Print Thread
Hop To
#1303753 03/12/07
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Best to anneal brass before I form for a new calber, or after I do the forming.
Thanks Bill

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First off I dont anneal brass, I dont load anything with expensive or hard to get brass. If I did, anneal before forming to soften brass and after a few fireings again to bring back to soft.

Jamie

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jamie
First off I dont anneal brass, I dont load anything with expensive or hard to get brass. If I did, anneal before forming to soften brass and after a few fireings again to bring back to soft.

Jamie

I agree and I don't anneal, either. I form brass from new unfired brass, usually Winchester, and have never needed to anneal.

Jim

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
does any one anneal brass?
Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely. It's not worth it, of course on common calibers where brass is cheap. On cases where you've spent the time to trim, turn, work the flash holes, reform, fireform, after you paid $.60 a piece for Lapua........ Makes a lot of sense to anneal rather than replace every four or five firings.

I use Todd Kindler's tip, and a tempilstick (but I recommend using the Tempilaq). In about 10 minutes, I can do a batch of 50. No big deal. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did it once but super heated some parts of the cases and decided to never try that again. If the brass turns red you've gone too far and made things worse (it's not as easy to anneal that it makes it worth it to me).

i.e. - not worth it.

Spot

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do it all the time on 223 brass. Shoot it 4-5 times and anneal.
I have it down, such that I do it with a propane torch and get the neck just about red, at that point its getting hot in my fingers, I drop into a bucket of water. Can do many at that rate.
Never had an issue, don't use the templi sticks etc... though have in the past to test how I"m set up.
IMHO the finger test usually works fine. If I were a BR shooter I might be more anal, I just want to keep accuracy and prevent split necks on loaded and fired ammo.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jeff, I think I like your method better than the one I have used. I have been using a method offered by varmint-Al. using a candle and holding the brass in your fingers for aprox 6 seconds over the flame. When the potato is getting hot one quenches the brass in a damp rag while removing the soot.

Dad used to stand his brass up in a cake pan with approximately 3/4� of water, & heat with a propane torch until just showing a hint of a dull red color and tips the brass into the water, to quench. I think it helps to do this in dimly lit room to allow one to detect the earliest stages of the red glow.

I have been a little concerned about drawing the brass back too much so I went with varmint Al's recommendations initialy.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say that annealing depends on how much forming you are going to do. If you anneal first, and go too soft, you'll just ruin a mess of cases.
6BR down to 22, you don't need annealing...my guess is one caliber or two you should be fine. I would form 20, then fireform, and see if the necks crack AND/OR how well the shoulder forms up, then decide whether to anneal, and how aggressively to do so.
In regular use, I don't anneal until I split necks, then do the whole lot before the next go, culling whatever necks split that cycle. Then the next anneal will be one less cycle down the road.
I fabricated a spinner thingie out of brass plumbing fittings. It reveals to just below the shoulder. Chuck it in a cordless, set up the torch so your flame is above a sink of cold water. The thingie holds the brass loosely enough that you tip the drill and the case falls out.
I aim for the neck/shoulder point and watch closely, when the color starts to run, tip and ploop. I can rip through a couple hundred cases in an hour or so, I change the water when it reaches room temp.
I have been getting pretty good case life. I only partly size my necks and FL-bump the cases only when needed. As long as the pockets are good and I'm not getting the Ring of Death at the base, why not?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff pointed out correctly that you don't use the Tempilaq on every case. Just on a couple to get your timing right. For my setup, it takes about 7 seconds on a 223Rem case to anneal, but about 23 seconds for the 223WSSM case. The length of the case and the thickness of the brass make a pretty big difference. The tempilaq shows what is going on.

When doing long range stuff, I find that annealed cases have less velocity spread. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm getting ready to anneal another batch of 223 Remy tonight, I learned more in a fews minutes of reading this thread than many hours of continued trial and error would have allowed for, thanks for the good input guys, I'm making some changes in technique asap that should work much better and faster now. Wife's cake pan is going mia when I get home, brass needs a new swimming pool to cool off in. I sure enjoy this website and it's members, theres a combined lifetime of experience that gets shared in a pleasant and practical manner by so many that sure is helpfull to anyone in a particular stage of a learning curve, I for one sure appreciate it alot!

Last edited by TrophyHunter; 03/15/07.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been annealing case necks for years using the same method outlined at Varmint Al's using a propane torch in a dimly lit room.

My Case holding/spinning tool of choice is a Mechanics flex-finger retrieval tool, the four little jaws grip the rim securely, and it's easy to spin the cartridges without dropping them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dont' use a tool to hold because the brass cant' be hurt by heat if I'm holding it by my fingers. A HUGE and CHEAP safety net for me.

5 gallon bucket, pillow to sit on and lights out watching TV. Can do hundreds of rounds pretty quick. Adn if in a hurry to dry, stick in the oven at 150 or less a bit....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have just read two artcals that say anneal brass when its new
particulrly if your going to reform it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 890 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.