Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just got the latest "Rifle" magazine, which has some interesting articles as usual. One is on the Browning BLR, a rifle whose mechanism has always interested me. BUT (Mike's big butt), the second-to-last para of the article made me glad I still have a 99C in .243:

"With the rack and pinion action, rotating bolt head, disconnecting trigger, push-down hammer, etc, the BLR is not a simple action and should never be disassembled by amateurs, as it can even challenge experienced gunsmiths."

If I recall correctly, by 1970 when the revised, Belgian-manufactured version of the BLR came on the market, Savage had been making lever action rifles-- in America--that handled high pressure "modern" ctgs. like the .243, .308, .284, and .358 for some years. You could even have them with a "modern" detachable clip if you needed more firepower! (I never have, although I have switched clips to put 55 gr. .243 rounds in when I spied a songdog in the distance and decided I wasn't in the mood for draggin' a buck through the manzanita anyway....).

I always sort of wanted a BLR--the rotating bolt kinda fascinates me. But I DO NOT need another machine that needs to go back to the warranty center for ordinary repairs like getting all the season's weed seeds out of the works....my phone is already smarter than I am.

Savage has always made simple, sturdy, affordable rifles. They've made some failures, but not because they made them too complicated or expensive. I like that a lot. Keeping it simple isn't stupid.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Taking apart a BLR isn't exactly rocket science. The first time you will have to play with it a bit to get the bolt timing right, but after that its no worse than anything else.

The trigger's issue is really in the crispness of the disconnected design, but the trigger mechanism is easy to get at and clean etc. There are a few folks who can tune up a BLR trigger if you need.

My BLR predated the hammer safety, so I can't comment on how it affects things.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So is the BLR action anything like the Winchester 88? I've always been aware of the BLR but never found myself wanting to get "up close and personal" with one.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
RR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Nothing like they are totally different. But both a pain in the ass

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 34 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.