-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The elephant in the room is these are not normal times.

These trees are sick, sick bad, the beetles have killed them.

We can either let them go to waste, breath in and pollute and rot.

Or perhaps push for some type of economic gain by harvesting this resource before it goes up in Smoke.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It seems to me we've reached a place in time in America where the people who truly know how stuff works (in almost any field) are being forced to comply with laws and regulations made by people who do NOT know how the stuff works. Whether it's forestry, conservation/game laws, medicine, or anything else.

The average American is scientifically illiterate. He/she has watched "nature" shows on TV since childhood, has absorbed simplistic and often dead-wrong ideas from these sourced, and now considers himself/herself "informed", and as such, worthy of making policy. It is utterly ridiculous. But the plain fact of it is that unless and until governments stop kowtowing to these scientific illiterates and let the experts run their business, the mismanagement will continue. The fires are gonna happen. I'd sure like to see that change for the better, though.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the problem, issue, or challenge comes when applying scientific mgnt to the natural resources intersects or interferes with the rights of humans to choose.

that is, science is one thing. humans making choices might contradict good scientific mgnt options?

that means democracy comes into play. republic choices aren't fixing anything.

just raising insurance rates of various kinds would have an impact.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the problems with all of these forests is over stocking, too many trees per acre. In the way backs low level frequent fires kept down both the litter acculiminations and the number of surviving seedlings. With lower stocking rates, when a drought hit, and there have always been droughts, there was more soil moisture so the trees that were there didn't get so stressed. Less stress equals less pine bark bug damage and fewer dead trees. The put it all out mentality of the last 75 yrs coupled with a pseudo science idiocy of many of the environmental wackos have left all of our forests, especially in the west, in bad shape.

Big fires burning wildly are the result.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
It seems to me we've reached a place in time in America where the people who truly know how stuff works (in almost any field) are being forced to comply with laws and regulations made by people who do NOT know how the stuff works. Whether it's forestry, conservation/game laws, medicine, or anything else.

The average American is scientifically illiterate. He/she has watched "nature" shows on TV since childhood, has absorbed simplistic and often dead-wrong ideas from these sourced, and now considers himself/herself "informed", and as such, worthy of making policy. It is utterly ridiculous. But the plain fact of it is that unless and until governments stop kowtowing to these scientific illiterates and let the experts run their business, the mismanagement will continue. The fires are gonna happen. I'd sure like to see that change for the better, though.
So much truth in this post!! So much...

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bobmn
Godog: If your house was destroyed by a "prescribed burn" that the U.S. Forest Circus started in weather conditions (low humidity and high winds) that no fire warden would approve for a permit requested by private citizen and let get out of hand, your opinion of fire as a management tool might be different. The operative word there is MANAGED. What percentage of forest fires have resulted in prescribed burns that turned into raging infernos?

A tiny number of prescribed burns in the Rocky Mountains have ever gotten out of control--Los Alamos being the shining example. The dilemma natural resource managers face is people building homes/cabins in or near wildlands, and often near wildlands with frequent fire regimes. Most prescribed burns are done under such wet conditions these days that rarely does the fire actually burn enough to have the intended effect.

If one chooses to build in or near public lands, then they should understand there will be a fire some day, and it might burn their place down. Natural or prescribed.

Currently 70% of the USFS budget is "burned" up fighting fires to protect people's homes and cabins and their desire to play some yuppie version of Jeremiah Johnson. These are often the same free, rugged, individualists who think government should stay out of their lives--until there is a wildland fire. Then they are cheering the tax payer employed fire fighters on........

Burn baby burn.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks--but the article appeared in Sports Afield.

Many people get F&S, SA and Outdoor Life confused. Around 15 years ago I was in Sacramento to attend the national Mule Deer Foundation convention, talking with a well-known writer I'd known since the 1980's. While we were talking, the writer was approached by a guy who said he'd really liked one of the writer's recent articles in Sports Afield.

The writer thanked him, but said he'd written for Outdoor Life his entire career. The reader started arguing him, eventually saying he knew damn well the article appeared in Sports Afield, and he could prove it.

The writer took a $100 bill out of his wallet and tore it in half. He offered one half to the guy, saying, "If you can bring me a copy of Sports Afield with one of my articles in it, I'll give you the other half." The guy walked off mad--but didn't take the writer up on his offer.

That article you wrote for penthouse forums was top notch.. or was it for handloader regardless great article..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like an article that just might describe hand-filling of various kinds!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 79S

That article you wrote for penthouse forums was top notch.. or was it for handloader regardless great article..

This forum needs a like button....... Rick, whats it gonna take??????? I thought it was in Martha Stewart Living.......

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regardless of the benefit to hunters, the real problem is the danger of both the fires and the smoke to humans. Logging benefited wildlife, rural economies, and the nation as a whole, the religious belief that it had to be ended is the real issue here. You are not allowed to burn your land and endanger your neighbors or government managed lands, why should government be able to burn private lands by not managing their fires? It is possible to stop the horrific burning taking place now,, and it must be stopped. No hunting opportunity is worth a family losing its home, or the fear we rural people endure each summer in this age of insensitive management.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.