Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I think the 6 creed may fade. May. Or just might end up like the 6mm Rem - not much factory ammo, but still some followers.

The 6.5 is here to stay. Wayyyyy too many good rifles across all price points, with shelf ammo to feed em.

Don't bet too heavily on the 6 Creed not making it...

The bottom line: Hornady...

They know how to make'em; they know how to sell'em.

They listen... wink

DF

Concur. In fact, I suspect it's just getting warmed up.

Should be an interesting look back when hanco resurrects this thread 10 years from now. laugh

The Creed has a pretty good push from the PRS and like shooting sports. Lots of "hunters" shoot no more than to check scope and kill something. "Shooters", who may be hunters as well, burn a lot of ammo and that will keep a round afloat.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Depends on the length of the magazine box. The .243 works fine with any bullets in a 3" magazine, and ordinary bullets in a "standard 2.85" magazine.

The 6mm Creedmoor works with any bullet in a 2.85" magazine--like the one in the Model 7.

You took the words right out of my mouth JB. Basically the reason for the Creedmoor cartridges.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I think the 6 creed may fade. May. Or just might end up like the 6mm Rem - not much factory ammo, but still some followers.

The 6.5 is here to stay. Wayyyyy too many good rifles across all price points, with shelf ammo to feed em.

Don't bet too heavily on the 6 Creed not making it...

The bottom line: Hornady...

They know how to make'em; they know how to sell'em.

They listen... wink

DF

Concur. In fact, I suspect it's just getting warmed up.

Should be an interesting look back when hanco resurrects this thread 10 years from now. laugh

The Creed has a pretty good push from the PRS and like shooting sports. Lots of "hunters" shoot no more than to check scope and kill something. "Shooters", who may be hunters as well, burn a lot of ammo and that will keep a round afloat.

Yep, shooters shoot a lot more than hunters.

Seems I read somewhere that there are now more shooters than hunters. Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's gotten so expensive to hunt, find a lease, etc. Just going to the range is a LOT more affordable for the average guy (or gal)

Gotta be P.C., don't ya know... grin

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/29/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^What he said...

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Depends on the length of the magazine box. The .243 works fine with any bullets in a 3" magazine, and ordinary bullets in a "standard 2.85" magazine.

The 6mm Creedmoor works with any bullet in a 2.85" magazine--like the one in the Model 7.

I am puzzled!

I have in front of me the SAAMI chambering reamer and cartridge dimension drawings of the 243 Win and the 6mm CM. The reamer drawings show bolt face to end of throat dimensions of 2.259in for the 243, and 2.2488in for the 6mm CM. A whole 0.010in difference! Both chambers have a throat angle (is that the right term?) of 1° 30’.

So how is it that the 6mm CM will work through a 2.85in magazine with any bullets (presumably including heavy VLD types) while the 243Win requires a 3.0in magazine? Do the rifle manufacturers and reamer makers ignore SAAMI specs and make the 243 throat much longer and/or the 6mm CM throat much shorter? Or is it a case of the 6mm CM being loaded with a lot more bullet jump to the rifling?

Same sort of questions apply to a comparison of the 6.5mm CM and the 260 Rem. I have often seen it claimed that the 6.5mm CM can be loaded with heavy, match type bullets almost touching the rifling, and stay under 2.80in overall length, with the bullet not intruding into the powder space. Something just doesn’t add up here.

Please don’t start jumping all over me and accusing me of being a Creedmoor hater, because I am nothing of the sort. I am right now getting a 6mm CM made for me. I expect it to perform well – but I do NOT expect it to perform miracles!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Firstly,Seven's are NO where near 2.85" in COAL latitude...nor are 600's,700's or any of the ilk. 2.815",is getting rather crowded in an OEM box,of the genre(I've LOTS of them). Hint.

Here is an Alpha Virgin 224 Kreedmire,next to an Alpha Virgin 260 Rem. That case length difference,equates to a gratis magbox "extension",when talking Big Green OEM confines. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I've got (3) 243 Kreedmire's,all of which bolster farrrrrrr more forgiving throat/COAL latitude,than mainstay 243Win OEM SALAMI's,from Big Green and the rest. The latest(Ruger RAPER 243 Kreedmire),smooches 105 Hornie HPBT's square,at 2.730" COAL. You SURE as fhuqk ain't gonna coinnect that many dots,with as much Land Chasin' room in an OEM 243Win,wearing Big Green-esque COAL latitude. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then of course,RPM enters the equation,as there are a buncha otherwise sound 243Win SALAMI's,wearing Goat Fhuqk twist rates...where there is no such thang in 243 Kreedmire(or close). Hint.

