-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a selection of Merino wool under layers from LL Bean, and they itch a bit. Nothing too bad, but they still itch. I bought different weights, but all the weights are pretty warm.
I bought mine on sale in February or so. Some colors were cheaper, and that is what I got.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by roundoak
"I've recently lost some weight, looking to replace old gear"

Health problems, Teal?.

Nope. Just was too fat. I'm still fat but not too fat. July 4 I started working on it. Really counting calories in, upping protein, cutting sugar by a very large amount and just really paying attention to not only what but how much I was eating. 4-5 Guinness a night, 4 nights a week adds a ton of empty calories even tho its a low cal beer. Always struggled with portion control. Got sick of it. My son graduates from basic training next month and I didn't want to be completely embarrassing when he introduced me to people. I expect to be down another 3-5 lbs by then.

I'm down 12% of my body weight and still working. I won't really need new gear this year, can make my old stuff work one more go but next year, I need new stuff. Actually a combo of too big and wore out. Mostly old Gander Mt. stuff from pre-2000.

If you have a "tailor" or seamstress in the area you may just look into having your old clothes that are still in decent shape "taken in" as we used to do in the Olden Days................you know, the 60's!

I can see replacing the worn out stuff, but if you have any stuff that's still serviceable, alterations might be the answer.

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Johnson woolen mill is still in business and makes traditional wool coats and pants and other stuff, but they aren't cheap.
https://johnsonwoolenmills.com

Johnson Mills and Filson are my choices for wool clothing.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by roundoak
"I've recently lost some weight, looking to replace old gear"

Health problems, Teal?.

Nope. Just was too fat. I'm still fat but not too fat. July 4 I started working on it. Really counting calories in, upping protein, cutting sugar by a very large amount and just really paying attention to not only what but how much I was eating. 4-5 Guinness a night, 4 nights a week adds a ton of empty calories even tho its a low cal beer. Always struggled with portion control. Got sick of it. My son graduates from basic training next month and I didn't want to be completely embarrassing when he introduced me to people. I expect to be down another 3-5 lbs by then.

I'm down 12% of my body weight and still working. I won't really need new gear this year, can make my old stuff work one more go but next year, I need new stuff. Actually a combo of too big and wore out. Mostly old Gander Mt. stuff from pre-2000.

If you have a "tailor" or seamstress in the area you may just look into having your old clothes that are still in decent shape "taken in" as we used to do in the Olden Days................you know, the 60's!

I can see replacing the worn out stuff, but if you have any stuff that's still serviceable, alterations might be the answer.

Good luck,

Geno

Nope, they need to come down a couple sizes. Like 3. Not a minor adjustment. Sucks to spend $$ but I'm healthier, feel better etc.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad for that Teal,

Enjoy the weight loss and extra enrgy

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a King of the Mountain for sale. I believe it is an XL. Been a long time since I looked at it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Johnson woolen mill is still in business and makes traditional wool coats and pants and other stuff, but they aren't cheap.
https://johnsonwoolenmills.com

That's what my wool stuff is.

My stuff is probably 20 yrs old now though.

Think I should warsh it?

They aren't giving them away are they?

BUT if they last.... annual cost ain't horrible.

I can check my local farm store and send you some pics of price tags. I didn't look at their website prices.

Something clever here.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries, not buying till after the season. Just plotting and planning.

Bow season Oct 1 and I've run out of things to think about otherwise.

Me

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have these:

https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product/wool-bib-overalls/

https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product/outdoorhunting-coat/

I'm curious so I'll check my local pricing against their website.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sent you a PM, Reloader.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I went to the old store where I got mine 2 decades ago, they look similar to johnson woolen but...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Big Bill" Made in canada.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
green bibs

[Linked Image]

green jacket (unlined)

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two of my favorite wool hunting items are the Commando sweater available from L.L.Bean. In my opinion they are even better than the ones that Cabela's offered several years ago.

As for a outer layer Check out Bemidji Woolen mills, I have the North shore double back double front Mackinaw. Very high quality and better prices that Filson or Woolrich, and I top it off with a Stormy Kromer.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by inland44
Two of my favorite wool hunting items are the Commando sweater available from L.L.Bean. In my opinion they are even better than the ones that Cabela's offered several years ago.

As for a outer layer Check out Bemidji Woolen mills, I have the North shore double back double front Mackinaw. Very high quality and better prices that Filson or Woolrich, and I top it off with a Stormy Kromer.

I've been to the bemidji store, in bemidji. Nice stuff. I have several items I've purchased for my family as gifts from them.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Big Bill stuff that Northern Dave posted pictures of is the Codet brand.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Fire...... dry it out.

I like it wet.😉

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple IceBreaker merino long sleeved shirts and they are the shizzle for a base layer.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Silent predator is another wool company.. Saw this at the SCI show looked good to me.. I think , but i could be wrong.. The prices are less then King of the Mountain, and Sleeping Indian....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
With wool, the "itch" comes from the length of the fiber. The less expensive brands use shorter length fiber material which gives the itch. The better stuff uses a longer cut fiber which gives little to no itch at all. Been using wool for decades, stinks less too after a couple days than man made fibers.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have a couple IceBreaker merino long sleeved shirts and they are the shizzle for a base layer.

Your an animal, that stuff would not work for a normal person...……... grin

NEVER GIVE UP
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.