-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've been wanting to get in this particular river since I first started metal detecting but the drive is rather long. I was finally able to find the time and we ended up having a great day on the water. I was proud of my little 4hp motor too. It got us back up river (2 miles) to the boat ramp without issue. Hope you enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwCEz8SeN4&t=1s

Last edited by deerhuntinghippie; 08/14/18.

Follow my Facebook page: Zach Byrd Adventure Hour
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here a few images for those that can't watch the video.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FIFY grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
don't believe (to me) it is worth catching cholera or dysentery or a brain eating amoeba...all for rusty ass 1974 mazda rotary engine flywheel

just sayin

but if that sort of thing cranks your tractor...party on-

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by slumlord
don't believe (to me) it is worth catching cholera or dysentery or a brain eating amoeba...all for rusty ass 1974 mazda rotary engine flywheel

just sayin

I've been in creeks and rivers since I was a squirt and rarely get sick. But thanks for letting me know what the rusty mystery item is grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol

I can't say much, I'll wander a plowed field for 4 hours for one arrowhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A neat endeavor with a high degree of unknown. One never knows what he will find. Saw some videos on magnet fishing a while back (mostly European) and that too looked like a great way to spend some idle time.

Not much of a germaphobe, so I'd be willing to wade in with you.

Do keep us up on you findings and good luck,

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 1minute
A neat endeavor with a high degree of unknown. One never knows what he will find. Saw some videos on magnet fishing a while back (mostly European) and that too looked like a great way to spend some idle time.

Not much of a germaphobe, so I'd be willing to wade in with you.

Do keep us up on you findings and good luck,

Yeah. It's very underrated. Gives me something to do no matter the time of year.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Neat, but I’m not gettin in that water.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What river?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
You may know of this story already.

I used to live in Milledgeville Georgia. This town was the capitol of Georgia during the War. Sherman came through the town and stayed two night, for some reason, he did not burn the town.

So, they had, of course, in November 1864, the :State Armory there in Milledgeville. Hood having left Sherman, to head up towards Nashville, there was no army to oppose Sherman as he neared the capitol.
So they decided to dump all the munitions in the State Armory into the Oconee River.

So, one day, might have been 1990, I was crossing the river bridge, there was some kind of scuba diving operation down there in the river. There was an RV parked there and a few cars, I could see guys diving in the river. Which was weird because the river was 10 feet deep and visibility about 8 inches.

So I went down and talked to the guys, they had read the reports from the war and they realized that there were about 400 cannon balls there in the river, dumped there the day before Sherman arrived. And these were worth $400 each and they were going to try to get them all.
The guy showed me one of the cannon balls, it was not round it was a pointed projectile maybe 3 inch diameter and 5 inches long. They had dozens of them already and were still diving.

That was a pretty interesting history lesson, they had also found some nice flint arrowheads.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
You may know of this story already.

I used to live in Milledgeville Georgia. This town was the capitol of Georgia during the War. Sherman came through the town and stayed two night, for some reason, he did not burn the town.

So, they had, of course, in November 1864, the :State Armory there in Milledgeville. Hood having left Sherman, to head up towards Nashville, there was no army to oppose Sherman as he neared the capitol.
So they decided to dump all the munitions in the State Armory into the Oconee River.

So, one day, might have been 1990, I was crossing the river bridge, there was some kind of scuba diving operation down there in the river. There was an RV parked there and a few cars, I could see guys diving in the river. Which was weird because the river was 10 feet deep and visibility about 8 inches.

So I went down and talked to the guys, they had read the reports from the war and they realized that there were about 400 cannon balls there in the river, dumped there the day before Sherman arrived. And these were worth $400 each and they were going to try to get them all.
The guy showed me one of the cannon balls, it was not round it was a pointed projectile maybe 3 inch diameter and 5 inches long. They had dozens of them already and were still diving.

That was a pretty interesting history lesson, they had also found some nice flint arrowheads.

I've never heard that story but it is very interesting indeed.
Sounds like they were finding parrot shells but it's hard to say. We found one last winter on land completely intact. It was a major rush. We have a video of that day too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,157
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.