-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For light duty occasional use I love my Stihl cordless. Don't use it for long periods so I don't know how long the batteries would hold up. But for occasional short usage it seem like I hardly ever need to recharge. It's a plus not having to keep gas in it for extended time frames. It's about a year and a half old, been resharpened once and it does seem just too easy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
People really seem to like these 40V Black and Decker cordless chain saws. They come with the battery for $170.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...&hvtargid=pla-319503393011&psc=1

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher from Lowes back in 2006. Aside from replacing the bar, chain, and doing routine maintenance, she's still going strong. I only heat with firewood, and have cut literally hundreds of cords with it, from 36" across through stuff the size of a beer can, and everything in between, pine through locust wood. It's a good saw.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In my opinion, the best saw that you can buy from Lowes in that price range would be a Husqvarna 450 Rancher with an 20" bar (I took the stock 20" off and put an 18" bar on mine). I think it is usually $399 but you can get it on sale. It is a landowner saw (not a pro model) but is a very useful tool. I have a lot of saws and this is the one that I use the most.

With what your minimal needs are, you could get by with a Poulan in the $100 range but it will be less fun to operate. I really like the 450.

Last edited by Theeck; 08/07/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, you must use only non ethanol fuel.

If your Stihl Farm Boss, and that is a great saw, got fried by ethanol you can get it repaired for $200

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Regarding ethanol fuel, it doesn't hurt anything unless you leave it in there for long periods. If I am going to burn a couple of gallons in a day, I have never had a problem using fresh ethanol fuel. If you are going to let it sit in the saw or you use older fuel with ethanol, that is where you run into problems. I never leave equipment or vehicles to sit for long periods with ethanol. I have an ATV that rarely gets use and may only burn a tank of fuel per year. I learned my lesson to only use non-ethanol fuel in it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've got the Husky 435 18" bar and it's been a good saw for what I use it for

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We moved to an acreage a little over 1.5 years ago. I was on a budget but needed a chainsaw. I picked up a refurbished Poulan 4218A for $86 through Vminnovations. Soon thereafter I got a rebate voucher from them and picked up a Poulan PL3314 for $48.
After modding the mufflers and tuning the carbs both have started and ran perfect for us. The 4218A has 10+ tanks of fuel through it, the PL3314 around 8 tanks. Having said that, the PL3314 is down as the chain oil pump is out. I have a new one coming in the mail for $16.
I feel no matter what chainsaw you get, it is very important to run ethanol free gas. I run only Husqvarna/Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil at a 50:1 mix. I try to keep it as fresh as possible but will admit I just came in from bucking some ash and pine on last years gas with the 4218A and it ran great.
If I had $350 to spend on a chainsaw at Lowes, I would look at the Husqvarna 240. As others have said the proper safety equipment is a must.
Good luck in your decision.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 3 saws.......a 16 inch Husqvarna that came from Lowes, a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with 20 inch bar, and a 14 inch Jonsered. The Lowes saw has been used a lot, and it doesn't run to suit me anymore, so it doesn't get much use. The 455 Rancher is heavy, but it's the best choice when you have bigger stuff and is needed here on the farm. I use the Jonsered more than the others, because it's lighter and easier for an old man to handle.

The key to any of them is a sharp chain. I have 2 chains for each saw, and always have a sharpened one ready to put on. If somebody stole mine, and I had to replace them, I'd look at a Stihl first.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't know where all these guys are getting "non-ethanol" gas, because it is not around where I live. I use high octane in all my small 2 strokes and even my "hybrid" 4 strokes that use oil mix fuel. A logger friend told me that he always uses the highest octane he can get, and it turns out he's right. Everything starts and runs better with it and it seems to stay fresh longer. I'm a Stihl guy all the way, BTW.

Last edited by reivertom; 08/07/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Poulan saws.I think one thing that makes them great is they have a really good oiling system.I have the 20" Poulan saw and I'll tell you,it will flat cut right through those big,seasoned mesquite and live oak logs.That wood is hard and dry.If a saw doesn't have a good oiler,it will get hot,bog down and just quit cutting.My Poulan won't do that,it just keeps on cutting.It's easy to handle and a bit lighter than the higher priced saws and at around $200,it's a very good saw for the average user.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
I don't know where all these guys are getting "non-ethanol" gas, because it is not around where I live.

The local gas station here sells 87 octane with 10% ethanol, 87 octane ethanol free, and 91 octane ethanol free. I agree, highest octane seems to be the best.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I don't know where all these guys are getting "non-ethanol" gas, because it is not around where I live..

