Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Does the toxin produced by GMO corn somehow disappear from the hfcs?

How do toxins that are poisonous to caterpillars not be poisonous to humans.

Why not get the tea unsweetened and add stevia rather than drink hfcs?

Stevia is an estrogen mimicker. Not a good idea to use too much of it if you're a man.

Yup. But in my case, having Lyme, theres been a back and forth over Stevia killing Borrelia. So a little extra estrogen might be good for me short term.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the biggest cause of heart disease is genetics. Same with diabetes. I’ve watched several family members die from both.

I figure one or the other will probably get me in the long run, so I just eat whatever to heck I want, and enjoy the heck out of it while I’m still alive. 🤠

I lost one of my best friends to a heart attack 7 years ago. He had never had a cigarette or a drink in his life. Worked out everyday of the week, and only ate the so called “healthy” food. He dropped dead of a heart attack at age 40.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/09/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NoCAL
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Fructose is not processed by the body like other sugars. It does not trigger the Krebs cycle which causes the release of a hormone that tells the body you have eaten enough. Without the trigger you continue to eat as though you were hungry.

No sugar sources enter the Krebs (tricarboxylic acid) cycle directly. The starting input to the Krebs is pyruvate which comes from breakdown of fats, protein, or sugars. Sucrose is metabolized to pyruvate by glycolosis and fructose is metabolized to pyruvate by fructolysis. The end molecule is the same and they all enter the Krebs Cycle regardless of the source. There may be some other places fructose can go directly, like glycogen but most is metabolized to pyruvate and goes into Krebs to produce energy.

NoCAL

The vast majority of fructose is converted in the liver to glycogen, which means it skips making the hormone signal that says you have eaten enough when the blood sugar rises.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

titer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
My son is a physician. I put the question to him once, and got a very long dissertation on how
different sugars are digested. The bottom line is this:

All sugars are not the same. There is a lot of propaganda put out by the high fructose corn syrup industry.
In fact, at one time they were running TV ads saying "sugar is sugar is sugar". It is not so.

Fructose gets converted directly into cholesterol. Glucose does not.

Fructose is not being converted directly into cholesterol, it is exported by the liver in VLDL particles which contain cholesterol.

an excess of fructose will go into lipogenesis - but so will an excess of glucose or whatever energy (calorie sources)
one consumes.

Where acetyl CoA comes from [for the synthesis of lipids] , be it from glucose or fructose
makes no difference.

Fructose needs to go through the liver for processing, whereas Glucose has the short cut to go in the periphery(muscle) as glucose
to be burned there. But ultimately it comes down to excess energy or not - .. excess energy (sugars, fats, proteins,) will be stored
as triglycerides in lipocytes.

Originally Posted by pahick

I guess the only natural sugar sub would be...honey?

I would prefer maple syrup if I was concerned about fructose.
MS has less overall sugar and less fructose.
MS sugars are primarily from sucrose, that your body breaks down to the simple sugars fructose and glucose
at a one-to-one ratio.
Honey sugars are largely from fructose with a bit from glucose and less again from sucrose.

high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), is an artificially manufactured disaccharide with only 55% fructose.

People need to know/identify what they are eating and how much they should reasonably consume accordingly.

One can stay away from corn syrup, honey, maple,table sugar, etc and still screw ones health up due to elevated tryglyceride levels
after consuming 'excess energy' derived from other types of calories.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The "toxin" in Bt corn IS only toxic to caterpillars. And then only certain species. Just like chocolate is toxic to dogs but not humans; the proteins in Bt corn are only toxic to Corn Rootworm and Corn Borers. Besides, HFCS is a purified carbohydrate. There is no protein or fat, so even if the Bt proteins were toxic to humans, they are not present in purified, processed end products. Finally, these proteins are digested completely in the human gut within 30 seconds by HCL and trypsin. Believe me, I've done the assay, there is nothing left of them after 30 seconds in stomach fluid.

NoCAL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman

Honey sugars are largely from fructose with a bit from glucose and less again from sucrose.

