Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Why spend money to shoot something you can shoot at home ? I just don't get it. If I were going to spend a bunch of money to shoot something it damn sure wouldn't be whitetails. I've got plenty of them right out the back door here.

We're all very proud for you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dont mind a trophy fee, but not a fan of paying by the inch. I prefer the trophy fee to be all inclusive.

I'm with you Tom. No paying by the inch for me either.

Let me begin by saying that I'm a landowner and been ranching my whole life, and have friends who are outfitters/in the hunting business.

However, I personally I think it should be illegal to charge "by the inch", by allowing or doing this it's basically condoning that the landowner "owns" the deer, which in TX is not the case. The deer belong to the state of Texas, and its that way in most states as far as I know. Just because the deer may reside on your property does not mean you own that animal.
Basically the cost of a hunt here is nothing more than a trespass fee to hunt that piece of property, with additions of lodging and meals of course added if wanted.

I'm all for capitalism and everyone's right to make $. If a rancher/outfitter has big deer on his place and wants to charge $10,000 or whatever for a hunt on his place, then more power to him! Someone will pay it. But it should be $10,000 regardless if the deer taken scores 100" or 225"+. Because again, by the law, they do not own that animal, only the land that the animal happened to be on at that time. When charging by the inch its basically putting a price on a particular animals head just like a cow, sheep, goat, etc, etc.

Just my .02 and not everyone may not agree.

Bill

Bill, agreed - right there with you.

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Why spend money to shoot something you can shoot at home ? I just don't get it. If I were going to spend a bunch of money to shoot something it damn sure wouldn't be whitetails. I've got plenty of them right out the back door here.

Did you see me talkin to you azzhole ? I didn't think so. GFY.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There's much you don't "get".

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]

How the fugg would you know ? You don't know shyt from shinola. Just think you do you smug little prick.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If it's a guided hunt, ask them if they will go by whatever guide calls the deer in the stand. You may come out ahead or behind a little but there won't be any big surprises. I'm not a fan of pay by the inch either and this has worked for me a few times. Most outfitters are pretty reasonable and will work with you given the opportunity.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm no fan of the pay by the inch operations, like others here have expressed. There is however, a difference between X$ per inch type hunts and a set Z$ more if the animal is above Y inches long or wide.

I too prefer the all inclusive trophy fees but I have shot a few critters that I had to pay more for because they were bigger than a particular number. Not a big deal really as long as you're aware of it up front and it is a set additional price and not a sliding scale.

I would be interested to hear what this "additional cost" info is all about. If it is a sliding scale, I would avoid this outfit.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

[Linked Image]

How the fugg would you know ? You don't know shyt from shinola. Just think you do you smug little prick.

You are the classic keyboard commando....

I don't think I've ever read a single thing you've ever posted that wasn't bitching, whining, or just being a plain dick. Have you?

Prove me wrong, dare ya...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

some people don't get it....bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dont mind a trophy fee, but not a fan of paying by the inch. I prefer the trophy fee to be all inclusive.

I'm with you Tom. No paying by the inch for me either.

Let me begin by saying that I'm a landowner and been ranching my whole life, and have friends who are outfitters/in the hunting business.

However, I personally I think it should be illegal to charge "by the inch", by allowing or doing this it's basically condoning that the landowner "owns" the deer, which in TX is not the case. The deer belong to the state of Texas, and its that way in most states as far as I know. Just because the deer may reside on your property does not mean you own that animal.
Basically the cost of a hunt here is nothing more than a trespass fee to hunt that piece of property, with additions of lodging and meals of course added if wanted.

I'm all for capitalism and everyone's right to make $. If a rancher/outfitter has big deer on his place and wants to charge $10,000 or whatever for a hunt on his place, then more power to him! Someone will pay it. But it should be $10,000 regardless if the deer taken scores 100" or 225"+. Because again, by the law, they do not own that animal, only the land that the animal happened to be on at that time. When charging by the inch its basically putting a price on a particular animals head just like a cow, sheep, goat, etc, etc.

