Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13083447 08/25/18
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
With the price of broad heads being what it is, I really do not like having to write off 15-20 dollars every time I shoot a deer. I sharpen them and reuse if the blades are not bent. Some are pretty easy to sharpen. Some are a PITA. I went looking for a stone that fit the job better and tried the medium crock stick out of a Spyderco Sharpmaker. They're triangular, At about 3/8 inch across the flats it is pretty easy with the crock stick alone, no holder block, toget it at a proper angle onto the blade with the blades still mounted in the head on mechanicals.

I shoot a lot of deer with a crossbow. The bow drives an almost 500 grain arrow through Bambi every time and then it goes into the ground which is densely compacted sand here. That guarantees a thoroughly dull head every time. I use both COC fixed heads an mechanicals. Some of the fixed heads are the right angle that they sharpen fast on a stone. The mechs all are a PITA. For $10 shipped I got the crock stick replacement for the sharpmaker set andit's pretty damn good, I have tried a lot of different stones and so far it's way better than anything else. They're available on ebay.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try a Lansky sharpener, if you want shaving sharp broadheads.
It wont work on all heads but works great on Magnus, Slick Trick, Exodous, Iron Will and others.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
KME makes a sharpener that works well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montec's and a piece of glass with 600 wet/dry, and they're like new....just spin test before hunting with them.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by bigwoods
KME makes a sharpener that works well.

The Stay Sharp jig is great! I bring mine with to the barber shop and sharpen my broadheads on their stones while I wait.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tweed, that sounds like a good time at the barber. (killing 2 birds with one stone as it were) Do you have a link for that sharpening guide?

Last edited by sharp_things; 09/05/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Tweed, that sounds like a good time at the barber. (killing 2 birds with one stone as it were) Do you have a link for that sharpening guide?

I don't have the link to the product but there is this instructional video that was created by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Tweed; 09/05/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Spamming the site....nice. Stay Sharp is a cheap plastic knock off of the KME 3d printed by Sharp Things.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sharp_things

TFF!!.... what a douche

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Spamming the site....nice. Stay Sharp is a cheap plastic knock off of the KME 3d printed by Sharp Things.

^^^This. Buyer beware. I not surprised that Tweedy is pimping Ron's plastic junk.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang Jim......I read that as tweed pumping Ron's junk. Had to do a double take!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_wi

^^^This. Buyer beware. I not surprised that Tweedy is pimping Ron's plastic junk.

Tweedy (& a couple of others) is/are Klueless !

Known it since April & the crossbow season thread debacle.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tweed, thanks for the heads up on a great broadhead sharpener. Great thread. Are you attending the WBH broadhead shoot this weekend? There will be plenty of dull broadheads in need of honing.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Nope.... I'm my own person but I do agree with you...the crossbow season is a debacle. However....I'm sure both bow hunters and crossbow hunters will need to sharpen their broadheads in the coming weeks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe I DID read that right! Lmao

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tweed
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Nope.... I'm my own person but I do agree with you...the crossbow season is a debacle. However....I'm sure both bow hunters and crossbow hunters will need to sharpen their broadheads in the coming weeks.

Actually, the crossbow season is fine as it is, as was decided by those that make those decisions.

The debacle I was referring to, was the shambles the thread was turned into, by those that don't get to make informed decisions, in regards to the season !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This. Buyer beware. I not surprised that Tweedy is pumping Ron's junk.
Maybe I DID read that right! Lmao

LOL!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The topic of broadhead sharpeners is an interesting one. Tweed brought up the Stay Sharp Broadheads Sharpening guide. It seems to be a very low cost and effective tool to get broadheads razor sharp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You paying Rick to advertise your plastic knock off of the KME sharpner? Been reading a lot of posts on it not working, failing and of course, you being too much of an azz to support.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tweed, that video you posted from Stay Sharp Broadhead Sharpening Guide was interesting. It turns out that youtube channel has a ton of other videos showing the sharpening of a lot of different heads using the Stay Sharp Broadhead Sharpening Guide which includes a guide for iron will broadheads and fixed and well as replaceable blade heads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,721
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.