Go to the following site to see if there are ethanol free stations in your area.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been buying the pre-mix 95 octane 2 cycle gas for chainsaws. For the little I use it, a 32 oz. bottle goes a long way.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Pre-Mix-1-Quart-Pre-Blended-2-Cycle-Fuel/4650519?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-Lubricants-_-4650519:Husqvarna&CAWELAID=&kpid=4650519&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1650&k_clickID=0a6d1f75-352d-41b9-9319-972db36789b7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04DsmPbb3AIVColpCh3P1wglEAQYASABEgLmpPD_BwE

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I have a Lowe’s gift card for $350. The only thing I can think I need is a basic chainsaw for trimming around the house, and doing some clearing of hunting club roads from 6” diameter pines. I know nothing about chainsaws, but am restricted to picking up something from Lowe’s. What would you suggest? Also, what length bar would you get? Given the same engine size, does the bar length affect performance? For example, would a 16” bar work more efficiently than a 20” bar if both had the same size engine? Open to any and all feedback. I would probably be only using it 2-3 times per year.

Unless you are going to be cutting down and bucking decent sized trees consider skipping the chainsaw and getting a telescoping pole chainsaw....or getting a small cheaper chain saw AND a pole saw with your $350. You can cut down little trees with one as well as limb up trees to clear shooting lanes, cut up fallen dead limbs, etc. They are very handy. I know Lowes probably has some gas, electric, and battery powered models....I'd probably go with a gas powered version.

If you get a chain saw, I agree with Slumlord that something the size of a Stihl 170 with a 14 inch bar is a great all around saw. You could get something from Husky of similar size from Lowes.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/07/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
"Stihl or Husqvarna are probably the top two brands, btw."

I don't think so. There's a big local lawn service shop nearby and the only chainsaws they sell are Stihl and Echo. When I was looking for a new chainsaw I went to this shop and asked the owner which chainsaw he recommended. He said they're both excellent chainsaws but the Stihl saws are brought in much more often for warranty repair and parts are really hard to get. He said all his repair technicians prefer Echo chainsaws so I bought an Echo chainsaw and am happy with it. Husqvarna chainsaw are very cheaply built compared to Stihl and Echo.

F'n fan boy nitwit.
Stihl and Husky are the top brands. Period.

EVERYBODY makes stuff aimed at homeowners. Period.

Some of that is crap.
Husky's bottom line is Poulan, rebadged. No more, no less.
The cheap stuff, everyones, may have plastic crankcases. The better homeowner saws have aluminum, magnesium is in the pro-saws.
Echo makes some good stuff, especially in the top mounts.
Dolmar/Marita makes some excellent equipment.
No flies on Shindiawa either.
Tanaka, no experience.

I just get sick of people linking their self worth to their posessions.
Get a life. Going through the EPA mandated changes, everybody built some junk.
Look at how long Stihl made the 044/440 series. Then that saw went through several models quick.
Strato engines threw everyone for a loop.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/08/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know where all these guys are getting "non-ethanol" gas, because it is not around where I live. I use high octane in all my small 2 strokes and even my "hybrid" 4 strokes that use oil mix fuel. A logger friend told me that he always uses the highest octane he can get, and it turns out he's right. Everything starts and runs better with it and it seems to stay fresh longer. I'm a Stihl guy all the way, BTW.

If you look for it, you will probably find non-ethanol gas around. I used to think there was none by me. Here is a start: https://www.pure-gas.org/

As far as high octane gas, you are probably wasting money. It is probably true that high octane will hold up to storage a little bit better but it will not make a standard engine run any better assuming you are comparing it to fresh standard octane gas. In fact, if your octane rating is too high, you will get a slower burn and less efficiency from high octane in a standard engine. High octane is more resistant to combustion so it is needed in high compression engines so you don't get premature combustion in the compression stroke. A souped up, high compression engine like you would find in some sports cars and motorcycles will need higher octane. Your standard car or lawn equipment will not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do have a Stihl I inherited from my father-in-law with very little usage. Would make someone a good deal on it. Comes with the orange carrying case too.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy a Stihl, and stay away from Poulan,,,had nothing but problems. My 2 Echo's have been great, 5 year warranty.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think my husqbarna 345 was around that price from when I got it from Lowes. It's been a great saw...10 years with no issues. Has a 16in blade on it now but can take an 18in. All the bad weather we've had the past few years, has come in really handy around the house and clearing roads on the hunting land.

Last edited by killerv; 08/22/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 74 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,226
Posts18,485,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.