Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
We will be going to Dauphin Island to stay a few days in September. I was wondering if y’all would be kind enough to recommend some good gun shops in the Mobile area to check out? What are some good seafood restaurants to eat at? Are there any great steak houses to eat at for my wife? She loves a great steak. Are there any good restaurants on Dauphin Island to eat at (it doesn't matter what kind of food)? That would be great to have some places close to eat at when we are tired or for lunch. Is there anything else that is really cool to see? Thanks for the help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mobile Gun Shops aren't that great in my opinion. Mobile Shooting Center is probably the best. At times they can have some good used stuff. A bud of mine lives close to it.
He said they just bought an 80+ gun collection with some rare guns in it. It's been forever since I lived there, so I can't recommend a good steak joint. Dauphin Island has kind of a cool vibe. While the coastline and beaches to the east are ultra modern and covered with hi-rise condos, Dauphin Island has seen little development. It is much as I remember it as a child. There are a few fair size condo developments. The restaurants on the island are worth a try. I have had good meals in most of them, and I have has some that were mediocre.

Visit the Dauphin Island Sea Lab while you are there. Are y'all just taking a vacation? Where are you staying?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drive on over to Pensacola & have dinner at Maguires; best steak in the area, period, actually some of the best anywhere, good wine & the ceiling is covered with dollar bills...............around 2 million of them.

Ask to be seated in the wine cellar room, it's neat & quaint.

Prolly want to see the aviation museum there too.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ask the local folks - hotel people etc. .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Drive on over to Pensacola & have dinner at Maguires; best steak in the area, period, actually some of the best anywhere, good wine & the ceiling is covered with dollar bills...............around 2 million of them.

MM

MM, would that be McGuire’s Irish Pub?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Mobile Gun Shops aren't that great in my opinion. Mobile Shooting Center is probably the best. At times they can have some good used stuff. A bud of mine lives close to it.
He said they just bought an 80+ gun collection with some rare guns in it. It's been forever since I lived there, so I can't recommend a good steak joint. Dauphin Island has kind of a cool vibe. While the coastline and beaches to the east are ultra modern and covered with hi-rise condos, Dauphin Island has seen little development. It is much as I remember it as a child. There are a few fair size condo developments. The restaurants on the island are worth a try. I have had good meals in most of them, and I have has some that were mediocre.

Visit the Dauphin Island Sea Lab while you are there. Are y'all just taking a vacation? Where are you staying?

I bought a Beretta from them about 10 years ago. The owners daughter is a gun toting dark haired beauty that was worth the trip.

I'd say that's about the only gun shop I'm aware of - I know of a place on Schillinger that's kind of a Spec Ops wannabe - I stay away from those types, and another on Government but that part of town just isn't all that great.

Its been awhile for me too but if I'm going out to Dauphin Island, I stop at the Mariner Restaurant on Dog River and get the fried crab claws.

I'd also stop at one of the many seafood markets in Mobile, grab about 20 pounds of boiled crawfish and another 5 pounds of shrimp, some corn and potatoes. Forget about the steak. Get what is good for that area.

Last edited by KFWA; 08/19/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to be there all the time as a kid. I dug up tons of cannonballs, bullets, and other stuff from the Civil war from Ft Gains, Spanish Fort, Sea Cliff, and Ft Morgan. I did this with grandpa and cousins.

I got a couple of nice jugs from there and the light house.

My old childhood friend owns Gold Mine Pawn Shop in Daphne.

There are tons of options for food, even good stuff on the Causeway.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/19/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What did you do with the tons of stuff?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some has been donated to museums, some dispersed to family, a bunch of my stuff was stolen when I had an emergency pcs, still have some. I even know where two brass cannons are in the Mobile Delta.

I’ll post a picture of a curious jug this evening, never seen another like it. It has a bunch (2 columns) of initials on it like some kinda crew or something. I think this jug came from just inside the mouth of Fish River.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Reason I asked is that I dug up and found beau coup Civil War stuff from Port Hudson when I was a kid. Among it was a derringer, buttons, belt buckles, miniballs maxi balls, a clay pipe with a mans face carved in it, wedding ring, 2cannonballs, eyeglasses, pocket watch, medicinal equipment in a rotted pouch.,, a bunch. A buddy and I also dug into the side of a hill and damned near fell into a den of rattlesnakes when part of the dirt gave way and caved in. Will never forget that sight and sound.

Grandson has it now.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The original oyster house on 90? Has great seafood.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, we youngins dug up lots of that kinda stuff, including bottles, coins, rings, watches, skulls, and bones. Lots of unorthodox weaponry too like cannon balls with chains and such. I’ve unearthed a bunch of french and spanish stuff also. I think I might even have the world’s oldest Bacardi bottle. You’d go to prison for that now. I can trace all of my worldwide pilfering to those days with grandpa. I’ve found a lot of stuff over the years. Even dug up a precolumbian mummified baby in a clay pot in central america with gold figurines inside.

Here is the jug, anybody know of such things let me know.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A fellow that doesn’t enjoy holding history in his hand,,,,,,what can you say?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

MM, would that be McGuire’s Irish Pub?

Yes.

Not really a "pub" in the normal sense. It's a pretty good sized, top shelf restaurant. right near where the bridge is that goes over to Gulf Breeze & the beach.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a terrific steakhouse called Jesse's across the bay from Dauphin Island in Magnolia Springs. No need to go any further period.

Ride the ferry over and explore the Fort Morgan peninsula. We dug up tons of old stuff out there when we were youngin's. Sold that junk to a crazy dude in a Datsun B210. I swear his name was Johnny.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks everybody for the recommendations. We are staying in a friends house on Dauphin Island. It will be my first time there but my wife was born in Mobile. Her father worked at the Brookley Field Depot until it closed down. So it will be neat to see where she lived. We are looking forward too. Thanks again for the help.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 66 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,437
Posts18,507,689
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.