Aligning twist,throat and COAL latitude is far from being a "Miracle",though it is SURE as fhuqk how you connect dots and NOTHING does it better than Kreedmire(s),whether in .224,.243 or .264 and I'm prolly guilty of shooting them all and then some. Them Facts is reliably the most unsettling,to THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks,which never ain't not funny. Kreedmire Initial Thought,leaves windows of opportunity WIDE fhuqking open,that crushes 50yr old ++ offerings,swooned by The Clueless. Hint.

As a "worst" case in Kreedmire,one can rock the issued RPM and Throat,then go AICS DBM to add copious COAL latitude,as projectiles change and BC's grow...making boolits longer.

1000 Words for The Droolers.

[Linked Image]

Easy for me to say,as I've shot/got it all and then some. It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Stick,

Think you can talk Jim at Northland Supply to start stocking 22 Creedmoor Remage barrels?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Could Stick get a translator or an editor?

I know there is some good information in there I just can't read it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy to grasp.
Thanks Larry.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
David',

I plea that case with every call,along with the High RPM 22BR(no -turn) and keeping a stash of 8" 7-08 SALAMI's on hand. Unfortunately,Joe Average is as Clueless as the fhuqking typical Texan and that drives supply/demand a smidge. The 224 Kreedmire will certainly be adopted and become a mainstay,but is a ways out yet. On a .473" Donor,it's an easy default,that connects all dots,with ZERO bullschit.

Nice to drive Alpha 224 Kreedmire positive headspaced Virgins,to form 22-250 AI formed cases...as the amount of brass moved is minimal,start to finish. POS fhuqking Krieger 1-7.7" here,with loaded Virgins and formed O/F case.

[Linked Image]

The Kreedmire is a superior Mouse Trap and Alpha is without peer.

[Linked Image]

88 ELD's at 3250fps ala 22" 3-grooved 1-8" 224 Kreedmire and .090" freebore,assuredly do not suck. The AICS DBM ain't requisite,but on a Mid to Heavyweight,I rather like the approach and it makes toting extry rounds handy. A 250yd zero is rather forgiving and 108.5 MOA remaining on the erector,do not suck. 40 MOA on the windshield itself,will cover a wee bit of Real Estate and the platform as a whole,is rather fhuqking forgiving. The Blasse' Bitch is a fhuqking HAMMMER!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll build a coupla more of 'em. One on a Montucky contour dupe with shortened shank at 22" and another A5 PIG.

Killer chambering.

Hint..................(grin)

TeWhineo,

ONLY a fhuqking Texan could become confused,by crystal clear verbage and Splendid Pixels. Congratulations?!? Laughing!

Now you be SURE to cite any/all words that were "too big" or "too Technical" and I'll happily take the nano second requisite,to rub your nose further in your fhuqking Incredible STUPIDITY. Hint. Laughing!

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess...if only because I simply shoot it all and then some. Hint.

243 Kreedmire/105 fourth from left of frame and just "happens" to be the rifle 4th from top. It may or may not be 700 based. Laughing! You STUPID Fhuqks are a hoot!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt...while sparing no "details".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.......................

'down,

Only the STUPIDITY,is bigger in Texas. The only thing she "shoots",is her mouth and Imagination!

Bless her heart.

Laughing!............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the length of the magazine box. The .243 works fine with any bullets in a 3" magazine, and ordinary bullets in a "standard 2.85" magazine. .

Any feeding issues with a 243 on a 700 long action?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Orion2000
.243 ... Your non-reloading grand children will thank you...

Are you implying that the creed craze is a fad?

I think so too!

I'm gonna give it another 50 years and see how they shake out. .30-06 Sprg has passed the century mark. .270 Win is approaching the century mark. .308 Win and .243 Win both have more than 60 years in. All of these cartridges are still readily available, rifles and cartridges, in most LGS's.

If the Creedmoors are still readily available in most LGS's in another 50 years (60 years in), I'll concede that they are not a fad... smile

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ky221
.243 ... Your non-reloading grand children will thank you...

Are you implying that the creed craze is a fad?

I think so too!

I'm gonna give it another 50 years and see how they shake out. .30-06 Sprg has passed the century mark. .270 Win is approaching the century mark. .308 Win and .243 Win both have more than 60 years in. All of these cartridges are still readily available, rifles and cartridges, in most LGS's.

If the Creedmoors are still readily available in most LGS's in another 50 years (60 years in), I'll concede that they are not a fad... smile

You still have a vcr don’t you?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One interesting little factoid I discovered while doing an article on cartridge popularity a couple years ago is that very few modern cartridges that increase in popularity in the first decade after their introduction go out of style.

One exception would be the .222 Remington, which became extremely popular during the decade after it was introduced in 1950. But then the 5.56 was adopted by the U.S. military in 1964, and became the .223 Remington. At that point the abundant, cheap military brass made the .223 the standard chambering in that slot.

