Print Thread
Hop To
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Of the 10mm semis that are offered today, which ones have a fully supported chamber?

Which one or two do you think is of superior build quality?

Which one are you running now?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Budget?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m running a G20 and a G40. Both use aftermarket KKM barrels for better case support and also to allow the regular use of cast bullets. These both carry great and fully loaded, they are much lighter than the 4” 629 I carried in the field for ages. Plus with 15 + 1 rounds on tap they can handle a lot of issues real quick. Granted, the 10mm is less powerful than the 44 Mag I was carrying, but I didn’t really run full power 44 loads anyway. The medium 44 handloads I was running (240-255 gr cast at 1050-1100 out of the 4”) and near full power 10mm (180 at 1250+) are actually fairly close in energy.

Mark in GA

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I believe that the Colt DELTA is the only one with a non-ramped barrel... Other 1911s, EAAs, SIGs all have support to a higher degree.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Get a G20 and aftermarket barrel. I own or have shot the G29, G20, G40, Kimber 1911, STI 2011, SW1076, Dan Wesson Bobtail, and Delta. I tried and still try to like the 1911's for a lot of reasons, thought the STI 2011 would be the best compromise between a 1911 and hi-cap, couldn't believe how heavy the 1076 was, and had reliability issues with the Bobtail. I keep coming back the the G20. It's the lightest of the bunch despite carrying the most rounds and is by far the most pleasant to shoot.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Landrum
Of the 10mm semis that are offered today, which ones have a fully supported chamber?

None of them. They are semi-autos, and all have a feed ramp. The only "fully supported chamber" you'll find in a 10mm handgun is in a revolver or single shot pistol.

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
OK, Yondering. Fully supported to the point of the extractor groove. But I think most knew what I was talking about.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
None of them are fully supported to the extractor groove either. I don't think you realize what you're asking for?

I know what you're trying to ask for, but the point is, all semi-auto barrels are unsupported to some degree, just some are better than others. You could ask which have the best support, or which have enough support. "Fully supported" is a term that often gets thrown around, especially in 10mm discussions, but it's false advertising and causes some confusion for those who don't really understand it.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/15/18.
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I want to know which manufacturer (not after market barrels) has the best track record with regard to not having bulging or blown 10mm cases. I've read the articles for years about Delta Elites and others and the problem may be exaggerated somewhat; or perhaps it isn't. But I do believe that the potential for a nasty experience is higher with those barrels that offer less structural support around the case. So, who is putting out the safest 10mm these days at least in regards to not having a nasty surprise when you pull the trigger?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lipsey's I think is running a 10mm Wiley Clap GP100 with a 3 inch barrel, takes mooners. If I were to carry a revolver, and not counting the S&W unicorn, I'd take a good look at that. Springfield has recently put out a five and six inch TRP with and without a RMR. Barrels are ramped and the RMR one really has my attention.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Landrum
I want to know which manufacturer (not after market barrels) has the best track record with regard to not having bulging or blown 10mm cases. ... So, who is putting out the safest 10mm these days at least in regards to not having a nasty surprise when you pull the trigger?

I think that's going to be hard to get a straight answer on, unless you go out and compare a bunch of brands yourself by dropping an empty case in the chamber and comparing support. You'll get too many opinions online IMO that are just people recommending what they bought because they think their decision must be best.

I won't try to guess which factory barrels have the best support, but can say that in the Glock models, the newer guns have much better support than older generations. I believe (from what I've seen) this started happening during the gen3 era, so as an easy dividing line, any of the gen4 guns should have pretty good case support and the examples I've seen are actually better than some of the aftermarket barrel options and certainly better than some of the older 1911 barrels I've worked with.

I'd guess some of the newer high end 1911 models should have pretty good support too though, as full power 10mm loads have become a lot more popular in the past 10 years or so.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tried a G20, a case blew out just above the base on the first magazine I shot through it. That was with a Lone Wolf 6" barrel, and Double Tap ammo. Switched to a Clock 6" barrel, and had no more problems. Sold it, because I just couldn't get myself to "trust" it after that. Now have a stainless EAA Witness, and just bought another used Witness - blued - this morning. The EAA's are much heavier than the Clock, and feel very solid. Haven't shot mine much yet, but I feel much more confident with either of them. I have a Sig 220 in .45 ACP, and I'm planning to get one in 10mm, as I like the gun a lot.

Mike Holmes

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Landrum, I went with a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 10mm, it has a ramped [more support] barrel and is an all stainless steel 5" government sized pistol, I chose it over the DW Valor because I had a credit at my gunsmiths, he put a really nice custom front strap checkering job on it for me, also, the Razorback doesn't come with night sights, I knew I'd probably have to switch those out for ones that shot to point of aim with whatever handload I wound up finding that the gun liked, and sure enough, I wound up ordering a set of Trijicon night sights from the DW site for about 80 bucks shipped for both, the front site is a bit taller than the one that came on the gun.

I took 200 gr XPT's to a full 1241 fps average in new Starline brass with Longshot powder, no smileys, no bulges, and brass landed in a nice neat circle about 10' off my right shoulder, I have since loaded all the rest of the new brass down to 1200 fps, if for no other reason that if 1200 wont do it, 1241 wont either, just building a little confidence in the pistol and brass early on, I carried that pistol today, and it's sitting on this desk beside me as I type this, 11 rounds of 200 gr XTP's in new 10 round Tripp mags is plenty comforting, a couple spare mage will ride comfortably in a hip jeans pocket all day.

A fine pistol for 1350 bucks, that I put as far as fit, tightness, and accuracy, right up there with my Les Baer 1911 45 ACP.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been running a G29 for close to 20 years. It is my CCW and constant companion. I have NO idea on round count. But it's a LOT. I have never had issue one with case bulge or failure. Never failed to feed, fire or eject. Never EVER.

The gun is bone stock, save for a 3 1/2 lb trigger kit. When I bought the kit, the guy (a Glock armorer) wanted to know if I wanted him to install it and clean/inspect the gun...…..for free. Heck yes. I told him it was filthy. He said he had seen the worst...…….until he took mine apart. When he had finished, he said that he had NEVER seen one as dirty as mine was. Yet it was still running like a Swiss (Austrian) watch...………….

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I tried a G20, a case blew out just above the base on the first magazine I shot through it. That was with a Lone Wolf 6" barrel ...

“FWIW in my research prior to buying a Glock in 10mm, I found several Kabooms that came from Lone Wolf barrels not Glock barrels.” https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nformation-and-input-wanted#Post13059216

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Glock 29 is a late model and the chamber seems very well supported and has never bulged the brass

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My c hoice for the last 30 years is a Smith & Wesson 3rd generation 1006/1076 or recently a 1/2 dozen of the current production Sig Sauer P220R5 10mm's.

Leave your TUPPERWARE in the cupboard where it belongs!

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got an EAA Witness, never had any squirrelly looking brass from it. I like that it’s an all steel gun for that particular round.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.