Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Thought I must be the only one not able to know a hornet from a wasp from a yellow jacket so I googled and pulled up multiple comparisons......of which it seems no two agree.

The most common around here build those grey paper coned hive things...( often under eaves but maybe under the seat in your blind). Most call em yellow jackets and they sting, hurt and then annoying itch for a while. Something got me the other day on the back of my leg while mowing that was a whole other level . I have lots of thumb-width holes all over my yard and don't know what they are from...cicada's maybe??? I thought perhaps something more sinister might be lurking and that might be what got me. You know, I put redman on stings before and it never helped. Clorox did seem to help for a bit but this this felt like a fresh sting for hours.

I put a wive's tale to the test and painted ceilings sky blue to keep the yellow jackets from building nests. Darned if it hasn't worked...so far.

Same thing with ground squirrels, gophers and chipmunks, evidently. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
As a kid living on a farm we were always getting stung by wasps, yellow jackets, stings by white faced hornets were always painful. Mom would slice open a raw onion and rub it over the sting which stopped the pain and swelling.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I go t stung 23 times when i got in to a yellow jacket nest. Wife stuffed me full of benadryl. Only side effect was i laid down and fell asleep for 6 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If we got nailed when we were kids, there was a little moistened tobacco from a cigarette put on the site and it seemed to help.

Same here, that was always our remedy too. A dab of chewing tobacco, or just take a bite of cigarette, moisten it, and put it on the sting, and the pain was gone in no time. I have done that countless times.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I’d rather be stung by three wasps than one yellow jacket.

This. I hate yellow jackets this time of year. It never fails that they get me on the tractor when I'm cutting.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull

This. I hate yellow jackets this time of year. It never fails that they get me on the tractor when I'm cutting.

My late brother and I would have to bush hog our CRP ground every year, and his tractor was smaller and lower to the ground than mine was. He would always hit a nest and get stung, whereby they never seemed to bother me. I'd always laugh at him and he'd get mad. He could be a butthole, but I do miss him.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by devnull

Two words.

Cab

A/C

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have a type of yellow jacket here plus white-faced hornets that seem to be attracted to fish cleaning stations hereabouts. They of course get worse as the season progresses along. Our solution is a plastic milk jug with an open can of tuna in it sprinkled with comet cleanser. Cut small holes in it otherwise the whiskey-jacks try to get it. Works good

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not too sure about this...

But here's the index.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First time I ever saw a chart on stings/pain. Thanks.

added: I imagine it depends on how well you stand pain and whether you are allergic to stings or not. Me, I just swell a little at the sting site and it itches. Cuss a little, scratch it some, and go on about my business.

Last edited by Oldman03; 08/02/18.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn't see a bumblebee listed. I can personally attest that they hurt.......especially if you sit on one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
First time I ever saw a chart on stings/pain. Thanks.

added: I imagine it depends on how well you stand pain and whether you are allergic to stings or not. Me, I just swell a little at the sting site and it itches. Cuss a little, scratch it some, and go on about my business.

That chart doesn't include spiders, scorpions or centipedes.

Be more comprehensive if it did.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We must have 4 or 5 kinds of wasps here, most hurt like hell when stung...the white faced hornets are huge, but never been stung by one....but none of them feel like mosquitoes like Roy's.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Didn't see a bumblebee listed. I can personally attest that they hurt.......especially if you sit on one.

I didn't see a dirt dauber either. (Mud dauber).. The rarely sting humans, but I hear they are pretty bad.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I disturbed two wasp nests the other day, while blowing accumulated pine needles off the shed. One sting. I had a wasp killing.

Sam......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been put in the hospital by them a couple times, really got into a mess.

As a result I dont like ANY kind of bug on me, and I'd rather be locked into a phone booth with a couple rattlers than a couple hornets....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The most common around here build those grey paper coned hive things...( often under eaves but maybe under the seat in your blind). Most call em yellow jackets and they sting, hurt and then annoying itch for a while.

Sounds like you are talking about Guinea wasps. They make paper nests like Red wasps. They are smaller bodied than wasps, but more aggressive. Yellow Jackets nest in the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
The most common around here build those grey paper coned hive things...( often under eaves but maybe under the seat in your blind). Most call em yellow jackets and they sting, hurt and then annoying itch for a while.

Sounds like you are talking about Guinea wasps. They make paper nests like Red wasps. They are smaller bodied than wasps, but more aggressive. Yellow Jackets nest in the ground.

Once again.

There's lots of confusion about what is what... whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 57 invisible), 3,280 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.