-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Back in in the day of 25 cent malts, 25 cent hamburgers, 25 cent gas, and 25 cent ‘fries, my friend and I were pumping 20 cal Sheridan’s when we weren’t on cheap dates and we were expert on ‘em, the cheap dates that is. Anyway, we had a Benjamin and a Sheridan that we taped flashlights to and started hunting the cold winter night for cottontails. Great fun and my great aunt could fry a great rabbit and turn her kitchen into whirling waves of grey smoke at the same time — they turned out great.

A couple times we were admitted into the society of the knights — the older HS kids— of the dump where the rats came out like waves of soldier at night. Just after dusk, the piles of trash became alive with a slithering, uncoordinated mass of long-tailed dark fur. It could have been grist for a horror movie to keep Jr high kids awake a week.

Finally, I want pellet gun again but not one of the plastic 8-9 lb blunderbusses. My eye goes to the slim Ben model 392 that looks like the old Sheridan pump gun and is a .22. A .22 at ~ 700 fps should suffice. This would be for blackbirds, cottontails, etc.

What would the choir suggest? And thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

What would the choir suggest? And thanks.

HUH???

Are you wanting for someone to talk you out of it?
As much fun as I had as a kid, shooting pellet guns, I don't think I could ever go back to a pumper after shooting a PCP....and I don't think I could ever go back to a .22 for killing critters after using a .25.....after shooting one that's "QUIET" I've never been happy with any that are loud....be careful about stepping into the world of modern air rifles, it can get quite spendy REAL QUICK....stick with what you know or be prepared to empty your wallet.

BUT....if I wanted to go "one and done" I'd go with a Benjamin Marauder in .25 along with a Neil Claque LDC and a hand pump...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 08/12/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
As much fun as I had as a kid, shooting pellet guns, I don't think I could ever go back to a pumper after shooting a PCP....and I don't think I could ever go back to a .22 for killing critters after using a .25.....after shooting one that's "QUIET" I've never been happy with any that are loud....be careful about stepping into the world of modern air rifles, it can get quite spendy REAL QUICK....stick with what you know or be prepared to empty your wallet.

BUT....if I wanted to go "one and done" I'd go with a Benjamin Marauder in .25 along with a Neil Claque LDC and a hand pump...

Agree with both the PCP and the 25 caliber Marauder, though mine is a 22 caliber. I went with the darned expensive high pressure air tank route and have no regrets, I shoot more than I ever did with a pump.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 08/14/18.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 392 uses the same design as the Sheridan, but with a slightly chunkier stock. Nice rifle though.

Only reason I don’t shoot my Blue Streak more is because I’ve grown fond of hitting stuff dead center and it’s much easier for me with a scope.

My 6 pound $50 plastic pawn shop Crosman NP 22 does the trick for a scoped plinker and does it with a little more smackdown that the old Sheridan. Pellets are cheaper too....and I go through them a lot faster with a break barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.