Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You folks?

I just shot one of the dang things, I shot a Glock too but that doesn't make me a Glock guy either.

Look here we have one guy saying they can go off by simply reholstering and you saying you can't quite squeeze it all the way.

Be thankful Gaston came to your rescue.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TWR
PS There’s a world of difference between the non-pressurized grip safety on a 1911 and the front strap cocking device on the P7, which is always exerting pressure (around 15 pounds of pressure) to return to the uncocked position.

I take it you've never held the pistol in question much less shot one.

You folks my be getting the wrong idea, due to super sensitivity. I actually think they're very high in cool factor.

I remember back in the early 1990s when I was working at a small gun shop. We had a bunch of them come in, police trade ins, from (I think) Germany. We were selling them real cheap, and they were in great shape, other than external wear. I was always sorry I didn't pick one up for that price.

And, yes, I messed around with them a bit, and in doing so came to the conclusion that the chance of that thing unintentionally decocking because of a compromised hand was just too great to ever think of carrying one.

I can see a European police department issuing them, though

No sensitivity, but when you state that the front strap is "always exerting pressure (around 15 pounds of pressure) to return to the uncocked position", it outs you as having little to no first hand experience with the P7. Fact is it takes less than 2 pounds to keep the front strap in the firing position. (It's the magic of mechanical advantage, kinda like a compound bow) If you "came to the conclusion that the chance of that thing unintentionally decocking because of a compromised hand was just too great to ever think of carrying one" then you should also leave your Glock at home, you'd never be able to pull a Glock trigger in that circumstance.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The 15# and 2# matches my understanding, but I never measured anything about them.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When you get comments on how hard it is to hold when you ar bleeding vs how easy it is to hold that you get shot when holstering the gun just shows how the most information seems to come from people who know the least...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given all the stuff available today, I really can't think of a single reason to warrant needing to carry a P7 other than pure nostalgia.

MM

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Given all the stuff available today, I really can't think of a single reason to warrant needing to carry a P7 other than pure nostalgia.

MM

This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

I’m sure you would say the same about a 30-30...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can think whatever you want.

But I can tell you that I do still have a 32 Win.............................

Didn't say the P7 didn't work; just said there's no reason to warrant carrying one, given the other choices today....................unless you just have a special spot for it in your heart, & there's nothing wrong with that.

But, it has no intrinsic magic & it surely is not "better" in a single way that I can think of.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason they were adopted world wide is the safety aspect. If your not squeezing the grip it ain’t cocked and it’s not going to fire.
When you cock the pistol it has a very lite trigger pull, that along with the fixed barrel make them very accurate. The gas piston also reduces recoil.
The cost of manufacturing was the reason they were discontinued. Only downside is it’s a single stack, low capacity pistol. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

MM

This.

say the same thing about a 1911 and you're a hater...

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You can think whatever you want.

But I can tell you that I do still have a 32 Win.............................

Didn't say the P7 didn't work; just said there's no reason to warrant carrying one, given the other choices today....................unless you just have a special spot for it in your heart, & there's nothing wrong with that.

But, it has no intrinsic magic & it surely is not "better" in a single way that I can think of.

MM

I'm of the same opinion, although I've only owned two of them. I'd heard so much hype about how great they were, I bought one blued and one hard chromed (much like the picture above). They were nice guns, but the hype turned out to be mostly that IMO. Accuracy of either gun, while decent, wasn't all that special and not better than most modern semi-autos, and the "wonderful trigger" some go on about was just kind of blah; not heavy but they had plenty of creep with no good way to eliminate it. Lots of sheet metal parts in those guns too.

I also noticed the velocity they delivered was pretty mediocre; both of my examples were noticeably slower with the same ammo than a subcompact G26. Between that, the weight, and the limited capacity, they're still a cool nostalgia gun but far from my first choice for any time I might need a pistol.

For looks though, I sure do like the form and proportions of the P7, and they always felt good in my hand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For the most part, I like metal guns better than plastic. And the P7 is one cool shootin iron. But I like Berettas and old Smiths and Walthers and Colts and K9’s too.

Plasti-guns lack a certain je ne sais quoi, even if they’re a reliable tool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like old(er) guns as well, hell, I just plain like guns.

Some I like more & have more use for than others & there's nothing wrong with nostalgia either..........just recognize it for what it is.

MM

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a P7 that I would sell for $1500.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the world I live in here, a LOT of guns change hands. However, you rarely if ever see one of these come up for sale. I have only heard of 2 in the last couple years. One I saw personally at LGS that was pretty scratched up, but still priced at $1500 and I believe sold on Gunbroker. The other was a nice one I heard about from a pawn shop owner I bought a nice old Smith Combat Masterpiece from who bought ir for $700 and quickly turned it around for ~ $1500. He would probablly get more for it now.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had one for a while but didn't love it as much as I'd thought I would.

Amazing triggers.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've used a P7 PSP for CCW for a number of years, because it fits my hand better and points more naturally for me than anything else around. Yes, it is heavy for its capacity, the trigger can get hot if you shoot a lot of rounds quickly, it has a unique manual of arms. But, I can close my eyes, point it at something, open my eyes and the sights are right on. Your mileage may vary. And when I bought it I got it with 7 magazines for around $750.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,360
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.