No. Honey is much closer to a 50/50 mixture of fructose and glucose. The exact ratio will vary depending on the nectar source. The nectar itself runs about 55% sucrose, 21% fructose, and 24% glucose (again this will vary). The bees add the enzyme invertase (aka sucrase, aka sucrose hydrolase) which breaks the sucrose down into glucose and fructose.

Generally speaking the more fructose the honey contains the longer it will go without crystallizing. High glucose honey crystallizes quickly (sometimes while still in the comb).

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whoa, thanks TRH

Mantitts Marvin cry

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Stevia is an estrogen mimicker. Not a good idea to use too much of it if you're a man.

I prefer monkfruit if I want a sweetener.....kind of hard to find and expensive though.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
My son is a physician....
....According to my son, table sugar is not all that bad for you, but anything high fructose should be enjoyed very sparingly.

HFCS is not necessarily worse than table sugar or honey.

HFCS and table sugar (sucrose) typically contain similar amounts of glucose and fructose.

HFCS-55 (55% fructose and 45% glucose) and HFCS 42 (42% fructose and 58% glucose)

glucose and fructose in table sugar are linked chemically, so table sugar needs digesting before absorption can occur.
Both table sugar and HFCS are absorbed into the blood stream as glucose and fructose, as such their subsequent metabolism
is identical.

Natural Fructose from whole fruit sources with low glycemic index , can be a good sugar source for those with diabetes.
but one needs to be careful which fruit they consume, for G.I. varies greatly between natural whole fruits.

There are subtle differences in the way different sugars affect blood glucose levels....Glucose and maltose will raise blood glucose levels
most rapidly of all the sugars and therefore increases insulin secretion. Whereas fructose will have the least effect on glucose and insulin,
but will raise triglyceride levels.

G.I. of various sugars, natural sugars and modified sugars........

110 Maltodextrin
105 Maltose
100 Dextrose
100 Glucose
70 Trehalose
68 HFCS-42
65 Sucrose
60 Caramel
60 Golden Syrup
60 Inverted Sugar
60 Refiners Syrup
58 HFCS-55
55 Blackstrap Molasses
54 Maple Syrup
50 Honey
50 Sorghum Syrup
45 Lactose
43 Cane Juice
42 Barley Malt Syrup
35 HSH Sugar Alcohol
35 Coconut Palm Sugar
35 Maltitol Sugar Alcohol
31 HFCS-90
25 Brown Rice Syrup
25 Fructose
25 Galactose
15 Agave Syrup
12 Xylitol Sugar Alcohol
5 Glycerol Sugar Alcohol
4 Sorbitol Sugar Alcohol
3 Lactitol Sugar Alcohol
2 Isomalt Sugar Alcohol
2 Mannitol Sugar Alcohol
1 Erythritol Sugar Alcohol
1 Yacon Syrup
1 Oligofructose
1 Inulin

========
G.I. of some fruits.....

20 cherries
25 grapefruit
38 apple
38 pear
41 strawberry
43 orange
53 grape
56 banana
66 pineapple
72 watermelon
103 dates

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

No. Honey is much closer to a 50/50 mixture of fructose and glucose. The exact ratio will vary depending on the nectar source.
The nectar itself runs about 55% sucrose, 21% fructose, and 24% glucose (again this will vary). The bees add the enzyme invertase
(aka sucrase, aka sucrose hydrolase) which breaks the sucrose down into glucose and fructose.

The bulk of consumers will purchase mainstream branded honey, which is typically a blend of various honeys
purposely formulated to achieve/deliver a certain and fairly consistent sweetness level.

Food companies are known to add sweeteners like corn syrup and glucose to honey labelled products.
and beekeepers also feed sugar or high-fructose corn syrup to their bees.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Corn, Cane or Beet, it's all sugar and you should limit how much you consume.

Once you get used to it, iced tea is pretty good unsweetened.

“No sugar tonight in my coffee. No sugar tonight in my tea!!”