Just my .02 and not everyone may not agree.

Bill

Bill, agreed - right there with you.

good posts.....great attitude bill...….bob

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
2500 bucks to shoot fuggin deer ? Holy shyt it'd be a cold day in hades before I'd pay that for any deer. Crypes it ain't like they're scarce or somethin.

I'm with you on that. I like big antlers, but ain't willing to pay a bunch of money to hang a set on the wall. I would, however, be willing to pay for a quality hunting experience on good ground, and to stay in a nice place with good food and pleasant surroundings. That's what the place I mentioned offers and for a lot less than $2500. The "guides" take you to your stand and dress and track wounded deer if required. I wouldn't want to hunt only like that, as I enjoy poking around in the woods by myself and all doing the scouting, dressing and dragging too, but one thing this place offers that's hard to find on public ground here is a good chance at nice, if not huge deer, and freedom from wandering goobers messing up your spot. The only thing missing is the opportunity to wander around in the woods, something generally also missing when hunting farm country on your own.
Gosh I've been thinkin on retiring to WV but if there ain't any good hunting for free on public land I ain't so interested. We've got shytloads of public land here. Many thousands of acres of it in every direction of the compass within 15 minutes of my house. It ain't easy hunting. Rugged terrain and lots of competition. You ain't likely to shoot a Booner but it's free and you can roam for miles and you can kill bucks every year if you know what you're doing.

Don't misunderstand, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of hunting land here, but much of it is farther than I want to travel now, and some of it is pretty tough sledding when you're North of 65. Where I usually hunt is an easy drive of less than half an hour, and so I can go on the spur of the moment and put in a couple hours without mounting a major expedition. If it starts raining like Hell, I can be out of the woods in short order and hit it the next good day. Weekends early in the season, there's a fair number of hunters around, but weekdays and later on they thin out, but so do the deer, which can travel a short distance and be on private land where they aren't hunted. I bought a crossbow this Spring and expect to have a lot more days afield with fewer hunters around, and most of the deer I shoot with a rifle are in range for an arrow anyway. There are also some areas that are restricted to archery and Booners are to be had there, and a couple of muzzleloader-only areas where bucks run above average, but they require road time I'm not willing to put in often. Once the archery/crossbow season opens the 29th of September, I'll be able to hunt straight through to the end of the year, and then four more days in January with my sidelock percussion rifle. If I were able to fill all the tags I can buy, I can take about 15 deer, give or take a couple. Anyone that puts in the time and effort can do very well here.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
I can tell you from a guides perspective, I don’t like “pay be the inch either”. If I mess up and the buck turns out to be 147 instead of 143 or 144, it may cost the guy another $500-$600. Some folks save for a long time just to come on a guided hunt and just want a nice deer, they don’t want an additional $500 tacked on. On the opposite side of the coin, some guys have deep pockets and a couple grand is chump change. I guided a guy a couple years ago that wanted a deer over 150 - OK by me, so we found a good one that went just over 160 ( cost him an extra grand). That evening he came up to me and yelled “that was the best thousand dollars I’ve ever spent”. Personally, I hunt the TX Panhandle and pay a lease of $200 and shoot whatever I want!

$200! You make me SICK! wink

Yeah, made me sick too when the price went up!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in 2000, I did a guided 6 day hunt for Mule Deer in Montana. Between Broadus & Miles City on a private Ranch that was just under 100,000 acres. I think it was $1700 total for which included accommodations & food and a guaranteed Landowners deer tag & Hunting License. Also got to shoot hundreds of Prairie Dogs and shot several Pheasants, and grouse.
The Mule Deer I shot scored 187 with a broken main beam. He was missing 6 or 7 inches from the end of the right main beam. My buddy killed a Mule Deer on that same hunt that scored 164. Best $1700 I ever spent IMO. No trophy fees either.
Part of the fun for me was hunting that beautiful Big Sky Country. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. But I bet that same hunt nowadays would be $3500 or more.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perkins Outfittes? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Paying 2500.00 might be better than what I’m doing. 2000.00 for lease+200.00 for electricity+ 800.00 for corn+ 400.00 for fuel-groceries on the weekends I drive up to put corn out+ probably 800.00 spent on the weekends I hunt. Go one weekend and be done with it.

