-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
On 30 August 1943, Essex-class aircraft carrier USS Hornet CV-12 was launched at Newport News Shipbuilidng, Newport News, VA, sponsored by Annie Reid Knox.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hull was laid down August 3 1942
One year from start to sailing. Nowdays the Navy couldn't build a raft in one year.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Hull was laid down August 3 1942
One year from start to sailing. Nowdays the Navy couldn't build a raft in one year.

Launched does not necessarily mean finished. They may had a lot of fitting out left to do after it left dry dock.

But they sure did operate at a great place during the war. Ships and planes are a lot more complex today though.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very impressive.

Kaiser and the Liberty ships is another great accomplishment in the naval industry.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were turning out a new Essex-class carrier every month back then.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is this the same ship which is now at the dock in Alameda?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
CV-12 "replaced" or kept the name going from CV-8, which took Doolittle's B-25's for the Toyko raid. CV-8 was sunk at the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Very impressive.

Kaiser and the Liberty ships is another great accomplishment in the naval industry.

A friend's father was in the merchant marine during the war out of Seattle. He said sometimes during a run to Alaska while standing watch he'd do a sweep around the convoy and when he started another sweep a ship was missing. The water temp change sometimes broke the welds on the Liberty ships and they go down in less than a minute.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a work-mate who commanded the Hornet for a short time. Stan graduated from the USNA in 1939, was a gunnery officer on the USS Indianapolis until he sailed from Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941 for naval flight school, participated in several aerial battles in the Pacific and landed at a Japanese naval airfield following Japan's surrender to accept the field's surrender. He had a number of interesting stories about the war. Stan died three years ago at 100. He was an officer and a gentleman in the truest sense!

Obituary - See: http://johnmtaylor.tributes.com/dignitymemorial/obituary/Stanley-Eugene-Hindman-103088464

Last edited by djs; 08/31/18.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by djs
I had a work-mate who commanded the Hornet for a short time. Stan graduated from the USNA in 1939, was a gunnery officer on the USS Indianapolis until he sailed from Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941 for naval flight school, participated in several aerial battles in the Pacific and landed at a Japanese naval airfield following Japan's surrender to accept the field's surrender. He had a number of interesting stories about the war. Stan died three years ago at 100. He was an officer and a gentleman in the truest sense!

Obituary - See: http://johnmtaylor.tributes.com/dignitymemorial/obituary/Stanley-Eugene-Hindman-103088464

RIP CDR Hindman,
and Thank you .

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 08/31/18.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Very impressive.

A friend's father was in the merchant marine during the war out of Seattle. He said sometimes during a run to Alaska while standing watch he'd do a sweep around the convoy and when he started another sweep a ship was missing. The water temp change sometimes broke the welds on the Liberty ships and they go down in less than a minute.

Very interesting. I can't imagine how much stress must have been built into some of them.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Brittle steel, that was the reason the Titanic went down. The welds probably didn’t fail, plate cracked beside the weld. Rebar is very brittle, dangerous to make anything weight bearing from it. That’s all just a guess. Titanic was built with rivets.

Last edited by hanco; 08/31/18.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My great grandfather Whitside died in an industrial accident while working in the hull of a liberty ship. He worked in the shipyards near Beaumont-Port Arthur- Orange area. I’ve been told he was welding and there was an explosion... that’s all I know.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Is this the same ship which is now at the dock in Alameda?

Yes. Now docked in my home town at the old navel air station.
They have quite a few scout groups do sleep over tours.
Went to high school right next door to the base.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That’s what I thought. It’s really neat to go see if any of you guys find yourselves trapped in that area. In fact, it’s about the only decent thing around there I could find.

Last edited by pabucktail; 08/31/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by djs

RIP CDR Hindman,
and Thank you .

amen! and accompanied with a salute of respect...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,732
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.