But new cartridges that increased in popularity for a decade have stuck around, with many even becoming standard chamberings in rifles made around the world. Aside from the .223, these include the .22-250, .243, .270, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2007. It's now a standard chambering not just in many American rifles but in Europe as well. And a friend who owns a big sporting goods store in South Africa reports that at least 3/4 of the bolt-action sporters he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors. Not bad for a "fad."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One interesting little factoid I discovered while doing an article on cartridge popularity a couple years ago is that very few modern cartridges that increase in popularity in the first decade after their introduction go out of style.

One exception would be the .222 Remington, which became extremely popular during the decade after it was introduced in 1950. But then the 5.56 was adopted by the U.S. military in 1964, and became the .223 Remington. At that point the abundant, cheap military brass made the .223 the standard chambering in that slot.

But new cartridges that increased in popularity for a decade have stuck around, with many even becoming standard chamberings in rifles made around the world. Aside from the .223, these include the .22-250, .243, .270, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Winchester Magnum.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2007. It's now a standard chambering not just in many American rifles but in Europe as well. And a friend who owns a big sporting goods store in South Africa reports that at least 3/4 of the bolt-action sporters he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors. Not bad for a "fad."

Sir, given that you referenced 3 of the 4 cartridges I referenced (.243, .270, .30-06) we are on the same page. If the 6.5 Creed is still as popular in 50 years as the aforementioned cartridges, then no fad. However, there are a lot of unknown and unknowable things that could happen in the next 50 years as well. As you noted with the .222 Rem, what if the U.S. military chooses a new 6.5 Creed AI +P chambering and suddenly floods the market with cheap brass and milsurp cartridges ? If we're both still here in 50 years, and the Creedmoors are still as popular as the four cartridges I mentioned, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice !

No shade on the efficacy of the CM cartridges. However, to the OP's original question, I am officially admitting to being "old school". My 6mm Nosler Partitions will continue to be launched out of rifles chambered .243 Win. They just work.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
May I ad this to what M.D. posted,does not matter if its better or just a fad this 6.5 CREEDMOOR its here to stay. better or not here are some examples 243 win. is not a better 6 mm than a 6 mm Remington but sales show and proved 243 was no.1,270 win verses 280 Rem. ?,222 Rem. verse 223 Rem.? list can go on and on popularity and sales wins not ballistics or accuracy, even take the 6.5 bullet everyone wants a 6.5Creedmoor the 6.5x284 is faster has more power with same bullet has won way more 1000 yard matches over the years but yet everyone still wants a Creedmoor so rifle manufactures advertised and sell the hack out these new miracle Creedmoor rifles and it does kinda have a neat name" Creedmoor" so its a winner,who knows maybe the Rocky movies with the name of one boxer named Creedmoor help make it famous? I even sell some Creedmoors and make a few more bucks selling Creedmoors too, I even mark Creedmoor rifles a little higher and customers they still buy `em and its funny ! nobody needs to get nasty on what cartridge or rifle each person prefers,heck I still like a 257 Weatherby mag. for deer and a 220 swift or my AR-10 243 win for coyote callin or when runnin dogs all work fine,these cartridges I use does put meat in my freezer and /or does get me fur to sell just fine. Also to be honest in the winter when we have these winter money shoots 100-500 yards the little 6 BR wins a lot more than a Creedmore and the 6BR doesn`t have a fancy name either .good luck this fall ,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 09/01/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pete, I'm betting your wife doesn't let you speak at home.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
To be clear, I am happy that firearms manufacturers, ammo manufacturers, and firearms dealers are making good money on the current 6.5 Creedmoor frenzy. A healthy financially viable firearms industry is beneficial to everyone on this site.

However, the OP's original request was regarding the 6.0mm Creedmoor. NOT the 6.5mm Creedmoor. Less than 15 minutes at the keyboard:

> Midway ammunition availability for .243 @ 39 versus 6 CM @ 5.
> Whittaker's Bolt Rifle availability for .243 @ 99 versus 6 CM @ 3.
> Bud's Bolt Rifle availability for .243 @ 241 versus 6 CM @ 27
> GB Bolt Rifle availability for .243 @ 1,070 versus 6 CM @104

Yes, the 6.5CM is currently very popular. But, to the OP's question, the 6CM, currently not so much. At least not yet. Time will tell... Nuff said...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Orion2000,

The U.S, military has already decided to convert to the 6.5 Creedmoor from the .308 for some purposes. SOCom ran some tests and found the Creedmoor worked better for sniping, so there'll probably be military brass available in the not too distant future.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What are you all comparing ? 6 Creed to fast twist .243 or 6.5 Creed to a .308?? some one please make up my mind. Rio7

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (406_SBC, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 17 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.