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No. Honey is much closer to a 50/50 mixture of fructose and glucose. The exact ratio will vary depending on the nectar source.
The nectar itself runs about 55% sucrose, 21% fructose, and 24% glucose (again this will vary). The bees add the enzyme invertase
(aka sucrase, aka sucrose hydrolase) which breaks the sucrose down into glucose and fructose.

The bulk of consumers will purchase mainstream branded honey, which is typically a blend of various honeys
purposely formulated to achieve/deliver a certain and fairly consistent sweetness level.

Food companies are known to add sweeteners like corn syrup and glucose to honey labelled products.
and beekeepers also feed sugar or high-fructose corn syrup to their bees.

Honey is just as I described. Blending honey from different nectar sources doesn't significantly alter the sugar ratios.

Yes, adulterated products of all kinds exist on the store shelves. Adulterated honey almost always from foreign sources.

...beekeepers also feed sugar or high-fructose corn syrup to their bees.

No ethical beekeeper feeds their bees with honey supers on. I don't, and I am not acquainted with any beekeeper who does. Adulterating honey is endemic in many places overseas (China is notorious in that regard).

I am talking about pure honey, not pasteurized, adulterated products from some chain store.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am talking about pure honey, not pasteurized, adulterated products from some chain store.

most mainstream brand consumer supermarket shelf honey is adulterated in some way are they not?

If so they cannot be ignored...Some estimate 3/4 of the honey nation-wide on shelves is that kind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why isn't this discussion in that weed thread we had going? So those with sugar cravings would know which sugar they should be filling their cravings with.

And knowing they could go to the DG for a Mexican Coke. Those things rock, but the 7Up is better. Jarritos Tamarindo too.

Fresca was cool a long time ago, but I basically quit drinking that when they took the cyclamates out.

OP, don't do the math on your sodium uptake. If you eat processed foods you'll be amazed. Although the morning news today was saying the salt intake bad effects are a "J" shaped curve.........too little can screw you up too. I think there was some mumbo jumbo being spouted about doubling the amount "allowed" every day. Good thing for those that eat at MickeyD's or eat a bag of Doritos every day.

I'm doing my part right now to support our corn farmers..............having a bowl of popcorn. No butter............olive oil instead. And a tiny bit of "sea salt" (which is where most of the mined stuff came from a long time ago, a few millions of years for some of us.........maybe 4-6000 for some others of us). Microwaved in a special popper........................so it's probably got ALIEN radiation energy in it now. Oh Well!

Bread bad for you? Maybe good old white ass Wonder Bread, but probably not so much the nice multi grain multi flour bread the wife made last night. Them dang flour tortillas I eat almost every day are gonna get me tho.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good rant Geno!

We have one of them whirly gig poppers.

Hot plate with a big plastic dome over it. Little agitator spins around moving the kernels and oil about..

The kids and I sit and stare at it like the first time you saw a TV show. Always laughs and hollers when you find you put too many kernels on the hot plate.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good rant Geno!

We have one of them whirly gig poppers.

Hot plate with a big plastic dome over it. Little agitator spins around moving the kernels and oil about..

The kids and I sit and stare at it like the first time you saw a TV show. Always laughs and hollers when you find you put too many kernels on the hot plate.

laugh laugh

I can picture that, especially with kids.................maybe more especially with Big Kids!

Presto Power Pop here. No oil necessary. Cheap store brand popcorn, tastes better to me than Orville's.

Geno

PS for my after popcorn dessert I'm having some high fructose raisins and craisins. Organic raisins and regular craisins as I'm an equal opportunity farmer supporter (and I don't think Costco carries the organic craisins grin )

PPS I'm not sure about my Krebs cycle (I hadn't heard that term in 20+ years since I left University), but my digestive cycle will likely be on schedule in the AM. eek

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

most mainstream brand consumer supermarket shelf honey is adulterated in some way are they not?

If so they cannot be ignored...Some estimate 3/4 of the honey nation-wide on shelves is that kind.

Which is one reason why the only good honey is local raw honey.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Whoa, thanks TRH

Mantitts Marvin cry

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use it in my butterscotch 'shine recipe. Gives it a nice mouth feel.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, Akhutr, 79S, 12 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,505
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.