeen

Max pressure in the Bee is much higher then many if not most other rounds. As a result you have less safety margin when loading to "book max" in a bee.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Antelope hit the nail somewhat , have never had to start at the bottom and work up on a load , but I guess this is one cartridge that rule can't be ignored . Thanks , Kennwth

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I guess you didn't read Nosler's instructions for the E-tips.

Middle load with E-tips IS THE MAX LOAD. Sometimes you don't even make it to the middle load with E-tips before pressure signs tell you to stop.

If you get impatient with new guns and new components, one you'd don't have any experience with, and do it often enough, things like this are going to happen.

I missed the e-tip part. I'm with AS on this one.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
+1 for nosler load book suggestion. They specifically dtate to always start at starting loads using e-tips due to "internal construction differences" not sure how they are different but they say it gor a reason. Maybe you found it.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a .30-06 Weatherby Vangaurd 2 stainless that is my favorite rifle. I found out real quick that its favorite powder with a 150 grain bullet was IMR 4350, But if you go over 56 grains pressure signs start. Maximum loads are out of the question. I use 58 grains of H4831 with 180 RN for hogs and that is as stout a load as it wants. Must be a tight bore or something.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,485
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.