I'd find a new place to hunt. Holy sh it.

You could fly up here to scout for a weekend. Fly home. Fly back up and hunt for a week, and still be out less money. And we have real deer here. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
2500 bucks to shoot fuggin deer ? Holy shyt it'd be a cold day in hades before I'd pay that for any deer. Crypes it ain't like they're scarce or somethin.

I'm with you on that. I like big antlers, but ain't willing to pay a bunch of money to hang a set on the wall. I would, however, be willing to pay for a quality hunting experience on good ground, and to stay in a nice place with good food and pleasant surroundings. That's what the place I mentioned offers and for a lot less than $2500. The "guides" take you to your stand and dress and track wounded deer if required. I wouldn't want to hunt only like that, as I enjoy poking around in the woods by myself and all doing the scouting, dressing and dragging too, but one thing this place offers that's hard to find on public ground here is a good chance at nice, if not huge deer, and freedom from wandering goobers messing up your spot. The only thing missing is the opportunity to wander around in the woods, something generally also missing when hunting farm country on your own.
Gosh I've been thinkin on retiring to WV but if there ain't any good hunting for free on public land I ain't so interested. We've got shytloads of public land here. Many thousands of acres of it in every direction of the compass within 15 minutes of my house. It ain't easy hunting. Rugged terrain and lots of competition. You ain't likely to shoot a Booner but it's free and you can roam for miles and you can kill bucks every year if you know what you're doing.

Don't misunderstand, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of hunting land here, but much of it is farther than I want to travel now, and some of it is pretty tough sledding when you're North of 65. Where I usually hunt is an easy drive of less than half an hour, and so I can go on the spur of the moment and put in a couple hours without mounting a major expedition. If it starts raining like Hell, I can be out of the woods in short order and hit it the next good day. Weekends early in the season, there's a fair number of hunters around, but weekdays and later on they thin out, but so do the deer, which can travel a short distance and be on private land where they aren't hunted. I bought a crossbow this Spring and expect to have a lot more days afield with fewer hunters around, and most of the deer I shoot with a rifle are in range for an arrow anyway. There are also some areas that are restricted to archery and Booners are to be had there, and a couple of muzzleloader-only areas where bucks run above average, but they require road time I'm not willing to put in often. Once the archery/crossbow season opens the 29th of September, I'll be able to hunt straight through to the end of the year, and then four more days in January with my sidelock percussion rifle. If I were able to fill all the tags I can buy, I can take about 15 deer, give or take a couple. Anyone that puts in the time and effort can do very well here.
Sounds good to me. The more I learn about WV the better it sounds. Can't believe how cheap houses are there compared to here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing my ex ever did for me was getting me to move here. Second best was becoming my ex.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have no issue with incremental fees. If the hunt value is there then is to my benefit to have some protection if not much happens during my hunt. Say 50% for the hunt opportunity, 25% if a shot opportunity on a mature animal and 25% upon drawing blood, harvest or not. I think of some Canadian bighorn hunts were harvest rates are very low due to what qualifies as a legal ram. Some moose hunts are similar where finding a moose with the required number of points can be hit or miss.

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been looking online for some hunts, and the trophy fees / penalties keep me from actually booking a trip. I actually would hate to drop $2500 bucks and come home empty handed but on the other side of that coin I think I would actually hate myself if I had to pay an additional $1000 or $1500 dollars for a trophy fee, and if it comes down to the last day of the hunt, I am not paying a penalty for shooting what whatever state that I am in, says is a legal deer. Sorry Mr. Guide or Mr. Landowner, I am gonna have to make payments on that balance.

A big whitetail buck would be nice, but 3500 to 5000 K for a whitetail, nope! Y'all can keep your deer and your land, I am good, as I am sure somebody if going to pay the price you ask for. You can't eat the horns!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,012
Posts18,500,284
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.