Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Phristy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am a great deer hunter, so this year I will try it with a bow. But there are two things I need to know. The number 1 is what types of broadheads for deer are the best ones? (I know there will be different opinions) And number two where to shoot them? I've heard from behind, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
oh boy you may have opened a can of worms ? 2 kinds made expandables and fixed blades then after that whatever many bowhunters feel or think is best in those two types. I used a expendable for elk because shots can be longer,but for deer that`s your choice what type ,size ,kind,and brand you feel will work best. myself my bow shots are close for big deer in the thick areas I hunt, I may see a lot of deer but now at age 65 I now only hunt for bigger bucks 8pt or larger and sometimes I don`t get a shot at a big buck for a year or two but my shot will be always less than 30 yards ,I want a good blood trail,good penetration and decent accuracy so after using many different broadheads and killing a lot of deer in the past I went back to a old favorite broadhead Zwickey eskimo 2-blade with bleeders that I hand sharpen,i get very good blood trails and deer die quickly for me again.but you may decide you like another brand or type and that's ok too.have a safe great fall hunting,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 08/04/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Phristy
I am a great deer hunter, so this year I will try it with a bow. But there are two things I need to know. The number 1 is what types of broadheads for deer are the best ones? (I know there will be different opinions) And number two where to shoot them? I've heard from behind, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

Maybe youre a great deer hunter, but you cant be a great deer killer if you havent killed many with a bow. wink

Screwy article from someone more interested in drivel and money for it. Muzzy 100 gr 4 blade or Slick Trick.

Best place to shoot a deer -between the eyes or spine. No tracking, no running over snakes while tracking.

Most practicle is an arrow bisecting the center of the chest cavity.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/04/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Answer to question 1, yes
2, sure.

👍

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Steelforce here....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sharp ones...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
Sharp ones...

Bloody ones are better. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I have read, these folks make some outstanding broadheads.

https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/

(I use much cheaper heads. Silver strikes, mechanicals)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've killed quite a few with the bow. Had the most consistency with the plain 100 gr. Magnus. They may need more tuning work with the rest or arrow spine but never fail. They have an aluminum ferrule which will sometimes become bent but have lifetime warranty. Very sharp out of the pack and sharpen really well after use. Have killed up to 8 deer with the same head before a blade or ferrule got damaged enough for replacement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharp enough your eyes bleed when you look at them and just behind the onside shoulder about 1/3 of the way up the body are the best ones.

I shoot a Wasp Boss 125 grain and have complete penetration on all of the animals I have killed. Last 2 bucks were quartering away and neither made it 60 yards after the shot pouring blood the whole way.

They are pretty damn sharp from the package but I touch them up a little bit more and they are scary sharp.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the old Rocky Mountains

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Been using plain ole Thunderhead 100's for over 25yrs and counting with no reason what so ever to change. They have always done their part as long as I do mine and put it in the vitals. I aim behind the shoulder for the lower 1/3 of the deer.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fixed broad heads I like muzzy 100 grain . mechanical I like Hypodermics 100 grain lung shot whenever possible

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jackmountain

"Phristy" == YEP MIGHT BE A SCAMMER >>> BEWARE <<< FOR SURE A LIBERAL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Maybe youre a great deer hunter, but you cant be a great deer killer if you havent killed many with a bow. ;
What a load of shyt. I don't believe the Benoits bowhunt. If they do, they've been pretty darn quiet about it. Guess they ain't great deer killers, despite the fact they've probably killed more mature monsters than anyone here on these boards. Maybe more than anyone alive today. You ever see a pic of Larry Benoit's living room ? Big racks galore all over the walls. Don't recall that Daniel Boone ever hunted with a bow either, yet it's on record he killed over 2000 deer in one year. Reckon he mighta been pretty damn good at killing too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a rifle hunter and bow hunter for now over 50 some years who hunts in northern Minnesota where I compete with timber wolves for a big deer to harvest .I do believe being a bowhunter I did learn a little more than most rifle hunters which gives me advantage when I rifle hunt for deer ,as does handloading,custom rifles and lots of practice with my bow and rifle too.because of all these small things it does add up to plenty nice big deer and even a few bull elk too,my son gets the real advantage with what I have learned and taught him because he`s younger, healthy , in top notch shape , knows how use a bow,rifle and most of all a knife while I hold the leg.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ya may as well as Ford or Chevy while you're at it. Your going to get 13 different opinions for every dozen people you ask.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Phristy] Maybe youre a great deer hunter, but you cant be a great deer killer if you havent killed many with a bow. wink

Bowhunters are the best deer hunters. That is a self evident truth.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by sharp_things
[quote=Phristy] Maybe youre a great deer hunter, but you cant be a great deer killer if you havent killed many with a bow. wink

Bowhunters are the best deer hunters. That is a self evident truth.

Kinda like your boys the best at sucking dicks. Just joshing you 😉

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.